Firefox3/StatusMeetings/2007-08-28

From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« previous week | index | next week »

Firefox 3 Meeting

Meeting Details

  • Tuesdays - Firefox 3 - 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC
  • Mozilla Building S - <script> conference room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x91 Conf# 217 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 217 (US)
  • irc.mozilla.org #granparadiso for backchannel

PRD Status Update

  • Perma Links: Current PRD & Detailed Feature List & Firefox Next Requirements.
  • Outstanding Change Requests to review.
  • Retention Requirements - please add them to the PRD as applicable.
  • Disable insecure extension updates by default bug 378216 and Extension updates should link to further information bug 297903 should be added to the PRD.
  • Support reading in a localizable string with a partner name (INST-005a) - Needs more detail as to where this string will be used in the ui.

Open Action Items

  • mkaply: please write a note that documents how to take advantage microformat
  • Add visual indication to browser UI when Add-on updates are available (ADD-003a) needs bug 347585 implemented
    • underway: beltzner and mconnor currently arguing about whether or not it's necessary
  • Decision about private browsing mode
  • Addons Manager redesign (a la Personas)

Schedule

Work in progress

  • Web-based protocol handling (PH team)
    • patch for new Applications prefpane (bug 377784) awaiting code and UX review (myk)
    • patch to move the rest of the RDF code from native nsExternalHelperAppService to JS nsHandlerService (bug 393492) awaiting review and super-review (myk)
    • working with QA to get basic protocol handling app up post-M8
    • 5 blocking? M8 bugs
  • Microformats (mkaply)
    • Finishing up changes based on more review comments from sayrer
    • Discussion finally started in bug bug 377450 about how to hook things
    • Alex having discussion with microformats community about in page UI
  • Places (Places team)
    • 23 Blockers - Many of these are not user-facing,and will be retargeted for M9 in favor of UI implementation bugs.
    • UI implementation bugs targeting M8
    • follow up tweaks and improvements to the url location bar autocomplete results
  • Storage (sdwilsh)
    • no update
  • Password Manager (dolske)
    • Continuing work on M8 blockers
    • Held Security/Design review on Friday. Light attendance w/ dveditz and 3 QA folks, but had a good discussion and identified 3 issues to work on.
  • Addons Manager (Rob Strong, Mossop, mwu)
    • Disable insecure extension updates by default (No PRD Item?) - bug 378216 awaiting review rstrong.
    • Extension updates should link to further information (ADD-003g) - bug 297903 awaiting review rstrong.
    • Remove extension installation whitelist (ADD-01d) - bug 252830 awaiting review dveditz, gavin.sharp.
    • Allow Add-on configuration UI to be accessed from main application configuration UI (ADD-002a and ADD-002b) - bug 384956 awaiting ui-review Madhava, has r=mano.
    • Add permanent button for restarting Firefox (ADD-003b) - bug 392812 last remaining fallout from landing bug 369075
    • Unify add-ons management system and add plugin management system (ADD-003e) - Java plugin doesn't stay disabled on restart when disabled via plugin manager bug 391730 should be landing soon.
  • Distribution Reqs (dmills)
  • Security, Privacy
    • Countermeasures for Java/plugin/extension vulnerabilities (disable, warn, offer updates) - (SPI-003b) - lots of remaining work bug 391731
  • Installer
    • Install as a non-admin user on Vista (INST-004a) - bug 370571 In progress
  • Retention (No PRD Category)
    • Take over user defaults during install on Win32 (No PRD item) - bug 392137 in progress.
  • User Experience
    • Take away 20 user experience bugs & n delightful UI features
      • mconnor to publish list and bugs to track this week
    • Theming/Visual Makeover
      • Still working on finding an icon designer for Windows/Linux.

Security Review

  • Design Review Proposal
  • Need to come up with schedule and process [Action: Window]
  • Suggested order for review
    • (done) Password Manager
    • Places
    • Web Content Handlers, Microformats & RSS
    • Add-Ons
    • Offline Apps
    • Cross-domain XMLHttpRequest
    • Distribution/Customization
    • ContentEditable
    • Private Browsing
    • Malware Protection

Release Notes

QA Status/Topics

Build Topics

Localization Topics

Round table

  • There is a full Firefox 3 documentation plan available, which shows the status of each item needing documentation. Please make sure items you know need developer documentation written are on that list.
  • reminder to use #granparadiso on IRC for discussion of milestone-releated deliverables, features, QA testing, etc; it's to be the defacto location for chatter regarding Gran Paradiso releases
  • sspitzer: software update fixes for fx 3 [1]

Gecko 1.9 Meeting

Meeting Details

  • Wednesdays - 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC
  • Mozilla Building S - <script> conference room
  • 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x91 Conf# 217 (US/INTL)
  • 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 217 (US)
  • join irc.mozilla.org #granparadiso for backchannel

General Discussion

Action Item:

  • Driver for M8?
  • SVG Blockers/Noms/Driver/Triage of backlog?
  • Andrew Smith's Border Image

Reminders:

  • Reminder that Sept 5 is M8 code freeze.
  • What we're working on:
    • 1.9 Blockers Only
    • Prioritizing those blockers which are high complexity and may have unknowns causing longer time to implement.
    • Security Bugs
    • Crashers
    • Memory Leaks and Performance
    • Hangs, Regressions, and other broken features.
  • Note that on Sept 5th we'll go into Tree Control/Threat Level Red which means: all checkins require explicit approval flags.
  • On approval flags, we believe we have the queries fixed, but if you find that a component for 1.9 is missing in one of the either the approval queries or the triage queries, please email the driver for that component know via email and request that it be added.
  • After M8, We'll resume Tree Control Level Yellow: 1.9+, wanted-1.9 bugs auto approved, other changes require explicit approval flags.

Note: See this dev-planning thread for more info.

Blockers and Noms

Blockers report:

GFX Update

  • Progress Last Week
  • Planned for This Week
  • Issues/concerns:

Layout Update

Content Update

  • Progress Last Week
  • Planned for This Week
  • Issues/concerns:

Mac OS X Update

Platform/Build Tools Update

Release Notes