Crash Reporting Status 2021
Every month, the coordinator will send out an email asking for status updates from teams/projects working on crash reporting things. The prompts:
- What's your team/project?
- What did you accomplish? (Descriptions, bug numbers, etc)
- What are you working on now or think you'll have done this month? (Descriptions, bug numbers, etc)
- What do you need help with?
- What are you concerned about?
- What else do you think is helpful for everyone to know?
Keep in mind this is a public list, so if you're working on confidential/NDA/security-sensitive things, this status update isn't the place for that.
Updates will get compiled into a newsletter and sent to lists.
Crash Reporting Headlines (April 7th, 2021)
- Started Crash Reporting Working Group
- We started a Crash Reporting Working Group to coordinate crash reporting, ingestion, and analysis work. If you're interested in participating or lurking, we've got a mailing list (crash-reporting-wg) and a Matrix channel (#crashreporting)
- Socorro: Ended collection of Email address data.
- Firefox 89+ no longer sends Email address data in crash reports.
- Email data is dropped at collection for all crash reports.
- Socorro: Ended collection of Fennec crash reports.
- Tecken: We need help testing new symbolication API microservice.
- Crash Stats: Improved preview in Slack/Matrix for crash report view urls and signature report view urls.
- If there's more I can do with this to make these url previews more helpful in conversations, let me know.
- Socorro: End collection of Email data in crash reports.
- I changed the collector to delete Email data for all incoming crash reports. I fixed the Firefox main and content crash reporter client code. I still have some changes to make in the webapp, but I'm waiting until May 2021 to do that.
- Many thanks to Emily, Nneka, Gabriele, Mike, and Chris for their help with this!
- Socorro: End collection of crash reports for Fennec
- When working on ending collection of Email data, it came up that we don't need Fennec crash reports anymore. Thus Socorro now rejects all incoming crash reports for Fennec.
- Many thanks to Emily, Stefan, Vesta, and Agi!
- Crash Stats: Fixed the webapp to automatically update the PCI device db once a week.
- Crash stats: Redid "Raw data and minidumps" tab in crash report view.
- The Crash Stats ui is confusing and clunky and I've been trying to fix bits of it over time. In this pass, I improved the tab that holds links to raw and processed crash data, minidumps, and the output of minidump-stackwalk. It should be clearer now as to what's protected data and what isn't. The links are at the top of the tab where they're easier to access. The minidump-stackwalk output is much easier to manipulate and use.
- Tecken: New symbolication API microservices
- The symbolication API that Tecken has is hard to improve and there are a bunch of things we want to do with it. Because of that, I embarked on splitting it out into a separate microservice and rewriting it from the ground up using the Symbolic library. That's taken a while for a variety of reasons, but we've now got a working symbolication API in our staging environment that I think is usable.
- API url: https://symbolication.stage.mozaws.net/symbolicate/v5
- I need to write docs for it, but it uses the same payload as the existing symbolication API as documented here: https://tecken.readthedocs.io/en/latest/symbolication.html#symbolication-symbolicate-v5
- If you do any symbolication work, I'd love to know how it works for you and whether you encounter any issues.
- Crash reporter client: integrating Windows Error Reporting into Firefox
- Tecken: Finishing up the new symbolication API microservice: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1636210
- Socorro: Better signature generation for Java crash reports: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1541120