Platform/2013-08-27

From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search


« previous week | index | next week »

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2013-08-27 - 11:00 am Pacific
  • Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
    • People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
    • Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
    • SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Widmer
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Actions

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
  • bug 874108 (from last week) - Some discussion in bug, still no owner.
  • test_focus_autocomplete.xul (from last week) disabled on trunk. Will land on Aurora/Beta as well.
  • bug 686828 (from two weeks ago) remains a top failure across all branches. Last comment in bug says it needs a different owner.
Stability
Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (akeybl/lsblakk/bajaj)

Next Merge: December 10, 2018 Next Release: December 11, 2018
Trains
Central: 65 Aurora: 54 Beta: 64 Release:
  1. REDIRECT Template:Version/Gecko/release/current
  • Firefox 24b6 Desktop and Mobile shipping today
39 bugs (41 bugs last week)
36 bugs (66 bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 64 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.) <Read Only>

  • There was a Windows-only dependency bustage for C++ files over the weekend. If you aren't seeing proper build dependencies, pull central and perform a clobber build.

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Key Issues

(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Accessibility (dbolter)

Add-on SDK (dtownsend)

<Read Only>

The team are in Paris for a meet up this week

App Tools (dtownsend)

<Read Only>

The team are in Paris for a meet up this week

B2G Services (dougt)

Developer Tools (dcamp)

DOM (jst/dougt)

Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)

  • Australis
    • tpaint/ts_paint regressions have been eliminated, thanks to great work from the Australis team, and support from the perf team and mstange
    • focus is on TART now
  • SessionStore
    • e10s-friendly approach to splitting the collection work into smaller chunks is close to landing: bug 894595
    • using the battery API to modify collection intervals: bug 506975

Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)

<Read Only>

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

  • Continued APZC work for B2G & Metro. Landed bug 895905, bug 898580. WIP for b2g: bug 898478
  • bug 880259 GeckoView is now actually landed for Fx26
  • Also a WIP for B2G, UA override bug 897221
  • SkiaGL fixups
  • Landed UI rewrite! See articles for the new about:home in the "Good Reads" section

Firefox OS Browser (benfrancis standing in for blassey)

Recently landed:

  • bug 840210 - Customise search engine at build time
  • bug 808732 - Enable user to choose search engine

Working on:

Firefox OS Communications (scravag)

<Read Only>

List of demoed features:

Features in progress

  • Conference Call up to 5 attendees
    • API has been validated
    • Dialer modification in progress
  • FDN
    • Settings part is almost finished


Remaining Comms App leo+

  • 5

Firefox OS Devices/Porting (mchen)

<Read Only>

  • Last week
    • Porting FxOS to allwinner platform (JB4.2.2 porting) for flatfish project.
    • To fix leo+/hd+ bugs.
    • BT - HFP for CDMA
    • BT - Integration test between Gecko & Gaia for AVRCP
    • BT - Bluetooth socket on Bluedroid.
  • This week
    • The same with last week.

Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)

<Read Only>

  • Last Week
  • This Week
    • Wrap up some of the 1.2 must-have/nice-to-have features (music status icon/displaying now-playing info on utility tray/display extra info on videos/Disabling ADB connection when device is locked).
    • Prioritize the feature gaps in the new music app and figure out a plan to address them.
    • Continue working on the forward lock implementation
    • Plan our next sprint for 1.2

Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)

<Read Only>

  • Last week
    • Media Recording bug 888177 - [meta] Implement ImageCapture API
    • WebRTC bug 853356 - [B2G getUserMedia] Display camera/ microphone permission acquisition prompt
    • B2G Gfx bug 905589 - Enable hw composer for flatfish
    • B2G Gfx bug 899798 - [B2G] With Skia/GL, canvases get re-composited with B and R channels swapped
    • B2G Gfx bug 907109 - [B2G] LayerTree analysis for b2g homescreen
  • This week
    • Media Recording bug 888177 - [meta] Implement ImageCapture API
    • Media Recording bug 891704 - [MediaEncoder] Implement MP4Writer, migrate stagefright mp4 muxer
    • B2G Gfx bug 908033 - [META] Render profiler suite

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

<Read Only>

Bug List

Last Week

This Week:

  • We're in Toronto right now for our workweek! (August 26-29)

Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)

<Read Only>

Current sprint tracking and bug shortlist:

Notable current efforts

  • Periodic e-mail synchronization with notifications work ongoing
  • Fixing backlog of e-mail UI and back-end bugs

Firefox OS Radio/GPS (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • Bugs list, http://goo.gl/0qGqtN
  • Last week
    • Fix Leo+ and hd+ issues.
    • CDMA, to implement call waiting/switching, OTASP, CDMA subscription information, cell broadcast, information record, and ECB.
    • WAP Push, to implmenet the display function.
    • NFC, to implement the NFC deamon and communication protocol.
    • WPA-EAP, to implement the importing key function.
    • WIFI-Direct, to rebase the WIFI-Direct patches and implement test app.
  • This week
    • Fix Leo+ and hd+ issues.
    • CDMA, to implement call waiting/switching, CDMA subscription information, and information record.
    • WAP Push, to implmenet the display function.
    • NFC, to have a work week in Mountain View.
    • WPA-EAP, to implement the importing key function.
    • WIFI-Direct, to implement wifi-direct state machine.

Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)

<Read Only>

  • Fixing last leo+ bugs: 905927
  • Notification: Replacing landed. Working on closing and getting all notifications.
  • Customization: Bookmarks done, working on contacts, background image.
  • Offline Error: Replacing blue screen.

Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)

<Read Only>

  • Gaia for Tablet: low risk patches to start landing this week.
  • 3rd-party keyboards framework: on-going, encounter some B2G/Desktop specific racing issue.
  • Simplified Chinese IME: no update this week.
  • Gaia build script: First patch in review.
  • Window management upgrade: No patch landed last week because of leo+ work.
  • Gaia for qHD/WVGA: no update
  • CDMA phone support: Settings app changes in review, dialer app changes need more detail before eng. work.
  • BT feature support: working on inline paring spec discussion and BT Certification issues

Read more about our on-going work here.

GFX (milan)

  • Dealing with B2G regressions. Lifetime problems have been exposed by large changes over the past four months, but are only surfacing recently, and there are no easy fixes, including back outs at this point.
  • Australis performance - no capacity to take this on, outside of a general "Windows performance", so we need to all coordinate to make sure the right things are being looked at.

Identity (jedp)

<Read Only>

  • Identity sign-in in FirefoxOS FTE
    • Targeting FirefoxOS 1.3
    • jgruen + skinny in SF next week to work with FxOS UX team
    • pdol connecting jedp + zaach with TEF engineers
  • WebRTC + Persona bug 878941
  • Persona in Desktop Firefox
    • ozten leading
  • FirefoxOS Identity - squashing bugs

JS (naveed)

<Read Only>

  • Last Week
    • Compiler (JIT)
    • Garbage Collection
      • Have rooting static analysis running on build slave ("tbpl static analysis") via buildbot
      • bug 906940: Exact Rooting API
    • Front End and Other
  • Blockers
    • None

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

Media (mreavy)

<Read Only>

  • Daala - coding party in MV Sept 30th to Oct 3rd -- if interested, contact Maire (mreavy@mozilla.com)
  • WebRTC
    • Recently landed latency/drift reduction for WebRTC calls (bug 884365)
    • About to land update to webrtc.org import (to version 3.34, used in Chrome 29)
    • Starting to land Mozilla Telemetry and WebRTC stats API
    • More audio latency and AEC improvements coming, and audio quality tracking
    • Working on CPU overload detection and adaptation
  • Media Source Extensions is progressing but there is still much to do.

Necko (dougt/jduell)

<Read Only>

  • debugging race conditions with delivering OnDataAvailable to ImageLib.
  • new HTTP cache:
    • figuring out how to handle hitting corrupt entries mid-way through reading
    • Eviction up next
  • 1st patches for predictive logic ("seer") are up for review

Performance (vladan)

No update

Seceng (mmc)

No update.

WebAPI (overholt)

No update

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

CritSmash (dbolter)

MemShrink (njn)

  • Justin Lebar is leaving Mozilla.
    • Looking back, nobody has contributed more to MemShrink over the past two years.
    • Looking forward, Justin has been in charge of MemShrink on B2G (e.g. see the etherpad he was maintaining) and knows more about B2G memory consumption than anyone else. With plenty of memory-related problems remaining on B2G, this is a hole that desperately needs filling.
    • We have transition plans: khuey is going take over.

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week's OrangeFactor: 5.34 (Previous Week: 6.99).
  • bug 686828 and "code -20" failures are top remaining issues on Fx24.
    • Bug 686828 needs an owner (see above).
    • smichaud has a libevent patch in bug 884471 that works around code -20 failures. Landed on inbound today hoping for eventual uplift to Aurora/Beta.
  • *32* intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • cross-team workweek was last week: still digesting action items and such, but:
    • Kicking off a "stability support" project to auto-fix stability issues if possible and help users recover if not.
    • Status of "the AMD crasher": David Major has been thrown into the lion's den, and can reproduce this intermittently on a QA computer, but no definitive answers yet.
    • bsmedberg is working on doing better crash and hang collection from B2G builds
    • If you haven't seen the crash-stats API, check it out, see the brownbag video, or ask questions on tools.socorro.
    • gps is working on improving the quality of the crash data sent to FHR
  • gfritzsche is finishing up a patch in bug 853864 which will log and profile IPC messages, and is then going to work on making Java out-of-process again.
  • The AMD crasher hit FF 23 without any forewarning, so the current system of building two release candidates is being abandoned. We are seriously looking into sending the release candidate to the beta population (need to figure out some MAR signing details and test).

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

e10s Update (billm/dvander)

<Read only beyond this point>

Friends of the Tree

There were lots of great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work!

