Platform/2013-09-03

From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


« previous week | index | next week »

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2013-09-03 - 11:00 am Pacific
  • Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
    • People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
    • SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Widmer
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Actions

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
  • bug 906378 - Intermittent layout/style/test/test_transitions_per_property.html | application timed out after 330 seconds with no output
    • #1 orange, currently unowned
    • bug 859807 also tracks a similar timeout - (milan: dholbert is looking at this one, it may be just adjusting the timeout)
    • milan: dholbert suggests that two bugs are different, but we'll see where fixing 859807 takes us
    • milan will find owner(s) - dholbert is owning these for now, landed changes to both bugs, but since these are intermittent issues, we don't really know one way or another yet
Stability
Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (akeybl/lsblakk/bajaj)

Next Merge: March 12, 2018 Next Release: March 13, 2018
Trains
Central: 61 Aurora: 54 Beta: 60 Release:
  1. REDIRECT Template:Version/Gecko/release/current
  • FF24.0b7 for Desktop was shipped on Friday
  • FF24.0b8 has gone to build yesterday and is planned to ship today
  • FF24.0b8 for Mobile is pending due to bugs :
46 bugs (39 bugs last week)
30 bugs (36 bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 60 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

  • Not upcoming, but there was an unplanned crash-stats outage for 20 minutes from 2013-08-28 16:14:19,783 to 2013-08-28 16:35:08,147 PST during which data collection halted, the first such outage in 3 years, due to a configuration issue.

Key Issues

(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Accessibility (dbolter)

  • Attention toolkit peeps! Trevor made the accessibility syntax part of XUL much nicer (and removed nsIAccessibleProvider). Details are in bug 846185.

Add-on SDK (dtownsend)

Team Meetup last week. Demoed lots of cool ideas:

  • Creating an add-on to share style changes made by the developer tools
  • Allow installing an add-on in Firefox and have it auto-reload when the add-on's files change
  • Providing common JS loaders to all restartless add-ons and other Firefox code
  • A debugger for add-ons
  • An API to create and run GCLI commands

App Tools (dtownsend)

New screencast for the app manager: http://people.mozilla.com/~prouget/appmanager.webm

B2G Services (dougt)

<Read Only>

Developer Tools (dcamp)

Luca Greco ported the Ember.js extension to the devtools: https://groups.google.com/d/topic/mozilla.dev.developer-tools/9FdHXQ7VJQ4/discussion

Work week last week:

DOM (jst/dougt)

Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)

Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)

<Read Only>

  • Need to get APZ stable enough to turn on by default. (tracking: bug 886321) Various 'major' open issues:
  • Windows 8.1 incompatibility / perf issues should be fixed this week (bug 907410).
  • Misc. front end polish work continues.

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

Firefox OS Browser (blassey)

  • Done: bug 898478 - "Provide some seamless scrolling mechanism in multi-APZC for B2G dynamic toolbar work
  • Done: bug 906427 - Disallow pinch-zoom on subframes
  • Next: bug 904533 - APZ panning on about:start tab is wonky

Firefox OS Communications (scravag)

<Read Only>

Last week was the end of Comms Apps Sprint 3.

29 points have been closed (24 bugs fixed)

  • Retrospect
    • Get better at estimation
    • Looks like we over commit
    • Box.com for public access on visuals / UX spec
    • As Comms Apps has many dependencies, we must improve cross-team communication
      • Oslo discussion with various teams in how to improve cross-team communication
    • Taiwan room seems to add a lot of echo to our calls
  • Demo
    • Bug 887776 - [User Story] Export contact as VCARD to Media Card
    • Sprint3 demo (09/02) covering export contact to Media card: show contact list, select contact, export contact to Media Card, delete contact, import contact from Media Card (also covering duplicate contacts in active mode from Add contact window): https://vimeo.com/73443222
    • Bug 887663 - [User Story] Receiving contact as a VCARD via Bluetooth
    • Bug 840915 - [Settings] FDN Support in Gaia
    • Bug 908679 and bug 871127: Place a new call + new status bar style, WIP
    • Conference call "live" demo

The team is still confident to deliver the 1.2 must have features by 9/16

Firefox OS Devices/Porting/Bluetooth (mchen)

<Read Only>

  • V1.2 Features/Project
    • bug 855655 - [AudioChannelManager] Add New Attribute for Setting Default Control Volume Channel per Window
    • bug 908058 - [ScreenOrientation] add orientation keyword 'default' to express normal orientation
    • [ScreenOrientation] Propose new Web API for reporting screen orientation but disabling auto screen orientation. (dev-webapi)
    • bug 873006 - [Bluetooth] Support CDMA for Bluetooth HFP profile
    • [Bluetooth] Integrate A2DP/AVRCP between Gecko & Gaia.
    • [Bluetooth] PTS for new Profiles.
    • [Flatfish] Porting new platform - AllWinner on JB MR1 (4.2)
  • (V1.1) [Helix] bug 904544, bug 909741

Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)

<Read Only>

  • Last Week
    • Completed our first sprint and landed music and video app related features
    • Continue working on the DRM FL prototype
    • Added AVRCP 1.0 support for Music app and continue working on AVRCP 1.3 integration (Bug: 897882)
    • Cleaning up Camera Control API (Bug 909542)
    • Bugs: 900425, 909746, 905784, 909746, 871364, 799998, 905849, 909521, 909746, 831446, 909537, 905008
    • Planned our second sprint (short one ending before Oslo workweek). Details here: https://www.pivotaltracker.com/s/projects/886840
  • This Week
    • Continue working on user stories/bug fixes for our current sprint
    • Discussing features in backlog for next iteration/release

Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)

<Read Only>

  • bug 898949 - [B2G getUserMedia] Display front/back camera list on permission prompt
  • bug 901805 - reporting network activity in nsUDPSocket
  • bug 904025 - [B2G][WebRTC] media stream should stop when another high priority application request microphone resource
  • bug 909176 - Replace all texture by tiny texture for GL composition
  • bug 908626 - Cache some DisplayItem in reference frame to avoid rebuilding from scratch
  • SkThreadCanvas - separate rendering thread from main thread

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

<Read Only>

Last Week

  • Toronto Workweek

This Week

Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)

Firefox OS Radio/GPS (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • Bugs list, http://goo.gl/0qGqtN
  • Last week
    • Fix Leo+ and hd+ issues.
    • CDMA, to implement call waiting/switching, CDMA subscription information, DTMF and information record.
    • WAP Push, to implmenet the display function.
    • NFC, to have a work week in Mountain View.
    • WPA-EAP, to implement the importing key function.
    • WIFI-Direct, to implement wifi-direct state machine.
  • This week
    • Fix Leo+ and hd+ issues.
    • CDMA, to implement call waiting/switching, CDMA subscription information, DTMF and information record.
    • WAP Push, to implmenet the MSISDN fileter function.
    • NFC, to implement NFCD, WebAPI, NFC manager and NFC session manager.
    • WPA-EAP, to implement the importing key function.
    • WIFI-Direct, to implement wifi-direct state machine.

Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)

<Read Only>

  • Replacing bluescreen (offline handling) implementation discussions.
  • Notification API regressions.
  • Final leo+ bugs: 905927
  • Customization underway. Should be done this week.

Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)

<Read Only>

  • Gaia for Tablet: v1.2 must have are all listed on bugzilla with koi+. Working on it. Waiting for home gesture spec from UX.
  • 3rd-party keyboards framework: Was trapped in UI Test and shell.js racing issue but finally resolved and re-landed. Working on follow-ups.
  • Simplified Chinese IME: Re-do patch because of keyboard app behavior change.
  • Gaia build script: First patch landed, was trapped in some Windows build issue but resolved. Working on add-on and unit test framework.
  • Window management upgrade: Many of patch is still in review, next: activity window
  • Gaia for qHD/WVGA: hd? bugs are pending on our scheduling changes
  • CDMA phone support: On-going. CDMA OTSAP is blocked on Gecko API. Building emulator to test emergency callback (instead of actually calling the police)
  • BT feature support: working on pairing issues. To be demoed next week.

Read more about our on-going work here.

GFX (milan)

<Read Only>

  • Video and camera performance on B2G
  • SkiaGL on B2G

Identity (jedp)

<Read Only> - Crew at SF workweek for Persona in FTE on FirefoxOS

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

  • Last Week
    • Compiler (JIT)
      • bug 910960: Improve codegen of TypeBarrier 7% on richards
      • Investigated lifting DOM accesses from loops - found issue with shape checks being aliased loads
    • Garbage Collection
      • Have rooting static analysis running on build slave ("tbpl static analysis") via buildbot
      • bug 726687: Landed change to key marking for GGC
    • Front End and Other
      • bug 893363: Continued improvements for 'perf' support on ARM
  • Blockers
    • None

Layout (jet/dbaron)

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Daala - coding party in MV Sept 30th to Oct 3rd -- if interested, contact Maire (mreavy@mozilla.com)
  • Fixed the main source of crashes for Android H.264 playback bug 860599
  • WebRTC:
    • Landed webrtc.org 3.34 stable in media/webrtc/trunk. No known regressions so far :-)
    • Plan to uplift major latency improvement to Aurora/25 (bug 884365)
    • Latency monitoring work underway (padenot, crypt, jesup)
    • Stats API and about: stats page for webrtc landing soon (bug 902003 et al)
    • Initial Telemetry patches landed
    • Starting work on end-to-end quality measurements in automation.

