From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« previous week | index | next week »

QA Staff Meeting Notes Jul-18-2012

Meeting Details

 # Every Weds @ 1:30p Pacific Time - Mozilla HQ, Warp Core 
 # Vidyo:
 # Phone:  +1 650 903 0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)
 #         +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US Toll Free)
 #         +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312 (Canada)
 # IRC:    irc://

QA Org Items

  • New Hires & Interviews
    • QA intern for Taiwan team, starting July 7/30
    • hi Satdav!
  • Upcoming Events/Conferences
    • Blackhat, July 21-26
    • Defcon, July 26-29
    • FISL, July 25-28 (includes MDN hack day)
    • Recife Campus Party (with Telefonica), July 29

Travel / PTO

  • kbrosnan July 24th - 29th DefCon/BlackHat
  • ashughes: July 24-30 (Blackhat/Defcon) -- see Juan for Desktop Firefox concerns
  • jhammink: July 23-24 (before FISL); possibly also July 31- August 1 (after Recife Campus Party)

QA Team Updates

Desktop (Juan)

  • Firefox
    • Firefox 15.0b1 candidates available for testing -- planning to ship on Thursday
    • Firefox 17.0a1 is now on Nightly -- de-support OSX 10.5, built with Clang on OSX
  • ESR (ashughes)
    • Firefox 10.0.6esr released on Tuesday -- now tracking security fixes for 10.0.7esr
  • Stability (marcia)
    • Notes from Platform Meeting
    • bsmedberg just sent email indicating we may be under reporting the actual number of flash crashes due to a bug in Firefox (which is fixed in 15)
    • We now have a mailing list
  • Automation (ashughes)
    • All mozmill-tests branches have been merged -- default:17, aurora:16, beta:15, release:14
  • Sync Client (Tracy)
    • Two client trains ran last week
    • Working on a community action plan specifically around Sync
  • App WebRT (Jason/Aaron)
    • What happened this week?
      • Desktop WebRT is on-track for FF 16, one outstanding blocker bug
        • QA support to close out and signoff on this feature soon
      • Android WebRT is at risk, some blockers still remaining
        • QA support as needed for bug verifications and exploratory testing
    • What's next?
  • Community
    • item

Mobile (Tony)

  • Issues
  • Fennec (Kevin/Aaron)
    • 14.0.1 released earlier this week
    • Working on 15b1
    • Stability (nhirata)
  • B2G (Geo/jhammink)
    • (jhammink) - we now have a sanity test log against daily builds: ( Michael Treese is in the loop
    • (jhammink) - still writing out testcases for gaia system area, although first pass testcases in place for all gaia apps; I need help with this if it is to land in time.
    • (jhammink) - writing up training docs for GB - ICS upgrade, kernel and build flashing
    • (jhammink) - in Brazil (Visa approved!) for FISL and Recife Campus Party Demos, also fieldtesting. July 21-August 2.
    • (mbrandt) - we need an owner to complete the Tuesday daily sanity tests & the exploratory smoke tests
    • (nhirata) - email at risk for 7/20 deadline : known to PM
    • (nhirata) - browser hopefully done on 7/23.
    • Wrote WebAPI subteam onboarding instructions, moving into wiki this week
    • WebAPI in progress: Alarm API, Vibration API, Device Storage API. On deck: Geolocation and WebActivities.
  • Pancake (nhirata)
    • release to get community members involved : Jul 24
    • Not spending much (if at all) time on this as b2g and mobile is taking higher priority
  • Community Members Onboarding
    • item

Services (jbonacci)

  • Sync Server (jbonacci/jrgm): Sync Server
    • Working on TokenServer fixes in Dev and Stage that need to go to Production
      • Most of this work is AITC/Basecamp related
    • Continuing work on Sync 1.1, Sync 2.0, AITC 1.2 time-permitting
    • Sync 1.1 deployment to Production needs to be scheduled
    • Sync 1.1 + MetLog deployment to Production is planned
  • BrowserID (jbonacci/jrgm): BrowserID
    • Train 31: 07-06-2012 has be DERAILED
      • Bug 771759 - QA and deploy BrowserID train-2012.07.06 to production.
    • Work does continue on this train for new features and for issue verification.
    • Focus will switch to Dev environment Thu/Fri.
    • Test Case development is in progress, thanks to Catalin from SV.
  • Community Members Onboarding
    • Nothing new to report this week.
  • Hiring and Training
    • Nothing new to report this week.