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From Today's Meeting

[1:59pm] lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2013-08-27
[1:59pm] jdm: is the platform on air mozilla? it doesn't show up in the upcoming list
[1:59pm] Waldo joined the chat room.
[1:59pm] milan_ joined the chat room.
[1:59pm] joduinn-commute is now known as joduinn-mtg.
[2:00pm] overholt: jdm, it will be in a minute
[2:00pm] jdm: ok
[2:00pm] Waldo: huh, dvander and billm, wonder what the occasion is
[2:00pm] curtisk|afk is now known as curtisk.
[2:00pm] jjensen joined the chat room.
[2:00pm] milan left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:00pm] lmandel: Waldo: See the bottom of the agenda
[2:00pm] milan_ left the chat room. (Connection reset by peer)
[2:00pm] milan joined the chat room.
[2:01pm] bmoss left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:01pm] Waldo: ah
[2:01pm] • Waldo is enlightened
[2:01pm] • abillings bows before Waldo
[2:01pm] Waldo: hmm?
[2:01pm] Lucas left the chat room. (Quit: Lucas)
[2:02pm] dhylands joined the chat room.
[2:02pm] mcote joined the chat room.
[2:02pm] bmoss joined the chat room.
[2:02pm] lmandel: jdm: air mozilla event is up
[2:03pm] RyanVM|Sheriff joined the chat room.
[2:03pm] jdm: thanks
[2:03pm] Waldo: meow
[2:03pm] KaiRo: bsmedberg: are you going to voice the stability update, or should I, or do you want it as read-only?
[2:03pm] bsmedberg: I'll do it
[2:03pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: w00t, not the last to arrive
[2:03pm] Waldo: heh
[2:04pm] KaiRo: lmandel: ok, so we have a voice update from stability and bsmedberg is doing it
[2:04pm] lmandel: KaiRo: thanks
[2:04pm] jdm: shame that air mozilla is showing a placeholder 
[2:04pm] lmandel: jdm: We're holding
[2:04pm] Waldo: we need better elevator music
[2:04pm] jdm: ah
[2:05pm] jedp is now known as jedp|mtg.
[2:05pm] benfrancis joined the chat room.
[2:06pm] johnath: jduell: bug 898156
[2:06pm] firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=898156 cri, --, ---, nobody, NEW, crash in Background thumbnail generation @ mozilla::net::FTPChannelParent::OnStartRequest
[2:07pm] Lucas joined the chat room.
[2:08pm] breck left the chat room. (Client exited)
[2:09pm] johnath: gavin: would it be worthwhile to generalize bug 506975 to apply to all idle-timer stuff?
[2:09pm] firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=506975 enh, --, ---, nobody, NEW, [Session Restore] Write sessionstore.js less often when on battery
[2:09pm] laura: lmandel: sorry, nothing to call out though
[2:09pm] lmandel: laura: thanks. glad you got your power issues worked out.
[2:10pm] gavin: johnath: perhaps!
[2:11pm] Lucas left the chat room. (Quit: Lucas)
[2:11pm] gavin: probably depends a lot on the specific uses
[2:11pm] gavin: idle-timer stuff tends to not be that frequent
[2:11pm] johnath: gavin: made me think about bug 900039 and maybe adjusting the "background tab timer throttling" when on battery
[2:11pm] firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=900039 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, Background tab activity causing unnecessary favicon/title repaints
[2:11pm] lmandel: RyanVM|Sheriff: any audibles
[2:11pm] lmandel: ?
[2:11pm] kbrosnan: note there is bug 909041 for FxA but I don't think we want it unless there is a way to check for low battery
[2:11pm] firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=909041 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, Write to SessionStore less while on battery
[2:12pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: lmandel: nope, got the r+ I was fishing for 
[2:13pm] Lucas joined the chat room.
[2:13pm] catlee: huzzah!
[2:13pm] Waldo: repro is good
[2:13pm] lmandel: Any questions? Round table items?
[2:13pm] Waldo: if you're in MV, he sits near the JS pit, roughly
[2:13pm] gavin: johnath: ah, yeah, that's a good idea. want to file it? 
[2:13pm] johnath: gavin: will do
[2:14pm] KaiRo: we should get that video edited
[2:14pm] Waldo: <cue jeopardy music>
[2:15pm] Preeti joined the chat room.
[2:15pm] benfrancis2 joined the chat room.
[2:15pm] Waldo: woo e10s
[2:15pm] kbrosnan: Fennec had it first 
[2:15pm] Waldo: heh
[2:18pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: bajaj: just landed the hopeful "code -20" fix on inbound - should give us some bake time 
[2:19pm] bajaj: RyanVM|Sheriff: cool, feel free to ping when ready for uplift
[2:19pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: \o/
[2:19pm] jesup: Have you tried it with WebRTC (or thought about it)?
[2:19pm] bajaj: RyanVM|Sheriff: Its needed on aurora as well, right ?
[2:19pm] RyanVM|Sheriff: yes
[2:20pm] johnath: gavin: bug 909864
[2:20pm] firebot: Bug https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=909864 nor, --, ---, nobody, NEW, Throttle background timers more when on battery
[2:21pm] evilpie: maybe we should make a youtube video
[2:21pm] kohei-galaxy joined the chat room.
[2:22pm] KaiRo: e10s is heavily wanted for security, but resonsiveness/performance and even stability should profit heavily (crashing a page will not crash the browser, running OOM on a page will probably not take down the whole process)