User talk:Rtanglao/Roland Unofficial FF 57 Quantum Support Report
- An unofficial support work in progress always DRAFT report for Firefox 57 Desktop aka "Quantum" for power users and mozilla support volunteers, NOT for "normal" :-) users, what are we missing? either edit or irc me :rolandtanglao on #sumo or email me rtanglao AT mozilla.com or slack me @roland (you can find me in #sumo2). My apologies that some some of the linked documents are employee only; I wish we could be more "default by open" but not my call!
- After the end of the first 3 weeks we should do a pretty report in Google Docs with graphs!
- Also please note that we are not qualitative researchers, if you want something more scientific :-), please contact Matt Grimes of Strategy and Insights; his excellent team of qualitative and quantitative researchers can do something more formal and cool for you!
- 1 Source documents
- 2 14 November 2017 Launch Day
- 3 15 November 2017 Day 2
- 4 16 November 2017 Day 3
- 5 17 November 2017 Day 4
- 6 18 November 2017 Day 5
- 7 19 November 2017 Day 6
- 8 20 November 2017 Day 7
- 9 14-20 November 2017 Week 1
- 10 21-27 November 2017 Week 2
- 11 28-4 December 2017 Week 3
- 12 5-11 December 2017 Week 4
- 13 FF57-specific Things we learned from SUMO
- 14 Recurring non FF57-specific Things we learned from SUMO
- Firefox 57 Quantum SUMO contributor forum thread
- Rachel will be continuously updating Quantum SUMO Day Communication Plan for the first week of the release
- Rachel, Roland and Madalina are updating a more concise version: Quantum release daily report
- Comms & Community Control Center - Agenda / Actions
- firefox 57 point release ridealongs for Fennec and Desktop
- If we do a FF57 Quantum point release, it will have one or more of the bugs in the 57.x drivers/ride-alongs spreadsheet
- if people want to wait for their extensions to port to web extensions, they can use esr until july 3, 2018 i.,e. esr 59.2 RapidRelease/Calendar <--- kbrosnan (july 2,2018 and earlier, folks can continue to use ESR 52.x)
- 3rd party (not sure who maintains this?) list of extensions and web extension replacements
- Why Firefox Had to Kill Your Favorite Extension
- Are we Web Extensions yet :-) ?
- Extension Replacement Finder from Mozilla
- Favorite WebExtensions? thread from Mozilla Discourse
- MultiRows Bookmark userChrome.css hack from jscher as well as questions/1180489
14 November 2017 Launch Day
- @guigs-> "8,000 tweets 410 SUMO forum questions, 1K comments on Facebook" as of 3:50p.m. Pacific
15 November 2017 Day 2
found on SUMO
- bug 1417442 (found by SUMO and QA and RelMan volunteer philipp) <---- Colour distortion (purple/green) during video playbackon youtube and other sites; most of the affected users are on windows 8.1 with an amd gpu and older drivers. -- Please tag all relevant SUMO forum posts bug1417442 -- Potential workaround: the problem goes away when setting media.wmf.use-nv12-format to false
- 1) mostly happens old amd drivers and Windows 8.1
- 2) hot fix to flip pref for these people
- 3) if it works or we get a better solution , we will rename pref in nightly because otherwise can't tell if we changed it or a user changed it in future version which we need to know for future hotfixes
- anecdotally: pre-firefox-57 addons like NoScript not working, look and feel: tabs on bottom etc, losing bookmarks (had this in FF56)
16 November 2017 Day 3
found on SUMO
- madalina: "I also see a lot of questions related to accessibility/low vision. people cannot increase the fonts on the menu bar/bookmarks anymore
- madalina some anecdotal reports of poor battery life on os x, which is a known bug! bug 1404042 - not enough to be concerned about YET
- bug 1414964 font problem in 56 and 57 on windows, fixed in nightly in bug 1416229 SUMO question in Spanish
17 November 2017 Day 4
18 November 2017 Day 5
19 November 2017 Day 6
20 November 2017 Day 7
14-20 November 2017 Week 1
- bug 1418290 - Reports about serious performance regressions after the 57 update from users with a11y turned on
- bug 1417442 Colour distortion (purple/green) during video playback on youtube and other sites; most of the affected users are on windows 8.1 with an amd gpu and older drivers. FIXED with a hotfix today November 21, 2017 that should take approximately 3 days to rollout to 90% of users
- bug 1403737 Dataloss around session restore and upgrade: Not sure if this is specific to 57. We know session restore was a problem in 56 because the session restore files have been encrypted starting in FF56. Jscher2000 our ace SUMO volunteer wrote a script to help recover this: scrounger
- We also had folks complaining about their favourite add-on not working (because they haven't yet been or won't be ported to Web Extensions)
- We also had folks complaining about the user interface ; e.g. they want tabs on bottom and they want the old bookmark icon in the bar (it's removed by default and you can add it back with customize)
- poor battery life on os x due to use of the wrong scaling on macbook pro? bug 1404042
21-27 November 2017 Week 2
See Previous section i.e. week 1 ^^^^^^; most of the week 1 issues remain !
