Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
- Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
- Vidyo Guest URL
These notes are read by people who weren't able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.
- 1 Actions from Last Week
- 2 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- 3 Feedback Summary
- 4 UX & User Research
- 5 Market Insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team
- 6 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- 7 Questions, Comments, FYI
- 8 Actions this week
Actions from Last Week
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- Firefox 22 is shipped, throttled, will sign off on unthrottling tomorrow
- Firefox ESR 17.0.7 is released
- FF 23 beta 1 built, with QA, shipping tomorrow
- Mixed Content Blocker shipping in 23 - please help spread the word to put pressure on sites to update, there will be a blog post published on Future of Firefox blog on Thursday alongside beta 1 release
- We will begin having multiple beta releases in a week - starting next week - (not in the first & last weeks of beta) - so there will be two beta releases next week one kicks off on Monday, ships as soon as viable, the other on Thursday
- Aurora updates throttled, FF24 Aurora updates on Friday
- IT#9 finished yesterday on June 25.
- IT#9 status report will be distributed on Thursday June 27 - expect a 1-iteration increase in our development complete forecast.
- Regression testing IT#1 - IT#9 starts today.
- Metro Test Day this Friday on June 28: https://metro.etherpad.mozilla.org/metrotestday-20130628
- Iteration#10 runs from June 26 - July 11.
18 Total; 0 Open (0%); 15 Resolved (83.33%); 3 Verified (16.67%);
- [ON TRACK] Firefox Health Report <==FHR landed just in time for beta 1, a million thanks to espressive, laura, abc for getting about:healthreport deployed on time and to liuche for getting the entry point uplifted. Feature review mid-cycle to be sure we are on track for GA
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Turkish
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Hungarian
- [ON TRACK] Awesomebar and Awesomescreen improvements
- [ON TRACK] Reader improvements <== initial changes but marketing push is set for fx24
- [ON TRACK] L10N foundation improvements
- [ON TRACK] UI for changing search engine default in add-on manager
- [ON TRACK] RSS/Atom feed handling
- [ON TRACK] API: Payments <== not exposed to users
- [AT RISK] Dynamic URL bar <==almost on track, giving it a week on beta
- [ON TRACK] Mixed content <==landed pref'd off one release early, polish work is underway we'll give it some time prior to committing but want to call out that it landed prior to the merge \o/
- [ON TRACK] Reader improvements
- [ON TRACK] NFC bump for tab sharing
- [ON TRACK] Gecko Webview phase 1
- [ON TRACK] Geolocation services inc opt-in menu item
- [ON TRACK] Packaged apps foundations, but not exposed until the WebApp Experience has landed
- [ON TRACK] API: Web Audio
- [ON TRACK] Quickshare
- [ON TRACK] Firefox Icon rebrand
- [ON TRACK] Change default search engine for zh-CN
- [AT RISK] Set Top Box optimization
- [AT RISK] Directional game console navigation
- [AT RISK] Dynamic Snippets
- [AT RISK] API: Push notifications (won't be uplifted past beta?)
- [AT RISK] Add-on definition in distribution files
- [AT RISK] WebRTC platform support, preffed ON
- [ON TRACK] Added locales: en-GB, sv-SE and ca-ES
- [ON TRACK] SkiaGL improvement <== great progress being made
- [ON TRACK] Mixed content <== will officially bump this up once we have some traction on polish during this release cycle
- [PLANNED] API: Contacts <== will likely be bumped to 'on track'
- [PLANNED] Privileged apps support <== hack week happening and we'll evaluate based upon progress
- [PLANNED] About:home redesign <== consensus is to stabilize on fig; need to triage and ID merge-blockers. Polish hack-week targeted for late July
- [PROPOSED] API: Web activities
- [PROPOSED] Settings UI clean-up including search provider management
Desktop Sentiment Report 21 available here. Hoping for more awesomeness in 22!
Sentiment Report for Firefox 21 on Android is now live, view them here!
Watching Firefox 22 feedback closely.