Necko (dougt/jduell)

<Read Only>

  • Gum tree is now green for all tests using new cache API plus old cache backend.
    • a few lingering issues with new backend
    • hopefully ready for initial reviews soon.

Performance (vladan)

  • We're starting three new projects:
  1. measuring & improving power use on desktop
  2. making plugin launch & shutdown async
  3. bug 760356,bug 772484: eliminating the add-on compatibility dialog box on first start after Firefox update

Seceng (sstamm)

no update

WebAPI (overholt)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

CritSmash (dbolter)

MemShrink (njn)

Fabrice Desré landed two multi-MB wins for the B2G main process.

Pin Zhang rewrote FM Radio in C++ (replacing the JS implementation) but results appear to be a wash.

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week's OrangeFactor: 10.81 (Previous Week: 5.34). (!!!)
  • At the other end of the spectrum - mozilla-beta OrangeFactor: 0.83 - OHHH MYYY \m/
  • Shout-outs to jdm and smichaud for landing fixes for bugs 686828 and bug 884471, which eliminated many frequent oranges.
  • 26 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • [http://arewestableyet.com/ Overall numbers look mostly good, we'll need to look into the sources of high startup crash numbers on desktop Nightly as well as mobile Nightly/Aurora.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

  • (Read only) Mozilla provides a platform where (currently employees only) can host web sites and services, kinda like EC2. More info at https://mana.mozilla.org/wiki/display/websites/paas.allizom.org. Consider using it for hosting your next Mozilla-related side project because transitioning from this service to IT-managed service is relatively pain free.

<Read only beyond this point>

Friends of the Tree

There were lots of great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work! Here are some highlights:

  • Guillermo López (willyaranda) stopped wakeup information from being sent with UDP push notifications (bug 910686).
  • Joshua Cranmer (jcranmer) helped out with the ongoing build conversion process (bug 906783, bug 910540).
  • Landry Breuil (gaston) added BSD support to WebRTC (bug 807492, bug 909005).
  • Max Stepin stopped transparent areas appearing in APNG files (bug 900200).
  • Richard Marti (paenglab) fixed the hover styling for autocomplete popups on Aero (bug 909813).
  • Masatoshi Kimura (emk) hid a bunch of interfaces from web content (bug 909340, bug 910291, bug 910751, bug 911243).
  • Mina Almasry (mina) fixed a potential GL performance hazard (bug 775843).
  • Tapas Kumar Kundu made the screen orientation observer use the acceleration sensor instead of the orientation one (bug 788975).
  • Brian O'Keefe helped out with the ongoing build conversion process (bug 875934).
  • Rick Eyre implemented VTTCue (bug 868509).
  • Valentin Gosu stopped the about:networking dashboard from leaking private browsing data (bug 909050).
  • Adam Dane (hobophobe) fixed a problem with multipart image mime sniffing ((bug 907575).
  • Martin Stránský (stransky) closed a loophole that allowed installing addons in certain circumstances (bug 815120).
  • David Zbarsky (dzbarsky) added support for non-null default values for WebIDL unions (bug 903277).
  • Xidorn Quan fixed a spacing bug in SVG content (bug 829825).
  • Ivan Alagenchev (ialagenchev) added missing flag sets for mixed content blocking (bug 838396).
  • Kai Engert (kaie) allowed SSL to set exceptions on IPV6 addresses (bug 633001).
  • Birunthan Mohanathas (poiru) limited email inputs to a maximum character length (bug 884332).

