From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays - 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC
  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
These notes are read by people who weren't able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

Upcoming Releases


  • schedule and progress on upcoming releases
  • review highlights and notices
  • respond to questions and concerns

Schedule & Progress

Firefox 3.6.4

  • Went live with build #6 to the entire beta audience on Friday, May 28
  • 198,607 ADU for Windows as of 2010-06-01
  • Was not be released as final yesterday (June 1)
  • 2 issues that are being watched (bug 563361 and bug 569104). The CNet one is likely a blocker
  • plugins bugday stats

Firefox 3.5.10

  • Possibly shipped sooner than 3.6.4 if bug 563361 and bug 569104 are blockers and require respins (still thinking about this)

Firefox 3.6.5

  • Approvals have been put on hold as we want to keep 3.6.5 small and directed
    • Security bugs will still be approved
    • If you have a bug that needs to get in, email Christian (

Mozilla 1.9.3 Developer Preview 5

  • hopefully this week
  • short list of alpha5 blockers
  • notable features:
    • HTML5 Parser
    • New Add-Ons Manager
    • HTML5 <video> element using WebM format

Fennec 1.1 RC

  • Looking to spin RC builds today

Jetpack SDK 0.4

Firefox Sync 1.3

Highlights / Notices

Please add notes for issues you'd like to bring to everyone's attention!

  • bug 524223 has finally landed for 3.6.5/3.5.11 - needs dev docs and outreach (see also bug 536606) (zwol)
    • back-ported version is slightly different than trunk version
    • thus the need for web-evang!
  • Fennec 2.0 is looking to create an alpha off of mozilla-central, trying to figure out when and whether or not they do this off trunk or mozilla-1.9.3
    • will lock down a plan when we're closer to the time
    • ideally would work off mozilla-1.9.3 if timing works out

Questions and Concerns

Please add any questions or concerns you would like discussed at today's meeting.

  • Question for people with Firefox connecting to sites slowly: Is Firefox "Allowed" in Windows Firewall? (cww)
    • not sure why Firefox is slow but not blocked
    • something to investigate if we hear people saying that Firefox is really slow
  • what is the cost of shipping Firefox 3.6.4 in terms of delaying shipment of other security and stability bugs? (abillings)
    • can we think about landing some of the newer security bugs in additional builds, or would that cause more problems than it is worth?
    • less to do with security backlog, and more to do with approval backlog
    • think our current strategy is still virtuous, OOPP is a significant win
  • what is the cost of shipping Firefox 3.5.10 before Firefox 3.6.4? (beltzner)
    • potential risk with people reverse engineering an exploit
    • that risk already exists
    • would mean not opening up some CVEs
    • consensus seems to be "yes, we should do it."
  • have we swept through all the plugin/ipc bugs to know size and scope of remaining OOPP risks? (beltzner)
    • bsmedberg says that this happened on the last bug day
    • action item: clegnitto says that he'll take another pass through before another "go to build"
  • Turning off FF3.0.x machines

Press & Public Reactions

Future Releases: Planning & Co-ordination


  • action items from last week:
    • beltzner to keep digging into 64-bit issues (OSX as x86_64 only? etc)
    • axel to start getting on l10n-merge
  • review highlights and notices
  • respond to questions and concerns

Action Items

Highlights / Notices

Please add notes for issues you'd like to bring to everyone's attention!

  • With each release for the Firefox 4 Beta, we will be asking for feedback on different features, bugs, crash causes, messaging, etc. using various different quantitative and qualitative feedback channels. We need your help in identifying what questions to ask the community and how to prioritize them.
    • For feedback requests for FF4 Beta, please fill out this form
  • The Jetpack team is in the process of putting together a list of the platform dependencies we've recently identified. A draft of the list is available. If you are a platform/Firefox driver or engineer, Myk or others on the Jetpack team may contact you about items on the list in the near future.
  • Axel did a local dashboard preparing for the 1.9.3 branch, comparing missing strings of l10n-mozilla-1.9.2 and l10n-central against mozilla-central. It looks like we should branch 32 locales from central, and 47 from 1.9.2. We suggest to not branch locales that are not building (15). en-ZA, hy-AM, ms, ne-NP, nr, nso, rw, ss, st, tn, ts, ve, x-testing, xh, zu are those. Probably branch x-testing, I expect to build hy-AM and nso soon, leaving 13 inactive repos behind.

Questions and Concerns

Please add any questions or concerns you would like discussed at today's meeting.

  • do we have a branch plan for mozilla-1.9.3? (beltzner)
    • RelEng aiming for mozilla-1.9.3 branch to be online by end of next week (Friday 11th June)
    • reminder that this will mean branch landings of trunk code!
  • once we have the mozilla-1.9.3 branch do we want to use it immediately, or wait until some point during the beta cycle?
    • bsmedberg thinks it will help us focus
    • stuart is worried about the additional overhead
    • beltzner wanted to avoid adding restrictions to mozilla-central
    • dveditz doesn't think we should branch until we have to do so
    • might want to wait until the end of the month
    • axel concerned that not having a 1.9.3 branch means he can't do localization code the way he'd like to
    • action item: stuart to gather branch stakeholders and come up with a proposal