Meeting: Mobile Web Compatibility Weekly Agenda: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/webcompat Chair: Karl Scribe: Mike Regrets:
- 1 Topic: next meeting
- 2 Topic: $NAME webtesting tool (seif/hallvord)
- 4 Topic: PASS/FAIL webtesting tool (seif/hallvord)
- 5 Topic: Next presentation on WeeklyUpdate meeting (lmandel)
- 6 Topic: RSS/ATOM feed for planet.webcompat.com? (lmandel)
- 7 Topic: Broken Voices of the Web
- 8 Topic: Things which have been discussed
- 9 Topic: Web Compatibility Progress
- 10 Tracked Actions
Topic: next meeting
Next meeting: The next meetings will be on
- December 9, 2013.
- December 16, 2013
- December 23, 2013 [CANCELED FOR HOLIDAYS]
- December 30, 2013 [CANCELED FOR HOLIDAYS]
- January 6, 2014
(Dec 20 to January 1: Holidays)
Topic: $NAME webtesting tool (seif/hallvord)
Do you have a status? (to send to the list)
- seif: We've already started testing. I've just found a performance issue. We're running actual X sessions so we can take screenshots, etc. Starting an X session takes 4 seconds. I am fixing this on my side and then it should work. I'd like to move this to Mozilla's git repo at some point so I don't have to maintain it. Hallvord and I actually like the "Compatipede" name a lot.
- karl: It's your baby, so choose the name. I was a little worried in the French community because "pede" is a pejoritive term in French.
- hallvord: How do you say centipede in French?
- karl: I forgot. Choose the name though, it's not important. No objections from me.
- seif: Hallvord did something very cool allowing us to write plugins in JS.
- hallvord: Karl had some requests for specific tests you wanted to run. If you just look at the spec you can see how to write the plugin. spec link: https://github.com/seiflotfy/mozcompat/blob/master/plugins/spec.txt
- karl: Can the plugin be in another language?
- seif: It should be possible in Python, I just need some time.
- hallvord: At the moment we can do it in JS. We can figure something out. But I think the best way for the question Karl was asking is in JS, so give that a try.
Topic: PASS/FAIL webtesting tool (seif/hallvord)
- seif: If we could have specs by the rest of the team on how does a site pass or fail in terms of compat, that would be helpful for us.
- karl: Just a thought, I wonder if we'd be able to identify compatibility as an abstract idea, versus looking at issues in isolation.
- hallvord: This is a hard question and it's going to take quite some time to figure out. There will be false positives, etc. I think we should take our team and figure out where the issues are. While doing that we might find patterns that will be useful, e.g., if we get a video element in Firefox and a video element in Safari that might indicate that we're considered a "fancy browser" -- even if there are redirects or what not. The way we're doing it now, we're going to have a db to save stats, i.e., difference of markup, redirects, etc. There will be an overall PASS/FAIL flag, but we'll also have the other data to query.
- seif: We're also storing results from plugins as well.
- hallvord: We can also listen to the Error Console, that might be interesting to store and analyze. Right now I don't want to pay too much attention to PASS or FAIL.
Topic: Next presentation on WeeklyUpdate meeting (lmandel)
Who wants to take the lead? Which topic? Date: 2013-12-09
- karl: Is there a volunteer to introduce a topic?
- lawrence: Seif, will you be in San Francisco?
- seif: I'll be in SF from Tuesday to Saturday.
- lawrence: Have you ever attended the project the meeting? Would you be interested in presenting on your work? The idea is to talk about our project every few weeks to keep people informed on our work. The tool that you and Hallvord are working on seems like a great topic.
- seif: Sounds good.
- lawrence: If you want to do it this next one, or defer until the next.
- seif: Can I answer that one tomorrow?
- karl: And no pressure, you can decline without any issue.
Topic: RSS/ATOM feed for planet.webcompat.com? (lmandel)
Does one exist?
- mike: Yes, http://planet.webcompat.com/atom.xml
- lawrence: I'll try that again, it wasn't working before.
Topic: Broken Voices of the Web
Check the Planet Web Compatibility for the community news. Here a few posts lately published.
- karl: Now that we have planet.webcompat, is it worth keeping this section in the minutes?
- mike: I think it's worthwhile if it's not too much work for you.
- karl: OK, I will keep doing it, it's not a problem.
- 2013-11-20 - How To Set Up a Web Compatibility Activity
- 2013-11-21 - Why the address bar emphasizes some parts of the text 1
- 2013-11-21 - doubleclick ad server hijacks video.ft.com
- 2013-11-22 - The Three Kingdoms Of CNet
- 2013-11-25 - Introducing webcompat.com
- 2013-11-27 - I like it hardcoded, but not in my code (SFW)
- 2013-11-28 - How Twitter broke its MediaStrip
- 2013-11-29 - Thanks Giving Design For Planet Web Compatibility
- 2013-11-29 - The mysteriously disappearing YouTube search string 2
Topic: Things which have been discussed
These are a list of topics, we need to explore further and take action items. It usually needs an owner and a set of actions. Putting them here for not forgetting about them. (this could become the start of a newsletter about the project by month)
- Planet Web Compat has been launched and "designed"
- UA detection support Statement (draft).
