Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PDT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
- Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
- Vidyo Guest URL
- 1 Actions from Last Week
- 2 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- 2.1 Basecamp
- 2.2 Firefox Desktop
- 2.3 Firefox Mobile
- 2.4 Services
- 2.5 Add-on SDK
- 2.6 Identity
- 2.7 Apps
- 3 Feedback Summary
- 4 User Experience (Design and Research)
- 5 Market Insights
- 6 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- 7 Questions, Comments, FYI
- 8 Actions this week
Actions from Last Week
- Asa/Sheila to run the meeting 2 weeks hence
- Cheng to summarize feedback on PDF.js.
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- SUMO team will be at MozCamp doing a b2g emulator install-fest (https://wiki.mozilla.org/MozCampEU2012/FirefoxOS_support) in preparation for documenting and supporting Firefox OS users.
- Get the emulator set up on your desktop: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/how-to-set-up-firefox-os-emulator
- Talk about user support on the SUMO discussion forums for Firefox OS: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/firefox-os-forums
Release (15, 10esr)
- We're spinning up a 15.0.1 to address bug 787743 – Private Browsing mode not working in Firefox 15.0
- 16.0b2 will be released before the end of the week
- Final copy work and support documentation around the 10.5 EOL is completing now, in preparation for an add-on hotfix
- We're spinning up a 15.0.1 to address stability https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=769894%2C700583%2C
- We're also investigating keyboard issues reported on the Play Store
- 16.0b2 with ARMv6 support is being released as we speak
- new updater has landed
Apps In the Cloud Server
Release (1.9 -> Firefox 15, 16)
Stabilization (1.10 -> Firefox 16, 17)
Development (1.11 -> Firefox 17, 18)
- loader: ✓
No audible update today, however for an overview of last week's SDK work week please see this post on my blog. Some highlights:
- great progress on navigation toolbar changes
- many P1 issues fixed, reviewed & closed, including the landing of direct proxies which we hope will simplify and speed up SDK code related to content scripts
- close to landing key tabs module support for Native Fennec, which has been a major roadblock for moving forward.
- Still looking for Flash 10.3 guidance.
- Stability issues - Lots of reports of exit crashing (Possibly Flash 11.4 related). Lots of general crashiness and perf issues  could be related to Catalyst update. Startup crashing is up as well 
- Catalyst 12.8 update is causing crashing when HW acceleration is enabled. Seems to be crossfire related. 
- Babylon update is causing issues.
- Norton issues on Mac are still hurting us.
First week of Google Play Reviews are very positive (Review average is much higher, roughly .2+ stars)
- Most Requested mobile Threads on SUMO (https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions?sort=requested&tagged=mobile)
- All Mobile Questions https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions?tagged=mobile
User Experience (Design and Research)
No voice update this week, but see below for an overview of all things Design and Research!
- Blake, Mary, Bill, Stephen and Patryk will be there!
- Stephen and Patryk giving a talk on App Design Guidelines for Firefox OS
- Mary and Bill are leading an ideation session, titled "Firefox: What's next?"
- Blake, Mary, Bill, Stephen and Patryk will be there!
- Usability Testing on Australis Customization Prototype and synthesis results (zhenshuo)
- [metro] (yuan)
- UX Priorities for Metro Firefox Preview: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/metro-ux-priorities
- [project SPF (security and privacy)] (larissa)
- Developing some general cog-sci based user insights for security UX design
- [android] (ibarlow)
- Google Cloud Messaging
- Private Browsing / Guest Mode
- Safe Browsing
- Improved Sync Setup Flow / First Run UX
- UI responsiveness tweaks https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/BostonBrainstorm/UIPerf
- Mocking up ARMV6 (small screen) design tweaks
- [Firefox on B2G/Gaia] (larissa and patryk)
- New Visual Design work
- Minor updates to Mixed Content UI spec, coming soon to Firefox: http://people.mozilla.com/~lco/ProjectSPF/Mixed%20Content%20Spec%20v1.pdf
- Project Hydra, an in-depth ethnography of how people experience and manage their lives online (versus the real world) is complete. Mary Trombley & Lindsay Kenzig led a 2-day workshop to ideate on findings. A final report will be available in the next few weeks. We expect multiple teams will find it useful.
- Prototye exploration: looking at ways of making dragging URLs into email more interesting / useful by adding text and image snippets (bwinton)
Desktop / Platform
- Google released an updated version of the WebP image library, saying that it now creates files that are up to 26% smaller and could be a replacement for PNG. Beta versions of Chrome support it.
- Google has instrumented their version of telemetry to record and report on the use of -webkit- CSS prefixes across the web.
- Wall Street analysts have estimated the impact of Google Chrome as a driver of increased search and advertising revenue.
- The Open WebOS team released their first beta, comprising 450,000 lines of code. Here's a short video showing it in use on an Ubuntu build machine
- Opera's development builds now offer touch support for Windows 8
- Twitter joined the Linux Foundation
Summary below, full update here and in your inbox.
- New hardware launches expected: Apple, Amazon, Windows 8
- China to become the largest smartphone market by shipments in 2012
- The Dolphin browser rumoured to be receiving second round of funding
- Baidu launched an Android browser
- Facebook, Google and Youtube the most popular mobile websites across Asia Pacific
- Android top operating system in SE Asia except for Indonesia, Thailand and the Philippines
Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- Focus is on projects and features that will increase ADIs: CDN (done), Stub Installer (green light), Social API (green light - Fx17), Tiger Team (first 4 projects kicking off) and other download projects (in design)
Questions, Comments, FYI
Actions this week
- Sheila to run next week's meeting
- Matt/Cheng to collate PDF.js feedback
- Gavin to update on the state of 3rd party add on drops