- 1 Video for today's meeting
- 2 Friends of the Tree
- 3 Upcoming Events
- 4 Product Status Updates
- 5 Speakers
- 6 Status Updates By Team
- 7 Introducing New Hires
- 8 Foundation Updates
- 9 Roundtable
Video for today's meeting
- The entire Softvision team in Romania for helping QA qualify every Firefox release this quarter and their continued participation in every testday. They have enabled quick turnaround on releases/chemspills, and enabled us to extend typical testday hours from 8 hours to 20 hours -- they make 'awesome' possible. (ashughes)
- Amy Rich and Chris Cooper for keeping the Thunderbird releng infrastructure online during a difficult move to a new data center (John O'Duinn)
- SUMO wants to thank Scoobidiver for being the most prolific writer and reviewer of knowledge base articles and for then turning around and localizing them all in French. We'd also like to thank Alice Wyman for her invaluable contributions to the SUMO knowledge base over the last three and a half years.
Monday, October 3
Tuesday, October 4
Wednesday, October 5
- Brownbag at 1PM pacific: "Structure and Motivation of a New Wiki to Better Enable Openness and Collaboration in Sustainability" - Ward Cunningham,
Thursday, October 6
- Brownbag at 12pm pacific: Mozilla The Musical-Asa Tells the Mozilla Story. Aimed at interns but open to anyone.
- Brownbag at 12:30pm pacific: Agile coach Elisabeth Hendrickson will give her presentation "Lessons Learned from 100+ (simulated) Agile Transitions"
Friday, October 7
- (QA) Firefox for Android testday focusing on performance and the new tablet UI
Product Status Updates
Firefox Future (8, 9, 10)
- We shipped Firefox 7!
- And then a quick update to fix disappearing (but not actually gone!) addons
- Public reaction seems really positive
- Next migration day is November 8
Firefox Current (3.6, 4.0-7.0)
- We intend to advertise 7.0.1 to 3.6 users on Thursday, October 6th...this week!
- If you know of any reasons why we should not, please email release-drivers
- There will be a 3.6.24, shipped with Firefox 8
- Not impacted by the ESR proposal
- Firefox 3.6 EOL is going to be determined by the outcome of ESR
The bigger issues
- Will Java front-end be feasible? Doug T. is driving toward an initial pros/cons analysis over the next week
- Flash support will land on nightly in the next few days, need to evaluate and set criteria for whether it would be good enough to ship (Note, this is smartphones only, because it's Gingerbread and earlier, not Honeycomb)
- Startup shrink continues. We're capturing baseline measurements for mem usage and responsiveness so that we can track optimization wins. We are also looking at analysis of metrics across release channel builds.
Top three customer issues and plan to fix
- Startup/stability; 38% of 1 & 2-star ratings on Android Market are "slow/unstable"; startupshrink project is the plan to fix
- Other performance themes: page loading performance and scrolling/panning performance; getting quit in the background; memshrink project is the plan to fix
Just landed in Aurora for Firefox 9
- Major tablet UX refresh - good feedback on input so far
- Webapps support
- More locale picker work
- Need to make decisions on:
- Flash on demand (front-end patch getting better)
- Featurettes, like the Clear Private Data changes (need to triage)
Nothing to see here. Move along, move along.
- Mozilla Festival in London, UK. Nov 4 - 6."Media, Freedom and the Web." Will include BBC, the Guardian, Boston Globe, Al Jazeera, Soundcloud, many others.
- Updated list of design challenges for you to get involved in: https://mozillafestival.org/program/design-challenges/
- Interested in participating? Register here.
The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It's like a lightning talk, but don't feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation.
|Aakash Desai||Mozillians.org 1.0||Mozillians.org site||Mozillians Project Wiki|
|Michael Coates||Mozilla Web Bounty Update||Web Bounty Presentation||Mozilla Bounty Program Details|
Status Updates By Team
- Test Execution
- AMO 6.2.5 push
- SUMO http://moxie.jamessocol.com/bugstats/sumo/2011-09-27
- Socorro 2.2.4, and a small security fix
- Mozilla.org Firefox 7 push
- QA Community
- Automation Services
- Selenium 2.7.0 has been released
- Adding Mozmill tests to the Selenium IDE build system - http://blargon7.com/2011/09/adding-mozmill-tests-to-the-selenium-ide-build-system/
Automation & Tools
- Desperately need a hand with bug 621363 if you can help, ping khuey and jmaher
- Bug Correlations landed on the War on Orange site, take a look to see how your oranges relate to one another.
- Besides making an awesome maple-chocolate-bacon cake, Trevor put his tegra pool online. If you need to check out a tegra for debugging and want to try it out, ping tfair.
- More notes and status here
Security Reviews Scheduled for this week
|Date / Time||Item|
|Mon Oct 3 / 13:00 PST||Graphite Font Shaping 631479|
|Mon Oct 3 / 15:00 PST||Full Screen API|
|Tue Oct 4 / 10:00 PST||XHR rewrites non-POST methods upon 301/302 redirects 598304, 676059, 676829|
|Wed Oct 5 / 13:00 PST||Expose Add-On Performance|
|Thu Oct 6 / 10:00 AM PST||Safe Browsing Backend - Mobile|
- Firefox 7 arrives with reduced memory footprint
- Mozilla puts Firefox 7 on memory diet, patches 11 bugs
- Seven Good Reasons to Upgrade to Firefox 7
- Speedier Firefox 7 Uses Less Memory
- Firefox 8 beta brings Twitter search, tab controls
- Firefox 8.0 beta released, brings Twitter search, tab animations and more
Introducing New Hires
- Rail Aliiev: joining the Build & Release team, managed by Chris Atlee, located in the Toronto office.
- Michael Bebenita: joining the Research Engineering team, managed by Andreas Gal, located in the Mtn. View Office.
- Martin Best: joining the Engineering team, managed by Sheila Mooney, located in the Toronto office.
- Kartikaya Gupta: joining the Platform Engineering team, managed by Brad Lassey, located in the Toronto Office.
- John Jensen: joining the Market Insights team, managed by Patrick Finch, located in the Vancouver office.
- Victor Ng: joining the Services team, managed by Mike Connor, located in Newmarket, ON.
- Gregor Wagner: joining the Content team, managed by Johnny Stenback, located in the Mtn. View office.
- Jeff Beatty: joining the l10n team, managed by Axel Hecht, working remotely in Utah.
- Arron Schaar: joining the Web Dev team, working on the Add-on Builder out of the Mountain View office.