Web (Stephen)

  • Affiliates
  • AMO
  • BrowserID
    • Working on test stability across the (many) branches
  • Engagement Projects
    • Social Sharing Widget likely to go live at the end of the month
    • ReMo .3 to be released next week
    • Olympics project to be released next week
  • Flightdeck
    • Maintenance mode
  • Input
    • Per a meeting this morning with multiple stakeholders, it was decided that James Socol's team will rewrite the app
    • pushed updates to website for Firefox 14 launch
  • Mozillians
    • Working on TaskBoard requirements
  • MDN
    • working on Kuma lauch
  • Socorro
  • SUMO
    • Continuous Deployment; smooth sailing
  • Community Members Onboarding
    • Vuyisil (terrameijar in IRC) has been running Marketplace tests

Community (Marcia)

  • Video Work
    • No Update this week
  • Community Members Onboarding
    • item

Automation Development (Henrik, Dave)


  • Released Mozmill 1.5.14 which fixes the Flash freeze issue with Firefox
  • Got first testcases from Anthony - we will start with MozTrap Smoketests
MozTrap (Cameron)
  • Testing going well. Perhaps a few more days before calling to upgrade prod to 1.1
Community Members Onboarding
  • item

Basecamp Roundtable/Discussion Items

Other Roundtable/Discussion Items

  • Testing Flash Crashes and what you can do to help!
    • Participate in Friday's Flash Test Day
    • URLs are in the bugs where we actually have them
    • See QMO Post
    • International Folks: Run international video/game sites that we cannot run in the US.
  • Report from Taskboard meeting [mbrandt]
  • Report from QMO Brainstorming meeting [retornam]
  • Contribute mailing list strategy [jsmith]
    • First inquiry - Auto-responder only
    • Response to auto-responder - team representative responds
  • MozCamp EU Sessions
    • Proposed Talks so far
      • Kate advises the focus will be on less keynotes and more interactive hacking sessions
      • Jason and Aaron have a proposed talk in there for mobile web compatibility
    • Do we want to do a B2G Testing Session? If so, what might it look like? We should have some more answers after the meeting on Friday noted below.
    • B2G Community involvement in Testing [marcia]
    • Meeting scheduled for Friday at 1:00 PM with several constituencies. Following that meeting we hope to have some clarity around what testing sessions we can do at MozCamp for B2G as well as community involvement going forward.
    • Hosting a triage session to get more people focused on Bugmaster-like work? We nominated several triagers to go to the event.
    • MozCamp focuses on core contributors, but we need some new contributors as well - what kind of session could we have on Friday to bring in new contributors from the local area (these individuals will not necessarily attend the rest of MozCamp - similar to the MDN Hack Day in Argentina]
  • Paid Staff and Contributors - Thought Process
  • QA ownership of components and community connection
  • Feature ownership - community connection
  • Contributor roadmap

Notes, Takeaways and Action Items


  • Notes
    • If you have a session for MozCamp EU 2012 please propose it
      • I would think a b2g talk about how to test the b2g desktop build would be far more useful for that audience. that's my two cents [ctalbert]
    • Mindset of not thinking of community and employees as separate entities
      • Try to use dev-quality more instead of qa-staff
      • Iterate toward finding a public place where we want to talk
    • QA contact field
      • QA owner responsible for ensuring that it is tested
    • Take back ownership of QA components
    • We have made some good progress since January
  • Action Items
    • marcia to send out list of top flash crash bugs
    • marcia to send mail to bsmedberg clarifying real hardware vs VM
    • marcia to send mail to flash-rrrt to find out if it is useful to mass email users who are hitting flash crashes
    • mbrandt to lead meeting regarding team disussion. geo and mbrandt to put together a queue

Last Meeting

  • Action Items