FAQ: How to Work Open at Mozilla
Frequently Asked Questions and helpful resources for when, why and how to work open at Mozilla. Got a question? Please add it below! This is a work in progress we're going to tackle together at the 2013 Mozilla Summit.
- What does "working in the open" mean at Mozilla?
- Why does Mozilla do it?
- How has it changed?
- What are examples of how working open has made Mozilla successful?
- What's hard about working open?
- What if I don't believe in the benefits?
- When there's a conflict between openness and business requirements, how should we navigate that?
- What are some examples of failures / areas we've done badly?
Strategies and Tactics
- How do you work open? What are some specific strategies, tactics and best practices?
- How do different parts of Mozilla take up working open differently? (e.g., design vs. communications vs. QA) What can we learn from each other?
- What resources are available for guidance and help?
- Clips on working open -- Mitchell Baker -- Keynote from MozCamp Berlin: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Contribute/Videos#Berlin_Keynote
- Minimum Viable Bureaucracy (video) https://air.mozilla.org/minimum-viable-bureaucracy/
- 7 Lessons From Mozilla (former Mozilla CEO John Lilly)
- Tips for how to work in an open community (Gervase Markham) (video) http://mzl.la/18pwxmT
- How to work open -- by Mozilla's @OpenMatt http://openmatt.org/2011/04/06/how-to-work-open/
- Tips and Best Practises for Community Building https://wiki.mozilla.org/Contribute
- Mozilla Community Stewards newgroup: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Why and how to work open, from a People team offsite. Rough notes from David Boswell & Dia: http://mzl.la/1fveQc8
Resources about the open web:
- Wikipedia definition for the open web: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Web
- "What is the open web" by Tantek : http://tantek.com/2010/281/b1/what-is-the-open-web
Ways to Work Open at Mozilla:
- Hanging out in IRC / #peoplepeople IRC channel: irc://moznet/peoplepeople
- Join Grow Mozilla meetings: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Grow/Meetings
- Take part in discussions on public forums: https://www.mozilla.org/about/forums/
- Example of a public Google Group: http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.governance/topics
- Posting on Yammer: https://www.yammer.com/mozilla.com/
- Blogging on about:community (or your own blog): https://blog.mozilla.org/community/
- Lightning Talk at Monday All Hands: https://wiki.mozilla.org/WeeklyUpdates
- Creating project wiki pages: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Capture_Mozilla