Channel Meeting Details
- Tuesdays and Thursdays at 10am Pacific Time
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- Meeting archive: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Category:Channel_Meetings
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99951 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99951 (US)
- Vidyo Room: Release Coordination
- Vidyo Guest URL
These notes are read by people who weren't able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.
- 1 Attendance
- 2 Special Topics
- 3 Schedule Update
- 4 Add-ons
- 5 Stability
- 6 Performance (Thu)
- 7 QE
- 8 RelEng
- 9 User Advocacy
- 10 Roundtable
Attendees: lmandel, bhearsum, lizzard, sylvestre jorge, kairo, ashughes, juanb, kbrosnan, cww, rrayborn Regrets:
Aurora/Beta Feature Review (Thursday prior to GA Release)
Post-Mortem (Tues 2wks after GA Release)
Sign Off (Thurs prior to GA Release)
- 33.1 shipped! (applause)
- bug 1021265 - DisplayLink (dlumd32.dll) => incorrect patch landed in 33.1
- bug 1096492 - crash in nsTArray_Impl<mozilla::dom::workers::WorkerFeature*, ... >, often at 0x5a5a5caa address => no patch yet
- 34 beta8 scheduled to ship today
- ETA on QE desktop and mobile sign-offs
- (desktop) will take me another few minutes for desktop - and signoff maybe another hour - liz
- (mobile) not going to ship today, see stability section for details
- ETA on QE desktop and mobile sign-offs
- Some add-on compat problems in 33.1: https://blog.mozilla.org/addons/2014/11/11/firefox-33-1-compatibility/
- total crash rate is high but better than over the weekend
- bug 1089364 (gfx) is ~35% of browser crashes, bug 1088148 (a11y+e10s) ~25% (builds of last 3 days)
Aurora / Dev Edition
- bug 1078674 (startup, randomly-named library on stack) is now #1 (30%) in builds from the last 3 days.
- bug 1091903 (mozilla::gfx::SourceSurfaceD2D1::SourceSurfaceD2D1) is #2 with 8%
- bug 1089454 (DrawingContext::FillRectangle) has 3%
- bug 1097138 (appleffdav.dll) has 7%
- Crash rates remain good.
- bug 1076917 (startup, npTNT2.dll) is a concern but happens on all channels.
- bug 1096492 is now #2 with >2.5% of 33.1 crashes, almost all on Google Maps.
- DisplayLink startup crash bug 1021265 is not fixed and again in the top 20, looks like we had a bug in the patch.
- FYI, query with up-to-the-minute data (if not cached) is here: https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/search/?product=Firefox&version=33.1&process_type=%21plugin&build_id=20141106120505&build_id=20141030112145&_facets=signature&_columns=date&_columns=signature&_columns=product&_columns=version&_columns=build_id&_columns=platform
- Advise not to ship 34.0b8 in it current state as bug 1091599 is expected to go through the roof. We probably should not ship a new feature in the second-to-last beta at all.
- window.crypto.signText replacement (affects banks, govts. in EU) landed in 34.0b8 - bug 1083118
- lmandel to ask whether privacy tour should be first run on 34
- Looking to send some release channel update traffic to Balrog soon
- consensus was to test on Wed this week
Bumps with 33.1:
- Still have graphics issues (less than 33.0.2 and below)
- Forget is confusing (looks like refresh, you lose all your tabs, even if you choose 5 minutes)
- Forget button breaks themes: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1030198
- People are confused by 33 update notification (some users are saying they get the notice but can't update: "Latest update says "restart to update", but does nothing when I click on it."
- Lots of complaints about update frequency (this was a prompted update, right after users had just updated)
- Addon issues
Bumps with Dev Edition:
- Bookmarks/profile loss (can recover them but it happens without much warning or explanation) UA is working on a notification to explain the recovery process
- (lmandel) Want to put together a list of common release issues for which we have little awareness so that we can discuss ways to improve our understanding of releases in Portland - please add to this list
- gfx card/driver (impacted 33)
- DOM/JS/Layout Web compat changes (Verizon Webmail)
- Add-on compatibility (33.1 version # issue)
- Plug-ins (issues with new releases, stability)
- Malware or well intentioned but poorly implemented add-ons and plug-ins
- Security changes impact on release population
- l10n use, status, impact
- networking (http/2)
- (lmandel) Work week sessions - (Time TBD)
- Measure to identify issues earlier (see above list)
- Issue mitigation strategies
- (kairo) FYI, Aurora had significantly larger ADI yesterday than last week - and that's counting the UTC day that ended at ~5pm Pacific, we'll see if today will be even higher and if higher levels persist.
- Nightly ADI data has gone down very significantly recently, possibly due to high frequency of stability issues, we should look into that.