Notices / Schedule
- Firefox 3.0.15: 2 open blockers
- Firefox 3.5.4: 1 open blockers
- Branches re-open for next releases in October
- have fixes, still on track
- now string frozen
- 37 P1 blockers, 1 unprioritized blocker
- needed before b1 cutoff:
- lightweight themes (done)
- about:support (done)
- js c types (done)
- plugin update referrals (pending)
- Release Blockers (flag: blocking1.9.2 or blocking-firefox3.6)
Browser / Front End
(Progress reports every weekend on Planet Firefox)
- see our active projects and get involved / propose others
- Namoroka/mozilla-1.9.2 front end development:
- Firefox 3.6 b1 blockers:
- No update this week; see the GFX meeting notes for information.
- 9 P1 blockers: all with patches
- Caret positioning issues
- liboggplay update landed!
- Found a cause of random video-related orange
- Shifting focus to top-crash fixing
- Temporarily de-prioritizing XBL2 work
- Temporarily de-prioritizing some performance work
- Making good progress on off main thread HTML5 parsing (hsivonen)
- Looking at adding DOM API for matching nodes against CSS selectors.
Platform-specific Support Update
- (josh) 64-bit Mac OS X builds are running, stable with no major disabled functionality. Last two patches on are bugzilla and should be in the tree within a week.
- (josh) Putting JEP back on the 1.9.2 branch for Java on Mac OS X.
- ES5 defineProperties in review
- nanojit work continues
- Improving performance of code that currently requires JS_Invoke (string.replace with lambda arg, for example)
Highlights from the weekly update post, and work started this week:
- John Dagget got a ~20% cold startup improvement and ~4% warm startup improvement on Mac in bug 517045 by tweaking font initialization. Jonathan Kew has a further improvement to font init in bug 519445, around 8% warm and 28% cold.
- Ben is killing stat()s and system calls in bug 511761.
- Taras has a patch up for service consolidation in bug 516085.
- Drew is working on manifest file consolidation in bug 506392.
- Ryan is determining if we can push back spellcheck dictionary init in bug 496217, for 70-100ms win.
- Ryan also has review on bug 475289 for a 20ms win, should be landing soon.
- Zack is working on CSS parser speedups in bug 513149.
Join us on IRC in #startup.
- nothing to report
- Windowed plugins working! Got various flash demos, the testplugin, and youtube working on Windows and Linux
- Windowless plugins work on Linux due to some awesome quick hacks by cjones, but are painfully slow. Need the graphics buffering and async drawing from karlt/jeffm.
- We've stopped running unittests as part of the old unittest build+test job ("U" on tbpl). Only running packaged tests now ("M", "E"). These are also on the Firefox-Unittest / Firefox3.6-Unittest waterfalls. bug 507540
- Now also running tests on debug builds, and optimized builds. These show up as other "M", "E" boxes on tbpl, and have "debug" or "opt" in their name.
- Testing of release builds Real Soon Now.
- Soon mochitest test runs will be being split up according to which directory they're in. These will be showing up as, e.g., "Linux mozilla-central test mochitests-1" bug 487689
- CrashKill meeting notes here. If there's something you can help with there, great. Devs have been assigned to about the top 20 or so crashers there, and we hope to knock them out quickly.