From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Meeting: Mobile Web Compatibility Weekly
Chair: Karl Dubost
Scribe: Mike Taylor
Regrets: Lawrence (Thanks giving), 

Topic: previous meeting, next meeting

Next meeting: The next meeting will be on October 21, 2013. We need a chair for the next meeting. I will not be able to be here.

Topic: Mozilla Summit (kdubost)

You went to the 2013 Mozilla Summit. What did you see, felt, related to Web compatibility. Anything more to discuss with regards to what you have written already?

  • Mike Taylor report (Toronto) and also additional notes
  • Brad Lassey report (Brussels)
  • karl: I was not there, but all of you were there. I was wondering if there was anything that you would like to add to the discussion. Does anybody want to talk about this?
  • hallvord: I don't remember much of the discussion during our session, I was messing around with AV issues.


  • vishy: I sent out my notes from Santa Clara. I met this person called Theinos who is doing exactly what we're doing and he's started communicating with us on our lists.
  • karl: This is very cool. Finally it's happening. :)
  • vishy: He's a Mozilla rep also. I sent out an email with some suggestions about how to get the Reps program involved into this. Heilmann mentioned a SIG (special interest group) within the reps program related to compat. Once you create a SIG, it becomes part of the agenda when they meet. It kind of formalizes their involvement. I can take an action on learning more on this. Mike also said he wanted to learn more about this.
  • brad: I want to cc whoever is in charge of the rep program, who is that?
  • karl: there is the moz rep list. we have interacted already with the list. But I don't understand fully this concept of SIG.
  • vishy: cheilman explained it like so: mozreps are a uber community within the community. to become a rep, you have to have cred within the community. as a rep, they can run events, they get access to swag, they can provide resources. they're one step closer to staff in this sense. they have focus areas like i18n (& other stuff), that's what this SIG is.
  • karl: did you like the summit?
  • mike: for me the open sessions were cool. The only sad part was that we didn't have a lot of people something around ~10, but there were around 20 sessions at the same time. It was still internal thinking more than community.
  • brad: we had a mix of employees and external. the guy whose name i didn't get who is working on educational software, he came because he needs to make sure that his content works across all devices. He was asking more practical questions.
  • karl: If I understand, we should have something like a small set of slides that reps can show explaining the issues.
  • mike: on the dev-engagement team there was someone who said if we were providing two slides they could insert in their own presentation. We should ask them what format they need. We could also create them and host them on our own wiki.
  • hallvord: I felt like we were struggling to really convey the issues during our first session. I wonder if the community doesn't fully understand it, not using Firefox for Android or FxOS. I made up a small presentation. It's a work in progress.

Topic: Site Spidering (hallvors)

Seif Lofty has started to help us with site spidering. He has been creating a code which will have an infrastructure with 101 VM for exploring a large list of sites. That could become an invaluable resource of data [1] Also related to survey farm testing

  • hallvord: I met up with Seif and he's basically doing web spidering for a hobby-slash-business. He was really enthusiastic about the possibility that this infrastructure would be useful to Mozilla. He's using a WebKit backend with some python scripts, but is interested in using Gecko/Marionette in the future. I said it sounded really interesting and we discussed kinds of testing that he could do.
  • karl: It seems quite big the infrastructure he has access to. I was wondering if he has authorization to let us use these tools.
  • hallvord: It's just his side project, so there shouldn't be any issues.
  • karl: What are his expectations for helping us?
  • hallvord: He seems like an enthusiastic Mozillian, just helping out.
  • karl: That's kind of cool. The fact that it's in Python makes me happy.
  • mike: Where is he based?
  • hallvord: Germany.
  • karl: I would love to see the first results.
  • hallvord: We've also had some nice work being done in Greece and China. Both the Greece spreadsheet and the China PDF show issues that are not in the bugtracker. So it seems the spidering will help us identify lots of issues.
  • karl: If I understood what he said on IRC today, it was a real browser not a headless browser that he was using in a VM.
  • hallvord: Yes, it's a real browser instance so he's able to get screenshots, etc. Some of the tests that we're doing: redirects, CSS, markup comparison. The markup comparison is very complicated. We're hoping to compare the serialized DOM.

Topic: Broken Voices of the Web

Topic: Things which have been discussed

These are a list of topics, we need to explore further and take action items. It usually needs an owner and a set of actions. Putting them here for not forgetting about them. (this could become the start of a newsletter about the project by month)

Topic: Web Compatibility Progress



Tracked Actions


(move the DONE action items below and add the string DONE and possibly link to the record)

  • TODO-20130715-01: kdubost have a panorama of tools used by Web developers for testing. Write a post about it.
  • TODO-20130805-02: hallvord to test in bulk if Web sites are still working with a device information into the UA string Firefox OS. (Bug 901039)
  • TODO-20130806-01: kdubost to create a script to automatically compile stats from Tech Evangelism - Mobile. See email.
  • TODO-20130819-01 kdubost to create a first workflow for Web Badges for the community with Carla Cassili
  • TODO-20130819-03: lmandel to follow up with Gerv about posting UA device/model recommendations on MDN.
  • TODO-20130826-01: kdubost to create an intro guide to be ready to participate to Web Compatibility effort.
  • TODO-20130826-02: kdubost to create 101 on Web compatibility issues so Mozilla employes have handy materials to discuss with partners.
  • TODO-20131013-01: kdubost to post the contacts that we develop through our efforts.
  • TODO-20131013-02: kdubost to prepare two slides about Web Compatibility for people to be ready to use.