Reps/SOPs/Developer Engagement Events
This is a Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) of Mozilla Reps program, guiding MozReps on how to attend, participate in and/or organize a Developer/Tech/Business events sponsored by Events team and which may require Council budget approval.
There are dozens of interesting developer events every day, all over the world. Of course, Mozilla tries to attend as many as it can within its limited budget.
The Mozilla Events team is always keen to sponsor Mozilla Reps who would be interested in representing Mozilla at events it considers important for Mozilla to attend.
STEP 1: Being contacted by Mozilla's Events team
- Events team identifies an opportunity in a country, where they would like Mozilla Reps' Support.
- Sandra Persing (or someone) from the Events team will reach you out to you through your Mozilla Reps Email.
- Information about expenses, and if you need to file a bug, will be shared at this time.
- Once you have confirmed your participation at the event, follow the next steps.
STEP 2: Create your Event page
- Login to ReMo and go to the Events page.
- Click on top right "Create event"
- Fill out all information to the best of your knowledge :)
- Press top right "Save event"
- You are done! Now go check out Events page. It will have your event listed alongside the other awesome ReMo events!
STEP 3: Request Budget
- If your travel + accommodation expenses are not covered by sponsorship, you will need to file a bug for the Reps Council Approval
Use the appropriate form to request budget if you have access or ask a Resource Rep to do it for you.
Announce your participation
In this step you should make sure that you announce your planning, and future participation on the event through all our communication channels : IRC meetings, mailing list and also consider writing a blog post. This will let your fellow MozReps know that you are planning to attend on the event and they will help you in all possible ways
Final Week check list
Make sure that 3-4 days before the event you have an updated wiki page , stating each participants responsibilities and checking you are all set for the "items to bring". Remember to update your wiki page with all the latest info even during the event. It is your planning hub! If you are having guest Mozillians arriving on your event, make sure you have all the travel info and facilitate them on all their needs. You will be a traveling Mozillian someday, so be excellent to each other :)
During the event
It's show time! As the event owner you are solely responsible for the Mozilla presence on the event, so please make sure everything run as planned and you activities run smoothly. Also check the SOP on how to set up a booth and tips on giving a Mozilla talk. As always have a lot of fun, with your fellow Mozilla Reps and Mozillians in general, and show the world what a Mozillian stands for!
You are exhausted. The event was tons of fun and Mozilla rocked the place. We are sure about that! But your fellow MozReps eagerly await to learn more about your presence there. When things calm down, make sure you write a blogpost about the event and Mozilla participation, and include some photos! Announce your post on our mailing list so everyone knows how you rocked! Encourage the other participants to do the same. Finally make sure the event's page is updated (and links to your posts).
Problem? Sometimes things do not work out as planned. It's normal and there's really no need to be frustrated :) If you stumble upon any problem, mishap or you need general assistance or guidance, make sure you contact you mentor or your regional coordinator. They will be more than happy to help you! (thats why they are there!)