« previous week | index | next week »
Notices / Schedule
Firefox 4 Beta
- we shipped Firefox 4 Beta 4 last week
- we have code frozen Firefox 4 Beta 5
- over 600 bugs resolved for beta5
- 234 of those were blockers, yay!
- 23 were nominated to block and haven't been triaged
- 21 were marked blocking-
- 139 were given approval2.0+
- so about 200 or so bugs were NPOTB, test fixes, resolved without a checkin (or checked in without approval!)
Firefox 3.6.9 & 3.5.12
- Went to beta last Thursday
- Still intend to ship on September 7th
- On the lookout for any regressions that would necessitate a build #2. If you find one, email firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
Firefox 3.6.10 & 3.5.13
- Draft schedule will be released this week
- We have already been marking bugs as blocking and approving nominated patches
Firefox 4 Beta
- a handy list of triage queries is available for all!
- Beta 6: 120 blockers
- Beta: 399 blockers
- Final: 293 blockers
- TOTAL: 692 blockers
- nominations: 146 nominations
(from our goals):
- [ON TRACK] Feature complete Firefox 4
- [DONE] Switch to Tab
- [DONE] App Tabs - Scope for 4.0 reduced (non-global), near feature complete.
- [DONE] Extension Manager - Bug list is converging, still a lot of work to do.
- [DONE] Web Console
- [ON TRACK] Notification UI - Geo and EM notifications done, http auth next.
- [ON TRACK] New Theme - Windows and Mac good, Linux catching up now
- [AT RISK] Silent updates on Windows
- [DROPPED] Inspector
- [DROPPED] Account Manager - WIP patches posted, but we can't contain the review load and code risk.
- [AT RISK] Dirty profile startup within 20% of clean profile startup (modulo extensions, plugins; on windows)
- Current status: Lots of data has been collected and analyzed, but no solid conclusions have shaken out.
- Details page
- Shawn has an updated blog post. Read it for more info.
- Bugs on file that help:
Excessive cookie i/o bug bug 572223(fixed)
- Session Restore negatively impacts startup time based on the number of tabs loaded bug 582005
Suboptimal SQLite page size bug 416330(fixed)
- Provide a global VACUUM component bug 541373
(there is a team-by-team goals breakdown, as well)
- [DONE] Hardware acceleration of video and other HTML and SVG content, as well as user interface, on by default for compatible hardware on all Tier-1 desktop and mobile platforms.
- [DONE] Fully support the WebGL 1.0 spec, with support turned on by default in a Firefox 4 beta on platforms that support OpenGL or OpenGL ES.
- [MISSED] security: zero reproducible high/crit > 30 days
- [DONE] Support multi-process Fennec.
- [DONE] Support Jetpacks running in separate processes and never blocking the Fennec UI. NOTE: jetpack team hasn't actually integrated this code yet, but it works in small test environments.
- Brendan's patch for bug 558451 landed. Big win on v8 benchmarks. Showing a smallish Tp/Memset regression, most likely due to GC scheduling.
- ES5: 10-15 bugs. The substantial ones needed Brendan's patch.
- JSON.parse no longer permits trailing commas (also bug 582077 to keep a legacy mode for bookmarks "JSON" parsing)
fun.callernow throws if
funis a strict mode function
Function.prototype.bindimplemented (see also docs)
- Current work
- bug 492844, bug 492845, bug 492849: extensibility, sealability, freezability ES5 methods (patch nearly done, almost ready for review, was waiting for bug 558451)
- Implement ES5's top-level function statement definition algorithm
- Compartments: 14 bugs left.
- JM: landing on TM tree today. Need to evaluate ARM status and debugger status.
- Beta 5 is good to go with Direct2D hardware accelerated rendering.
- This week, we will be turning on Direct3D hardware accelerated compositing of layers on all Windows platforms.
- You can test hardware accelerated compositing of layers by setting the pref
layers.accelerate-all. However, there are some (huge) known issues on OS X, so we suggest you not turn it on for OS X quite yet.
- If you run into trouble, run Firefox in safe mode - hardware acceleration is disabled in safe mode.
- bug 130078 landed
- Some regressions; biggest issue is screen readers being mostly broken on Windows due to sniffing of our HWND hierarchy (bug 591874)
- Known Tp regressions on some platforms because paint suppression in loading documents is effectively disabled; patches in bug 591435 will turn those regressions into wins
- Remote XUL and XBL now disabled, landed for beta5 (sicking)
- Try What You Want
- The TryChooser is running in production now which allows you to select the specific try builds/test/talos runs you want (as well as which platforms) in your hg commit comment. Please see documentation and give it a go! This new feature gives devs more self-serve tools, and with more people using it will save on builder cycles thus reducing try wait times.
- If you want a test/talos suite(s) (re)triggered, please use this handy template for bugzilla with much information already entered for you
- usage data (PDF) supports proposal to drop OSX/PPC support for Firefox 4 [beltzner]
- current OSX/PPC audience is pretty small
- declining usage on older branches
- no matching growth on Firefox 3.6
- implication is that we're not seeing a growing audience of OSX/PPC users, and we are seeing existing users leave that platform over time
- Anyone looking through the data collected from beta feedback via our Input dashboard? [aakashd]
- Did you know we have daily reports on the past week's worth of messages received with URLs attached to them? or on the past week's worth of clustered opinions?
- If you're uncomfortable understanding how to search through our feedback, here's some example searches (fyi: they all have RSS feeds)
- Issues with Fonts
- Issues with Firefox Menu Button
- App Tabs
- Issues with Direct2D
- Issues with developer tools such as -> web console & inspect
- issues with the addons manager
- issues with switch to tab
- issues with panorama (i.e. tab candy)
- issues with tabs on top
- To see a list of bugs file/found due to messages received via Input, take a look at this bug query
- bug 533038 will stop unpacking extension XPIs by default in beta6.