UX & User Research
Market Insights from the Product Marketing Strategy Team
- The first phones and tablet running Tizen will be released in Japan by NTT Docomo in Q3 or Q4 of this year. There are 2 phones, both produced by Samsung, one code named Samurai and one with the nummber SGH - No55, as well as a 10 inch tablet, produced by Shisutena, that will run a 1.4 GHz quad - core processor with 2 GB of RAM and 32 GB of storage, 2 MP rear camera and 0.3 MP front - facing camera.
- Worldwide devices (the combined shipments of PCs, tablets and mobile phones) are projected to reach 2.35 billion units in 2013, a 5.9 percent increase from 2012, according to Gartner. The market is being driven by sales in tablets, smartphones, and to a lesser extent, ultramobiles, as PC shipments are on the decline. The tablet and smartphone markets are facing some challenges as these devices gain longer life cycles. There has also been a shift as many consumers go from premium tablets to basic tablets. The share of basic tablets is expected to increase faster than anticipated, as sales of the iPad Mini already represented 60 percent of overall iOS tablet sales in the first quarter of 2013.
- The importance of Asia - Pacific in the mobile industry has been further evidenced by a report released by the GSMA. Around half of the world's mobile connections are in the region, with 1.6 billion unique subscribers. In 2012, mobile contributed to $1 trillion of GDP in the area, but in 2013 it will amount to 3.3 trillion. A significant shift in consumption is happening, as growth of voice traffic is only at 6%, while data sees a 142% increase. 3G penetration is significant in the more developed parts, like Australia, SouthKorea, Singapore and Malaysia, which are countries that are also introducing 4G. India, Bangladesh, China, Indonesia and Malaysia still have a majority of their their networks to shift over from 2G to 3G. South Korea is by far the most advanced in terms of technology adoption with only 3G and 4G networks. The whole report is worth a read.
- The Dolphin mobile browser has announced 80 million downloads and a version 10. With a new UI, a Web app store, increased number of available search engines (Amazon, Twitter, Wikipedia, eBay, YouTube, Facebook), 60+ speed dial slots and single swipe access to the browser menu, tab list or the gestures menu, Dolphin marks the 10th version. The 80 million downloads number does not represent active users; the Play Store puts them at between 10 and 50 million installs.
- Telefonica has announced a joint marketing campaign with Microsoft around Windows Phone in the UK, Germany, Spain, Mexico, Brazil and Chile. The strategic incentive is the break down of the Android / iOS duopoly. The Verge: "Telefónica says it is “firmly committed” to encouraging new mobile operating platforms – it was one of the first to back newcomer Firefox OS – and will be working with leading Windows Phone 8 device manufacturers to ensure that their handsets are on store shelves during the renewed marketing campaign."
- The Nokia Asha 501, $99 device positioned to compete with the low - end of Android, is launching in Thailand and Pakistan this week and will continue to roll - out in subsequent weeks across the whole globe except for North America. This is the most advanced of the Asha series to resemble a smartphone. It comes with a low resolution 3 - inch touchscreen and a 3.2 MP QVGA camera.
- WhatsApp announced that it reached more than 250 million active users, which puts it in the same league as Twitter, Skype, Facebook Messenger.
Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- Firefox 22 now live, see blog post here
- Consumer Value Proposition Discovery: Reviewing two proposals from market research firms
- Search Engine Optimization: Vendor has almost been finalized [Laura & Intern Tim]
- Indonesian Community Campaign: Viking from our Indonesian community is currently designing a desktop based campaign to run nationally in Indonesia
- First Run Testing: Early results show that Product focused messaging receives more engagement (measured by clicks) than current brand messaging. Testing will continue.
- Australis Redesign: User Research, worth it's weight in gold. Our marketing communications plan will be based off of the responses we're seeing here. Check it out if you haven't already. Can we do this weekly, for every new feature, pretty please?
- Facebook Messenger Investigation: We'll potentially have answers within the next month to help us decipher if adoption of this feature related to higher/lower ADI rates.
- New Firefox earns full WebRTC
- Mozilla Firefox
- Firefox 22 Launches With Built-In Asm.js And WebRTC Support
- New Firefox 22 enables browser-based file-sharing
- Mozilla Firefox for Android
- Firefox updated to support 3D games, video calls and more
- Mozilla Update Firefox 22 for WebRTC and Security