- Web Compatibility Meeting - 2016-08-30
- Minutes: Previous 2016-08-23
Is Gecko AMP compatible? (karl)
AMP is a new format controlled by Google targeting the News outlets. They will give it a preferential position in search results. Is Gecko compatible with AMP in terms of support and performance compared to Blink and WebKit? https://www.ampproject.org/
- karl: Summary of AMP: AMP is a combination of things. Facebook launched a thing called "Instant Articles", and Google also wanted something competitive with this, and to have good perf for displaying news on the web. So they created AMP. It forbids some HTML elements, some CSS properties, also uses some custom elements. There's a couple of ad networks with are whitelisted as well.
- karl: In terms of technical discussion, is Gecko performant enough with AMP format? Compared to Chrome?
- mike: Do you think there's a larger issue with perf or with compat?
- karl: We need to dig into it. My first impression is that with the shim, it should be OK for compatibility. But shims, etc. can create issues. But I don't know how we fare with custom elements, compared to Chrome.
- mike: So it's something we just need to investigate.
- karl: And we need to approach this from a technical point of view.
- mike: Create a new product called research and put this in there? Investigation, bikeshed? ACTION ITEM: Mike to file a bug. Karl and Mike to start investigation (Karl to start with Custom Elements, Mike w/ JS libs).
WebCompat workshop summary (mike)
I want to quickly show everyone what I did for the webcompat workshop for BrazilJS and talk about what worked and what didn't. It would be cool to have a decent set of materials for others to use (as a base), we could start with what I have.
- mike: We did a workshop in Brazil about Web Compatibility. It was supposed to be 4 hours. I asked questions to the crowd to poll information about the type of people attending. I introduced Web Compat. Discussion followed up about the Web, the open Web. People feel passionately about it. We talk about W3C design principles, Mozilla Manifesto. What all this means for Web Compat. I talked about https://webcompat.com/ but it was awkward because of the timing. The Web Compat issues were the biggest hits. Talked about APIs, UA sniffing, etc. Explained how to file bug reports. Not a lot people know how to file bug reports. I misjudged the time it would take. We introduced devtools. We passed around a sheet of paper asking people to show their own tricks and how people use the tools. We need to hear more from other people. I show them tools. We ended up doing group practices with different levels. We tried with Level 1 with nipponcolors Web site. Everybody participated. Etc. Getting people to participate was really successful. I asked Abdul about the participation in the workshop in India. Thanks Abdul for the summary email. It's cool and terrifying to do this kind of exercise.
- karl: I think you could write a blog post, what things that worked and things that didn't work. It will give a practical reference for others wanting to do similar things.
- karl: I was wondering, if it's prepared in advance. The organizer will say, it's partly a clinic for their own issues. Ask people to come with their issues -- but this would need to communicated well in advance, ideally so the person giving the workshop can know what the issues might be as well.
- mike: I need to write a blog post. I will put also the slides on GitHub. Feel free to fork, improve or ignore.
- karl: The most important thing, you didn't mention.
Closing webcompat.com issues if there is a Bugzilla bug (denschub)
I am quite unsure on how to proceed with webcompat.com bugs that are tracked in Bugzilla, https://github.com/webcompat/web-bugs/issues/1983#issuecomment-243409017 for example. I've seen them getting closed as dupes of the Bugzilla bug and that's what I do at the moment, but there are also some issues that have been left at needsdiagnosis until the Bugzilla issue is closed. What to do?
- mike: There are different type of theories. But yes usually I close the issues as duplicate when the bug on Bugzilla will fix the issue.
- karl: It depends on the issue, I think. If the issue is in Gecko, in core. If you fix it, you end up fixing many issues. But there are cases where a 3rd party library is used. You have another bug open for that library, so even if you fix that -- you still haven't fixed the website. But then you need them to upgrade.
- karl: If you're sure the bug in Bugzilla will fix the issue, close as duplicate. For example, HLS issues.
- dennis: OK, sounds good.
Mike's Stalking (karl)
last week meeting.
- karl: We discussed this a bit last week. Just a summary (because I know you didn't read the minutes). Basically you have access to a lot of good information in platform. And we would like to know more about it. It's true for all of us in the team.
- karl: There's something I have started to do from a few weeks ago. When there's a bug that is related to web compat, I'm adding a whiteboard keyword [webcompat]. We'll see after a while maybe it will be easier to track things. Think about adding [webcompat] to these bugs.
- mike: there used to be a platform engineering meeting for managers, but they killed it. And now, there is a meeting by Über-managers. Another one (triage meeting?) is about release and what is blocking releases specifically about webcompat for me.
- mike: news soon, probably next week. In October.
