Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2013-06-11 - 11:00 am Pacific
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Warp Core / SFO-Boardroom / Tor Commons
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Actions
- 2 Hot Bugs
- 3 The Need To Know
- 4 Key Issues
- 5 Team Stand-ups
- 5.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 5.2 Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- 5.3 B2G Simulator (dtownsend)
- 5.4 B2G Services (dougt)
- 5.5 Developer Tools (dcamp)
- 5.6 DOM (jst/dougt)
- 5.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)
- 5.8 Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- 5.9 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 5.10 Firefox OS (sicking)
- 5.11 GFX (milan)
- 5.12 Identity (jedp)
- 5.13 JS (naveed)
- 5.14 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 5.15 Media (mreavy/kentuckyfriedtakahe)
- 5.16 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 5.17 Performance (vladan)
- 5.18 WebAPI (overholt)
- 5.19 Plugins And Data (bsmedberg)
- 6 Quality Programs
- 7 Roundtable
- 8 <Read only beyond this point>
(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)
- Orange Factor
- bug 861700 (Intermittent browser_705597.js,browser_707862.js | uncaught exception - [object Event] at undefined:undefined) is #1 top orange and unowned.
- Affects OSX and Windows.
- Possible regression from bug 845681.
- bug 853959 (DrawingContext::DrawBitmap) is an unowned Canvas2D crash that turned into a topcrash across channels apparently due to Apple's iOS7 page.
- We should try to get on this before more similar pages appear with an even higher profile.
- bug 880842 (mozilla::gfx::DrawTargetCG::DrawSurface) is a new unowned trunk topcrash, but the GFX team seems to be on it and have a good suspect for the patch causing it.
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
- FF22b5 will be going to build today/tomorrow, released before the end of the week
- x86 Android audio fix
- Fix for the #1 top Mac crasher
- Only two weeks away from release! Speak now or forever hold your peace :)
- A note on Radeon driver issues, and preventing the loss of .5 million users
|Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta)||Unresolved Beta 64 Trackers (non-security)|
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)
Mike Hoye notes that UCOSP - the Undergraduate Capstone Open Source Project class, a distributed-team last-year project - is moving along, and we have three great submissions for projects so far. If you have other projects that would be suitable for a team of smart kids to work on for a few months in the fall, or any questions, send two or three paragraphs describing them to Mike Hoye at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Quick poke on jst's Embracing git usage for Firefox/Gecko development? thread. If you have thoughts on this subject, please respond this week.
What are the most important problems for the web?
If you have thoughts, contact Anne van Kesteren (annevk) or Andrew Overholt (overholt) on IRC or via email.
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
- B2G - Add option for installing additional extensions in DEBUG mode - Patch on. bug 879563
- Fixed a pesky assertion related accessible cache (children of a parent removed from the DOM).
- Reduced braille verbosity to match user expectations.
- Accessible text fixes marching along with positive vendor feedback.
Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- Last weeks meeting notes
- Emails about add-on repacks have been sent out
- Work on connecting the SDK console to the new browser console
- Heads down on UI components
B2G Simulator (dtownsend)
B2G Services (dougt)
- Love some feedback/help on front end work of whereismyfox
- Enabling push notifications for B2G 1.1 across the board
- Same servers are going to support android+desktop
Developer Tools (dcamp)
- Meeting Notes
- Discussing the separation of REPL and Logging in the web console here.
- Black-boxing sources in the debugger: discussion, bug 877682
- Remote inspector/b2g content processes progressing
- Promises/Futures and API design
- XBL refactor (bug 653881). Note that this might cause regressions, we are going to land early and stay on top of incoming bugs.
Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)
- Australis still on track to land in about 2 weeks (beginning of the 25 train). Try out a UX build and file bugs!
- URL autocomplete fix: death to www.pastebin.mozilla.org (bug 769348)
- New tab preloading landed (with wins to tab animation smoothness and newtab load time), but will need to be reverted to investigate talos regressions (bug 791670)
Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- Returning intern jwilde starts this week.
- mochitest-browser-chrome now running in automation; will be visible on TBPL once remaining oranges are fixed (bug 880298).
- Basic support for scrollbars landed; we would like to move to "hovering" scrollbars like on OS X that appear when using a mouse without requiring a reflow (bug 881081).
- Working on some lightweight mochitest-browser-chrome performance tests (bug 859155).
- About to start implementation of new download UI (bug 801136).