- Web compat communication strategy
Topic: Web Compatibility Progress
FIXED (no DUPLICATE)
- newsit.gr doesn't render properly on Firefox OS and Firefox for Android 2013-11-22 WORKSFORME
- Walmart serves Firefox mobile browsers an outdated mobile site, not the optimized site seen on webkit (and the optimised site uses -webkit- styling and needs adapting) 2013-11-27 INVALID
- orbitz.com doesn't recognize B2G UA as mobile 2013-11-21 FIXED
- cheaptickets.com doesn't recognize B2G UA as mobile 2013-11-21 FIXED
- soul-reaper.com does not load on Firefox Mobile 2013-11-26 WONTFIX
- m.photobucket.com lists too few images in search results 2013-11-25 WORKSFORME
- hootsuite.com doesn't recognize B2G UA as mobile 2013-11-26 INVALID
- wap.ratp.fr doesn't recognize B2G UA as mobile 2013-11-20 FIXED
- ajw.asahi.com doesn't send mobile content to firefox os 2013-11-19 FIXED
- elpais.com sends desktop site to FirefoxOS 2013-11-19 INVALID
- Menu items do not work at http://theamazingspiderman.com/ mobile site 2013-11-26 WONTFIX
- Economist not serving mobile optimized site to Firefox for Android 2013-11-26 FIXED
- Flash Video (VideoJS Player) doesn't play on vine.co 2013-11-19 FIXED
- zeit.de defaults to desktop site on FirefoxOS 2013-11-29 FIXED
- gavros.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-11-18 WORKSFORME
- euro2day.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-11-20 WORKSFORME
- thehindu.com isn't redirecting to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-11-19 WORKSFORME
- Google Analytics doesn't track FxOS devices correctly 2013-11-19 INVALID
- in2life.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-11-22 WORKSFORME
- myshoe.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-11-18 WORKSFORME
- http://www.personare.com.br layout breaks on Firefox OS and Firefox for Android 2013-11-19 INVALID
- axiaplus.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-11-18 WORKSFORME
- weather.com weather map says its incompatible despite loading correctly 2013-11-29 FIXED
- lufthansa.de sends desktop site to B2G 2013-11-19 WORKSFORME
- skinnyvscurvy.com doesn't display correctly in Gaia browser 2013-11-28 FIXED
- mtv.com: No video in Firefox OS or Firefox on Android 2013-11-19
- hulu.com: Firefox OS gets desktop version 2013-11-19
- mylifetime.com doesn't create video player on Firefox OS 2013-11-19
- Investigate compatibility issues with iScroll library 2013-11-20
- Jplayer audio not detecting native supported media 2013-11-20
- cinemax.com doesn't play video (uses Brightcove, shows flash error) 2013-11-21
- NatGeo Kennedy promo site blocks Firefox for Android for not having Flash 2013-11-22
- redbus.in isn't redirecting to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-11-22
- labanquepostale.mobi sends invalid mobile content to FirefoxOS 2013-11-25
- Lectio website does not work in Firefox for Android phone 2013-11-25
- wired.com serves desktop content to Firefox OS, Firefox Android, Opera Mobile 2013-11-26
- CBC player using Flash on Fx for Android 2013-11-26
- tokyoartbeat.com sends desktop content to Firefox OS 2013-11-28
- mail.yahoo.com is sending desktop content to Firefox OS 2013-11-28
- Wired continuously redirects 2013-11-28
- login.yahoo.com is sending desktop content to Firefox OS 2013-11-28
- tiff.net delivers desktop content to firefox OS 2013-11-29
- weather.com sends desktop content to Firefox OS 2013-11-29
- bhphotovideo.com breaks more or less completely in Fennec 2013-11-29
(move the DONE action items below and add the string DONE and possibly link to the record)
- TODO-20130715-01: kdubost have a panorama of tools used by Web developers for testing. Write a post about it.
- TODO-20130805-02: hallvord to test in bulk if Web sites are still working with a device information into the UA string Firefox OS. (Bug 901039)
- TODO-20130819-01 kdubost to create a first workflow for Web Badges for the community with Carla Cassili
- TODO-20130826-01: kdubost to create an intro guide to be ready to participate to Web Compatibility effort.
- TODO-20130826-02: kdubost to create 101 on Web compatibility issues so Mozilla employes have handy materials to discuss with partners.
- TODO-20131111-01: kdubost to analyze and categorize the survey on UA detection.
- TODO-20131118-01: kdubost to write a series of posts on how to set-up a Web compatibility activity in your own organization, company.
- TODO-20131118-02: kdubost to finish design for webcompat.com planet. DONE