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From Today's Meeting

[2:00pm] lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2013-09-03
[2:00pm] davidb joined the chat room.
[2:00pm] khuey: lmandel: where is the meeting in SF?
[2:00pm] lmandel: khuey: Noise Pop
[2:01pm] khuey: lmandel: the wiki doesn't say that
[2:01pm] ehsan left the chat room. (Input/output error)
[2:01pm] laura: dcamp: the shirt makes up for it
[2:01pm] ehsan joined the chat room.
[2:01pm] jimb joined the chat room.
[2:01pm] dcamp: laura: this is definitely a Mossop shirt.
[2:01pm] laura: hehehe
[2:01pm] lmandel: khuey: You're right. It should be war field.
[2:01pm] lmandel: But I see people in Noise Pop
[2:01pm] davidb: dcamp: will you stand in for any daves?
[2:01pm] dcamp: davidb: any daves that gave me up to 24 hour warning
[2:02pm] davidb: bah
[2:02pm] RyanVM|Sheriff joined the chat room.
[2:02pm] jaws: nothing on air.mozilla for the meeting yet
[2:03pm] dcamp: lmandel: I also plan to steamroller over dougt's update and do all of mine at the same time.  Want me to reorg the notes?
[2:03pm] lmandel: dcamp: Have at it.
[2:03pm] kats joined the chat room.
[2:03pm] khuey: lmandel: warfield is booked by someone else
[2:04pm] dougt: i don't have much of an update today.
[2:04pm] dolske: BLOOD
[2:04pm] laura: lmandel: added an outage notice, hit refresh
[2:04pm] dougt: yeah, just reading that too. 
[2:04pm] khuey: lmandel: anyways nobody has kicked us out of noise pop yet
[2:04pm] dcamp: actually I don't want to midair other updates, so I'll wait
[2:05pm] dcamp: dougt: it's not personal.
[2:05pm] dougt: the shirt?
[2:05pm] Waldo joined the chat room.
[2:05pm] Waldo: look who's jst in time 
[2:05pm] khuey: Waldo--
[2:05pm] davidb: "sorry folks - no live air mozilla today"
[2:06pm] milan left the chat room. (Input/output error)
[2:06pm] ddahl_ left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:07pm] breck joined the chat room.
[2:08pm] geo- left the chat room. (Quit: Linkinus - http://linkinus.com)
[2:08pm] lmandel: we're recording. Will be posted to air mozilla later
[2:10pm] jedp left the chat room. (Quit: Computer has gone to sleep.)
[2:11pm] tracy|lunch is now known as tracy.
[2:11pm] tracy left the chat room.
[2:11pm] mfinkle: dcamp, remote inspector ?
[2:11pm] jet|pto left the chat room. (Quit: jet|pto)
[2:11pm] joduinn is now known as joduinn-mtg.
[2:12pm] dougt: dcamp is having too much fun.
[2:12pm] ted joined the chat room.
[2:12pm] kar left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:12pm] margaret: gavin is on a plane
[2:12pm] dcamp: I am.
[2:12pm] ctalbert joined the chat room.
[2:12pm] marcia_ joined the chat room.
[2:12pm] ted: i don't think i've ever seen the "conference is being recorded" indicator
[2:13pm] dveditz: I think we've used it a week or two here
[2:13pm] • Waldo likes how dcamp's camera is in the being-interviewed-for-a-documentary position
[2:13pm] kar joined the chat room.
[2:13pm] margaret: Waldo: haha
[2:13pm] dcamp: better than interviewed for a reality tv show
[2:13pm] ted: haha
[2:13pm] lmandel: RyanVM|Sheriff: Anything to call out today (apart from the hot bug)?
[2:13pm] ted: all status updates will now be delivered in the style of the real world interviews
[2:14pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: lmandel: nah
[2:14pm] lmandel: KaiRo: anything from you today?
[2:14pm] Waldo: margaret, dcamp: the t-shirt fits the pose well, too
[2:14pm] dcamp: I want to be clear
[2:14pm] KaiRo: lmandel: no
[2:14pm] dcamp: I'm pretty sure "blood" on this shirt refers to "family"
[2:14pm] dcamp: skulls and machine guns aside
[2:15pm] Waldo: let me know, I'll find a crips shirt to wear next time to complete it 
[2:15pm] vladan joined the chat room.
[2:15pm] johnath: vladan: safari was making a bunch of noise about power use testing a while back - do we know anything about their harness?
[2:15pm] Preeti left the chat room. (Quit: Leaving.)
[2:15pm] vladan: i don't, others might. i can get back to you on that
[2:15pm] vladan: ^ johnath
[2:15pm] dolske: dcamp: BLOOP
[2:16pm] dcamp: sometimes
[2:16pm] ted: didn't Microsoft do power use testing sometime in the recent past?
[2:16pm] dcamp: the pdx Widmer room does not disconnect
[2:16pm] dcamp: no matter how hard I try.
[2:17pm] dolske: ted: I think that was Apple
[2:17pm] jjensen left the chat room. (Quit: is away)
[2:17pm] bmoss left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:17pm] milan joined the chat room.
[2:17pm] dolske: http://www.reddit.com/r/firefox/comments/1g4mpb/apple_firefox_power_usage_is_sad/
[2:17pm] victorporof left the chat room. (Quit: victorporof)
[2:18pm] johnath: vladan: ^^
[2:18pm] kats left the chat room.
[2:19pm] dolske: afaik they never said anything about exactly how they arrived at those numbers.
[2:19pm] ted: dolske: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2011/03/28/browser-power-consumption-leading-the-industry-with-internet-explorer-9.aspx
[2:19pm] ted: is what i'm thinking of
[2:19pm] sfink is now known as sfink|afk.
[2:19pm] sfink|afk is now known as sfink|earthquake.
[2:19pm] sfink|earthquake is now known as sfink|plague.
[2:19pm] ted: we looked pretty good in those tests