- To refresh on the list of Features and their priority, click here.
- To refresh on the plan of record per Toronto's offsite, click here.
- To see baseline vs. current reality, click here: here
- 1 ADU update
- 2 Schedule
- 3 Beta Readiness
- 4 Other Top Issues and Their Status
- 5 MTD Update
- Aurora - 1,076, +12% from last week
- Nightly - 1,172 +2.5% from last week
- Beta - 25,940 +2.5% from last week
To see who is attending the showcase
- Dec 2011: Feature Complete
- Jan 16 2012: String Freeze ==> Jan 30th (lock-step with cutover)
- Jan 16 2012: First Run Walk-Through ==> needs to be reset; pending profile migration which is getting closer
- Jan 30 2012: Beta Cutover & Beta Declare
- Feb 27 2012: Public Announcement at Mobile World Congress
- March 30 2012: Final Release
- Status: Waiting for the fix for bug 719560
- Requires: QA testing on tablets/phones once posted
- Fallback options: Push XUL to all for the time being, only push to tablets, hold off on pushing altogether
- Profile migration
- Status: Waiting on the fix for bug 713283
- Requires: QA test plan and verification (kbrosnan: test cases are complete & ready to go)
- Single-locale APKs
- May not be ready and tested in time for 1/31 - are multi-locale APKs our fallback?
- Requires: QA test plan and verification in conjunction with split-APK work
- Remaining multi-locale bug: bug 713464
- Required for String Freeze for Fx11 (Jan 30th): query
- Johnath's blog post on trains: will be pushed tomorrow
- Press release for beta in progress
(P0) Stability and Performance
- http://bit.ly/tr4pBc - currently we have 10 top crashes
- 12.0a1 - stats for yesterday - 526 ADU with 31.34 crashes/100 ADU
- top crash #1 - bug 718765 is fixed but still showing up in high volume with people running builds before Jan 19th.
- top crash #2 - bug 719872 is in progress and a fix should be coming soon.
- These 2 crashes account for just over 50% of the crashes.
- We have pulled out java signatures and logged bugs in an attempt to make the top crash list more actionable. Fixes for these should help clean up many items on the top crash list.
- bug 707683
- bug 720515
- bug 720613
- bug 711988
- Engaged the QA offshore team to help reproduce some of the other top items we are having trouble making progress on.
- User feedback
- Looking at a survey for the MTD to get feedback on user perception of crashiness.
- Startup report (Nightly) - https://crash-analysis.mozilla.com/rkaiser/fennecandroid.nightly.startupsummary.html
- Startup report (Aurora) - https://crash-analysis.mozilla.com/rkaiser/fennecandroid.aurora.startupsummary.html
- Startup = crashes where the uptime is < 1 min
- Technically we could go back in time and look at the crash rate on XUL version vs Native
- Many issues doing this
- Best strategy is still tracking and attacking the top crash list and fixing regressions quickly.
Performance and Responsiveness
Goals Related to Competitive Browsers
- Raw Start: To be within 200MS of the Stock Browser for
- Warm Start with Page Load: We need to be within an acceptable range with Stock and faster than Opera
- Scrolling Panning, Zooming, and Frame Rate should meet or exceed customer expectations when compared to other mobile browsers
- XUL Beta vs. Java: What will users see?
Compared to XUL: Where are we Better, Where are we worse?
- Better: We use less memory, we now have async panning & zooming, faster frame rate, sync now runs in the background,
- Worse: Checkerboarding, Closing tabs, Loading multiple pages at the same time, possibly tab restore
- Worse: What are we doing about it and when?
Checkerboarding and responsiveness changes in flight, targeted to land prior to beta: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Notes/25-Jan-2012
Other Top Issues and Their Status
- What we need to uplift to aurora:
- Sync stability is more about data loss
- Sync Team would prefer to support bookmarks and history without data loss than overextend and support Passwords
- wesj is a hero, but...
- Q1: Protecting data for the features we have and UI [correct crypto, stability]
- Really trying for Password Sync for March
- Performance: has been great: tracy/tchung has numbers
- Not really crashing
- Q2: Focus on Parity: Tabs, Add-Ons, Forms, ad UI for tablets
UX & UI
Things it would be great to have done for beta:
- Experience of startup / page load
- Cut down the amount of checkerboarding - bug 716581
- Handful of startup weirdness bugs: tracked in bug 721008
- Fix the p1/p2 font inflation bugs -- we want this to be as right as possible for beta; bug 706193, bug 706198
- Get frecency / top sites as right as we can: bug 704977
- Get the in-browser Sync UI pieces in, so people can find and set up sync
- bug 708414, bug 716906 - looks like they're in!
- Get the tab menu not covering the whole screen -- may seem minor, but I want people to get the right idea of how it works as of beta - bug 712526
- Some thumbnail tweaks around differences in tab menu / start page, scaling where we shouldn't be (bug 721032)
- UI responsiveness
- tab menu - opening a tab, switching tabs, deleting tabs
- aweseomescreen - slow top sites list coming in
- settings screen - slow for options to becoming enabled
- John Jensen is POC: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=708406
- Evangelism Bugs
- Screenshot comparisons of top-30-Alexa against Native Fennec/Android AOSP Browser/Opera (QA contact: AaronMT)
MTD feedback in order of frequency:
- "Feeling zippier"
- Sync <--- people still want sync
- Remaining checkerboarding
- Unzooming during page load
- Frame rate when scrolling
- Top sites still don't work
- Flash on ICS