Mobile Web Compatibility
What Are Web Compatibility Issues?
A person should be able to use the Web with whichever device and browser they are using.
Unfortunately, some developers by choice or negligence will make their Web sites unusable by specific devices or browsers. We need to open up the Web to any rendering engines (Blink, Gecko, Trident, etc.) and/or browsers, when used on mobile devices.
There are 4 key problem areas that must be addressed:
- user agent (UA) detection
- specific CSS prefixes (such as WebKit)
- specific DOM/JS/content (such as WebKit)
- Gecko limitations (for Mozilla)
The vague goal for this project is to open up the mobile Web to all browsers. A specific project goal is being defined by the market insights, product, and project management teams.
- In scope
- Any site with a mobile version
- Any locale
- Out of scope
- Site enhancements
- Firefox OS or Firefox Marketplace apps
- Issues created by add-ons or ad-blockers
Fixing the Web will only be successful with the efforts of everyone (Web site developers, Volunteers, Partners, and Mozilla employees). Mozilla can't do it alone.
- Web Compatibility 101 (@@TODO@@)
- Subscribe to Web Compatibility (Archives)
- Read the previous meetings minutes
- How to participate?
- Reporting Web sites issues
- Analyzing Web sites issues
- Contacting Web sites for solving the issues
- Ways to contribute
Moved to projects page of Compatibility
Press & Blog Posts
Our blog posts are aggregated through Planet Web Compatibility. You will also find an history of our blog posts in the meeting minutes, check for the section "Broken Voices Of the Web"
- Mar 1, 2013 - Lawrence Mandel: Help Wanted: Firefox OS UA Detection
- Oct 30, 2012 - Website Evangelism: Mobilizing Mozilla (Gerv Markham)
Minutes and Progress Reports
This section has been moved to Meetings.
We might be somewhere in the world, close to you and maybe we can find a way to help you kick start a Web Compatibility Activity in your own country. Or you want us to speak at a conference.
Here we provide links to presentations about the WebCompat effort.
- https://miketaylr.com/pres/thunderplains/ by Mike Taylor
- Building for the Mobile Web by Lawrence Mandel
|Project Management||Mike Taylor (irc: miketaylr)|
|Bugs Analysis and Contacts||Hallvord Steen (irc: hallvors), Mike Taylor (irc: miketaylr), Karl Dubost (irc: karlcow), [[User:|Adam Stevenson]] (irc: adam_s)|
|Community Participation||Some people are participating on a very regular basis on both Bugzilla and Webcompat.com. New participation is welcome.|
Volunteers Leading Web Compatibility efforts
You can be part of it. Check how-to start your own local community, read the Guide, be an ambassador for the project, and take a free space down there or create a new locale if it doesn't exist yet. It's really up to you on making the Web more accessible by anyone. We can help you to start. The full list of countries
|Activities||Leader||Joined on (Left)|
|Brazil||Leo Balter||October 2013|
|Brazil||Daniel Filho||October 2013|
|Brazil||Fabricio Zuardi||October 2013|
|Germany||Sezen Günes||February 2014|
|Greece||Thanos Lefteris||October 2013|
|India||Abdul Rauf (irc: haseeb)||October 2013|
|Mexico||Alex Mayorga||November 2013|
|Sweden||Oliver Propst||January 2014|
|Venezuela||Leonard Camacho||October 2014|
|Infrastructure||Seif Lotfy||October 2013|
|Infrastructure/webcompat.com||Guillaume Demesy||May 2014|
|Infrastructure/webcompat.com||Daniel Davis||June 2014|
|Communication||Kohei Yoshino||October 2013|
|UX/Design/webcompat.com||Alexa Roman||January 2014|
- Firefox goes 2-digit, time to check your UA sniffing scripts
- Vendor Prefixes Are Hurting the Web
- DOM properties that pose potential compat issues
- IE srcelement bug 453968
- Gecko CSS vendo-prefix Compatibility
- Analysis of the use of vendor-specific CSS property prefixes on the web bug 708406
- Google Web fonts
- Gecko user agent string reference
- Changing the UA string
- Fennec User Agent
- Writing forward-compatible websites
- Site Evangelism Letters from previous evangelism effort
- Site feedback from input.mozilla.org
- Add device info to User-Agent bug 625238
- CoreMob (www.coremob.org): Mobile Web App Profile (from W3C)
- Firefox bug-a-thon
- Vladimir Vukićević: Using a Caching Proxy Server for Web Demos
- bug 666041 CSS Flexbox Layout Level 3
- Web Compat job descriptions etherpad
- Gecko Improvements from Mobile Web Compat Effort