Broken Voices of the Web
- 2016-08-29 - A Shrödinger select menu with display: none on option
- 2016-08-28 - (worklog) Edition 033. Season of typhoons. Bugs clean-up
Web Compatibility Progress
FIXED (no DUPLICATE)
- 2016-08-25 Desktop Image tag won't display image from end point FIXED
- 2016-08-25 Desktop unt.edu - University of North Texas federal document archives content missing INVALID
- 2016-08-25 Desktop live.com - Windows Live thinks Minefield is a mobile phone FIXED
- 2016-08-26 Desktop Underline on abbr elements FIXED
- 2016-08-26 Desktop miguelsworldofpercussion.com - The sound is missing... INVALID
- 2016-08-26 Desktop westjet.com - Site Sniffs for Firefox, Fails in Varying Degrees in Other Gecko Browsers WONTFIX
- 2016-08-26 Desktop hbo.com - inaccessible site content: SeaMonkey not "supported" WORKSFORME
- 2016-08-26 Desktop (ietestcenter) HTML5 Foreign Content 2/24: Test passes if 'FillerText' is rendered as italic. WONTFIX
- 2016-08-26 Desktop (ietestcenter) HTML5 Foreign Content 12/24: Test passes if a green square appears above a black square. WONTFIX
- 2016-08-26 Desktop The left cloud on "New day" CSS demo does not render well INVALID
- 2016-08-26 Desktop Check to ensure WMP versions and installation are compat with firefox 4. INVALID
- 2016-08-26 Desktop www.royalpaper.us - Firefox not displaying PHP files on websites properly FIXED
- 2016-08-26 Desktop No Comply demo doesn't work INVALID
- 2016-08-26 Desktop docs.google.com/spreadsheet tells me (SeaMonkey) is an unsupported Firefox version WORKSFORME
- 2016-08-26 Desktop The HTML 5 web app hosted at https://www.cubeslam.com/ does not load FIXED
- 2016-08-26 Desktop Go to meeting doesn't work INVALID
- 2016-08-28 Desktop Google search doesn't work with cookies disabled WORKSFORME
- 2016-08-29 Desktop videos on tagesschau.de only loading sometimes WORKSFORME
- 2016-08-29 Desktop Some Turkish government sites uses old TLS implementation FIXED
- 2016-08-29 Desktop (Watuu) (Desktop) Buy on iTunes link directs to different domain. INVALID
- 2016-08-29 Desktop (Desktop)(Windows) App can be launched multiple times INVALID
- 2016-08-29 Desktop Hotspot Shield VPN upselling interception page has white background, since Landing of Bug 1176496, due to incorrect standardized gradient syntax WORKSFORME
- 2016-08-29 Desktop icheck.sita.aero security error INVALID
- 2016-08-29 Desktop Draytek router status page has white-text-on-white-background, if -moz prefixed gradients aren't honored FIXED
- 2016-08-29 Desktop muni.org - Selection of icon has no effect - IE expands icon to additional selections INVALID
- 2016-08-29 Desktop ommni.com - Can't log in WONTFIX
- 2016-08-29 Desktop sportsline.com - Live scoring script loop triggers the "run slowly" alert INVALID
- 2016-08-29 Desktop hotmail.com - Windows Live Hotmail (full version) warns on login when accessed from non-Firefox Gecko browsers WORKSFORME
- 2016-08-29 Desktop us.etrade.com - ETrade portfolio view does not wrap like IE when viewing "All Brokerage Accounts" FIXED
- 2016-08-29 Desktop (royalcaribbean.com) Royal Carribean 360 tour uses bad Quicktime plugin invocation WONTFIX
- 2016-08-29 Desktop Zimbra Calendar Textarea description doesnt work on Trunk builds INVALID
- 2016-08-29 Desktop Psychedelic Browsing: the page doesn't refresh when the browser is resized, links get messed up INVALID
- 2016-08-29 Desktop Higher setTimeout/setInterval clamping in inactive tabs breaks countdown scripts FIXED
- 2016-08-29 Desktop Letter-HEADS demo, clothing buttons are drawn outside the ovals INVALID
- 2016-08-29 Desktop simplemachines.org - Cannot download zip file due to broken content-disposition header (due to user-agent sniffing) FIXED
- 2016-08-29 Desktop IE SVGGradientBackgroundMaker demo renders with a square SVG background inside of a rectangular div, after Bug 609714 landed FIXED
- 2016-08-29 Desktop www.scribd.com overlays text in PNG image with little black squares WORKSFORME
- 2016-08-29 Desktop secure.dominos.co.in has multiple configuration issues (supports export cipher suites etc) INVALID
- 2016-08-29 Desktop Quick edit not working on IPB 2.x WORKSFORME
- 2016-08-29 Desktop https://www.techsmith.com/ CSS broken with mixed content blocking FIXED
- 2016-08-29 Desktop https://twitpic.com/ does not work properly because of mixed content blocking INVALID
- 2016-08-29 Desktop https://www.dell.com/ does not work properly because of mixed content blocking FIXED
- 2016-08-29 Desktop https version of getglue breaks site majority of site functionality due mixed content block INVALID
- 2016-08-29 Desktop https://cheezburger.com/6420173568 generates errors because of mixed content blocking FIXED
- 2016-08-29 Desktop https://www.kaskus.co.id/ does not work properly because of mixed content blocking FIXED
- 2016-08-29 Desktop Cannot login on developer.jcdecaux.com FIXED
- 2016-08-29 Desktop QuickTime controls bar is missing WORKSFORME
- 2016-08-29 Desktop superstarracing.net does not send complete cert chain (and is POODLE vulnerable) WONTFIX
- 2016-08-30 Desktop cannot add Youtube comments - just get a popup window WORKSFORME
- 2016-08-30 Desktop deviantart notifications not shown, too much recursion WORKSFORME
- 2016-08-30 Desktop Version 40 killed HP Simple Pass on HP laptop INVALID
- 2016-08-30 Desktop Full screen transition is not quite atomic on Air Mozilla WONTFIX
- 2016-08-30 Desktop chase.com thinks latest stable Firefox is out of date if any additional tokens in User-Agent WORKSFORME
- 2016-08-30 Desktop Unusable scroll bars in Google Group posts WORKSFORME
- 2016-08-30 Desktop http://gismap.taichung.gov.tw/ doesn't show maps in any Linux browser WORKSFORME
- 2016-08-30 Desktop LinkedIn "People You May Know" page does not work with mouse when touch events are enabled FIXED
- 2016-08-30 Mobile tv-asahi.co.jp: width of display: table-cell element calculated larger than in Chrome FIXED