- FIXED! ---> bug 1415133 - Downgrading Firefox 57 to 52 ESR loses bookmarks
- bug 1416506 - Downgrading Firefox 57 to 52 ESR loses session
- We will probably have a Firefox 57.0.1 Quantum desktop dot release with fixes for one or more of the bugs in the 57.x drivers/ride-alongs spreadsheet.
Not sure about a Firefox 57 for Android point release!Yes, there will be a Firefox for Android 57.0.1 dot release as well!
- Looks like poor battery life on Mac OS X will be fixed in 59 and perhaps backported to 57 and 58; bug 1404042 ; reddit thread asking os x users for help on this battery issue
28-4 December 2017 Week 3
- bug 1421991 - Startup crash in banksafe.dll on Firefox 57.0.1 with G Data Security Software <-- found by Philipp fab relman and SUMO volunteer.
- Ben Hearsum: "Avast update requests do not send memory information nor the mig64 flag as part of their update requests. This means that these users have not had the opportunity to do 32-bit -> 64-bit migration."
- Dave Bolter: "This sounds like something we should get avast to fix in their updater -- specifically to do a 32/64 bit check and update the right Firefox"
- Romain Testard: "14% of our Windows users run Avast (snxhk64.dll)."
- Matt Howell: "Avast was contacted back in June about this by Mozilla" <--- [Roland] this is not specific to 57, because we started migration to 64 bit in FF56
bug 1417442 Colour distortion (purple/green) during video playback on youtube and other sites; most of the affected users are on windows 8.1 with an AMD gpu and older drivers. FIXED with a hotfix today November 21, 2017 that should take approximately 3 days to rollout to 90% of users and fixed in 57.0.1; there is an NVIDIA-specific bug that is similar to AMD-specific bug 1417442: bug 1422850
5-11 December 2017 Week 4
- Friday December 8, 2017: Firefox Quantum 57.0.2 released for GDATA DLL blocking and other fixes, released to Windows unlike 57.0.1
FF57-specific Things we learned from SUMO
- Users who do a Firefox Refresh or import of data from another browser resulting in bookmarks on their bookmark toolbar won't see the bookmark toolbar by default. This is leading some users to believe their bookmarks have been lost or not imported. <-- fixed in Firefox 58, bug 1415692 - New/Reset profiles should show the bookmarks toolbar if it contains non-default bookmarks
- We didn't realize that with the removal of XUL add-ons that users would use userChrome.css to do things like move the tab bar to be below the URL bar and other CSS tweaks, so we added a boolean to telemetry for Firefox 58 and up to tell us if there such a file at startup. Two line change! "Just log a boolean to reflect if the userChrome.css was successfully loaded at profile initialization, in the parent process." <- bug 1416044 - Add telemetry for userChrome.css usage