Firefox OS will land on devices in specific countries at different times. This project will allow us to use the snippets area of about:home to notify users only in those countries about the availability of Firefox OS devices.
Geolocated Snippets launched in Q12013.
- Code name: geolocated-snippets
- Prod URL:
- Stage URL:
- Dev URL:
- Code Repo:
- L10N Repo:
- Code: https://github.com/mozilla/geodude
- Product Owner: Engagement; Winston Bowden
- Dev Team: Web Production
- IRC Channel: #snippets on irc.mozilla.com
- Responsible: Justin Crawford
- Accountable: Winston Bowden
- Consulted: Privacy, Brand, IT, Security, Mike Kelly
- Informed: Chris More, Chris Beard, Dave Slater, Mary Colvig, Pete Scanlon
How does about:home decide what snippets to display?
Testing on Staging
The new client-side code is now online. This means there is a working end-to-end system ready for review. In order to exercise it, you need to take the following steps (in Firefox):
- Visit https://snippets.stage.mozilla.com/ and accept the security certificate.
- Navigate to about:config
- Search for browser.aboutHomeSnippets.updateUrl
- Change the url to https://snippets.stage.mozilla.com/%STARTPAGE_VERSION%/%NAME%/%VERSION%/%APPBUILDID%/%BUILD_TARGET%/%LOCALE%/%CHANNEL%/%OS_VERSION%/%DISTRIBUTION%/%DISTRIBUTION_VERSION%/
- After saving the value, restart the browser.
- Navigate to about:home.
- Open the Web Developer > Web Console (ctrl+shift+k).
- At the prompt (">") type the following and hit return: localStorage['snippets-last-update'] = 0
- At the prompt (">") type the following and hit return: localStorage.geoLastUpdated = 0
- Keep the Web Console open and refresh about:home. In the Web Console you should see a request to snippets.stage.mozilla.com and another request to geo.mozilla.com.
- At the prompt (">") type the following and hit return: localStorage.geoCountry
- You should see a country code derived from your IP address ("US" for United States).
You have now requested the new snippets code from the staging snippets server; and the new snippets code has made a request to the new geo server and stored the result in your browser. If you were in a country that had country specific snippets, you would see them. (There are none yet.)
To restore your browser, navigate to about:home again and modify the snippets server URL (steps 1-3 above). Its default value is:
- Weekly meeting 20130327
- Weekly meeting 20130320
- Weekly meeting 20130313
- 2013-03-08 QA Meeting
- Weekly meeting 20130306
- Weekly meeting 20130227
- Weekly meeting 20130220
- Weekly meeting 20130213
- Weekly meeting 20130206
- Opt-out meeting 20130205
- RASCI planning
- 20130123 planning kickoff