Mozilla Education 2009 Internship
The Mozilla Foundation is now accepting applications for a student internship for the Mozilla Education program.
Applications are now closed, and we have selected a candidate for the position.
The primary activity for this internship will be assisting in creating and maintaining the Mozilla Education site. Detailed responsibilities include
- Creating a plan for the Mozilla Education site, including criteria for what material should be included and how it should be presented.
- Creating an inventory of existing Mozilla-related educational material (e.g., at the Mozilla Developer Center or elsewhere) that could be referenced by or repurposed for the Mozilla Education site.
- Identifying third-party materials (e.g., from OER sites or other sites focusing on participatory learning in an open source context) that would be of interest in a Mozilla context.
- Creating content for the Mozilla Education site, including new material, repurposed material, and links to material on other sites.
- Working with Mozilla localization teams to create localized versions of the Mozilla Education site.
- Researching and implementing options for transforming existing Mozilla materials into formats suitable for custom textbooks and other printable instructional materials.
- Defining a plan for ongoing maintenance and enhancement of the Mozilla Education site's collections.
- Strong passion and knowledge of Mozilla and Firefox a must
- Enthusiasm for the web
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- A willingness to learn and a can-do attitude
- Good analytical skills
- Solid understanding and comfort level with the Web and Web technology preferred
- Experience with teaching (in a formal or informal setting) preferred
- Able to work effectively in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- Currently working towards a bachelors or graduate degree
- The total duration of the internship is three (3) months; the start date is flexible but we expect it to be in May or June. Note that we are also willing to consider alternative arrangements, including an earlier start date or a part-time schedule that spreads the work over more than three months.
- The location for the internship is either the Mozilla office in Toronto Canada or Mozilla headquarters in Mountain View CA. We are also willing to consider someone working remotely.
- This is a paid internship, with rate dependent on experience and qualifications; interns working out of the Toronto and Mountain View offices will also receive a housing allowance.
Interested candidates should contact Frank Hecker at hecker (at) mozillafoundation (dot) org and supply the following information:
- Your degrees (if any) and current course of study (e.g., "undergraduate major in computer science, currently studying for masters in education").
- Your academic transcript or CV
- Your preferred work location (Toronto, Mountain View, or remote)
- Your preferred start date
- URLs for work that you have completed or are currently engaged in, including academic papers, open source projects, relevant blogs, etc.