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- Cleanup for and documentation added to bug 877728 - Add pixel units to android/widget JNI code uses of gfx::Point, gfx::Rect
- WebRTC + permissions have been removed from Firefox 23 bug 879335
- Fix audio problem for Android x86 (bug 879651)
- We also backed out Contacts API for Android permission request until main code lands bug 857730
- Good gUM video playback fixes landed: bug 874546, bug 874572
- May Perf Checkup
- bug 876562 - In Fennec content behind fullscreen content should not be pannable, zoomable, or visible
- has reduced test case
- options are: messy backout, hail mary fix, rel note
- bug 880259 Firefox should use GeckoView
- plan to land for Fx25 immediately after the merge
Firefox OS (sicking)
- New GFX intern, Guillaume Abade started last week
- Rendering biweekly meeting alternating between 2:30pm PST and 5:30pm PST to allow easier Taipei participation
- A number of (unrelated?) regressions in Nvidia's 3D Vision, H.264, images, Silverlight
- Key items in progress:
- Moz2D core graphics (Azure Quartz)
- OMT image animation
- Will have some participation in the upcoming Desktop work week
- Last Week:
- Fri-Sun work weekend in Portland (Austin, Jed, Crystal)
- Main efforts this Week:
- Persona in RTC peer connection auth (Ryan at RTC work week, Jed)
- Sign-in-to-web in desktop browser, esp. UI issues (Austin)
- Persona sign-in UX for b2g FTE (Jed, Crystal, et al.)
- Compiler (JIT)
- bug 859609: Enable inlining of heavyweight functions as well as anonymous lambda clones
- Garbage Collection
- bug 861925: Handle ArrayBuffers that are both shared and Transferable
- Added B2G-specific analysis to catch rooting hazards in code not compiled for the desktop browser
- Front End and Other
- Compiler (JIT)
- Garbage Collection
- bug 877762: Working on post barriering GC thing pointers on browser heap
- Get exact rooting green in the browser
- Front End and Other
- CSS Working Group met last week in Tokyo, followed by Test the Web Forward Event
- CSS Working Group agreed on two hard issues needed to advance CSS Transitions
- pango text shaping code has been removed since we've been using harfbuzz for a while (bug 810252)
- Servo CSS work started: selector matching
- New Intern: Cory Ford starts next week (will sit next to jet and cpeterson in SF)
- Video with HE-AAC audio is now working on Windows 7/8.
- First implementation of WebRTC on Desktop is going out in Firefox 22
- WebRTC is at a work week this week in Sunnyvale (just down the road from the MV office). Details are here: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Media/WebRTC/WebRTC_workweek_20130610
- During the work week, we plan to update the core WebRTC libraries on Nightly to the latest stable branch. The bug to follow for this is Bug 880879. If you notice any regressions after the update, please let Randell (jesup on irc) know.
- Web Audio has been landing in Firefox. For the latest status on Web Audio, follow the tracking bug: Bug 779297 and check out: https://wiki.mozilla.org/WebAudio_API_Rollout_Status.
- NOTE: We have a new bugzilla component: "Web Audio" under Core. Please file new Web Audio bugs there.
- Off main thread delivery for OnDataAvailable (bug 497003) coming very soon.
- first client is HTML parser, then imglib
- Cache rewrite: still early, but starting to integrate and test new API and file system layers
- Mark Reid has joined the Perf team. He will be working on the Telemetry backend reboot
- bug 867757, bug 867762: Extending Gecko Profiler to support arbitrary annotations
- bug 881578, bug 881575, bug 879957: A few small improvements to reduce startup I/O
- bug 880296: We need to load fewer DLLs on startup
- Starting Android startup investigation
- bug 872421, bug 880664: Landed a module loader for chrome workers
- bug 853388: Working on converting Addon Manager storage from SQLite to JSON, and moving its I/O off the main thread
- bug 813742: Parallelizing the reftest and crashtest suites
- bug 748598?: Dhaval will be working on storing Firefox caches in volatile (purgeable) memory on Android & B2G
- Implemented promises (as "future"; will rename) (bug 856410)
- still need to figure out how to land due to spec churn
- Implemented SharedWorkers (bug 643325) (awaiting review)
- Regular spec work (SysApps, Promises, Fetch)
- Got a lot closer to final patch for temporary storage (IDB first)
- Get temporary storage patch(es) up for review
- Promise followups
- SharedWorkers followups
- W3C AC meeting in Tokyo
- "What are the most important problems for the web?"
Plugins And Data (bsmedberg)
- Finishing up the new doorhanger for click-to-play plugins, details in firefox-dev
- Finishing up data collection for latency of IPC messages and hooking that into the profiler to analyze plugin slowness
- Investigating orphan FHR reports
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Last report showed good risk factor decrease. Yay!
- Meets today at 4PM PDT
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 4.1 (Previous Week: 5.90).
- 17 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Stability numbers look good overall.
- Trunk has high crash rates due to bug 880842 (see Hot Bugs) and bug 881266 (fixed by bug 877584 backout for now).
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
<Read only beyond this point>
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)