From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox/Gecko Delivery Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays - 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC
  • Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
  • Toronto Offices: Fin du Monde Conference Room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
  • #planning for backchannel
  • (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
These notes are read by people who weren't able to attend the meeting. Please make sure to include links and context so they can be understood.

Upcoming Releases


  • schedule and progress on upcoming releases
  • review highlights and notices
  • respond to questions and concerns

Action Items

  • christian to work with chofmann and socorro team to investigate crash rate spike
  • erica and mayumi to finalize comms plan with beltzner
  • QA to test with new Flash and new Silverlight

Schedule & Progress

Firefox 3.5.10 / Firefox 3.6.4

  • Doing an update that only updates channel prefs, moving 3.6.4 users on the release channel over to the beta channel. Going out now
  • We think OOPP is ready - anyone disagree?
    • New issues have slowed
    • 522,309 build #6 users on Windows, still climbing. This is very good.
    • QA worked through this list of video and game sites to make sure we have testing coverage on popular sites that use plugins. The list was crowdsourced after all call to create it on Twitter by beltzner
  • Decided to keep 3.5.10 tied to 3.6.4 to make Linux vendor's lives easier
    • Argument for decoupling decision was made based on potential issues, whereas the negative effects on Linux vendors are known and quantifiable
  • Shipping schedule needs to be talked about

Firefox 3.5.11 / Firefox 3.6.6

  • was used by Fennec, so next platform version is We will keep the version #'s coherent by naming it Firefox 3.6.6
  • I will be moving the blocking flags and status flags as appropriate
  • If you have approvals for they are now for
  • If we need a chemspill for 3.6.4, this will be off the 3.6.4 relbranch
  • If no chemspill, planning early-to mid July, making sure to have this out before BlackHat in late July
  • WebM discussion will likely happen shortly

Mozilla 1.9.3 Developer Preview 5

  • trunk is now feature complete
  • just need to get QA signoff and prepare release notes
  • QA wants to talk about requirements for ship

Fennec 1.1 RC

Jetpack SDK 0.5

  • freezes next Tuesday, June 15, 11:59pm PT
  • tentative RC1 next Wednesday, June 16
  • tentative final Wednesday, June 23
  • on track with additional APIs (Tabs, Request, Lifecycle, Localization, Selection), docs canonicalization, extension auto-detection, SDK search path fixes
  • at risk to miss E10S compatibility, privilege reduction, docs restructuring, Panel & Page Mods APIs

Firefox Sync 1.4

  • code and string freeze targeted June 11
  • target release date June 22
  • main focus on preparing to land on trunk
  • landing plan in progress, mconnor in town this week.

Highlights / Notices

Please add notes for issues you'd like to bring to everyone's attention!

  • Build
    • Mozilla 1.9.3 Developer Preview 5 will have Linux64 and OSX 10.6 64-bit builds for the first time as part of a release.
    • 3.6.4build6 users will be updated to beta channel bug 570797
    • Assuming FF3.5.10 ships Tuesday, RelEng will be powering off FF3.0.x machines before this meeting next week. Details in bug 554226

Questions and Concerns

Please add any questions or concerns you would like discussed at today's meeting.

  • Should bug 570774 block the Alpha 5 release?
    • don't think so, not even sure that it should block a beta - secondary UI on a single platform
    • does look like there's a fix for this in bug 565392
  • QA Testing Requirements for Alpha 5
    • Good number of changes have landed since Alpha 4. Would like to spend some more time with the builds in light of this fact.
    • Getting builds tomorrow and and having 1/2 day to test might not be realistic.
    • beltzner thinks that there might be some difference of opinion about required quality bar for developer previews
    • beltzner and mevans to follow up offline and figure something out

Press & Public Reactions

Future Releases: Planning & Co-ordination


  • action items from last week:
  • review highlights and notices
  • respond to questions and concerns

Action Items

  • clegnitto to take another pass through OOPP bugs and report back
  • stuart to organize required people to make call on when we branch for 1.9.3

Highlights / Notices

  • XPCOM registration is changing significantly and in a breaking way, bug 568691. This may mean that we are going to bump the gecko version to 2 for this release. bsmedberg will post more details to md.planning... today? All extensions that use XPCOM components (which is many of them) will need to be updated.

Questions and Concerns

Please add any questions or concerns you would like discussed at today's meeting.

  • do we have OOPPsie reports for OSX yet? (marcia)
    • true, not difficult to do, but to be done by same people on retained layers critical path
    • need to decide if we can ship first beta without it
  • l10n for Firefox 4 Beta 1?