HTML 5 Dataset Attribute 2011.06.28
- Implement HTML5 dataset attribute bug 560112
- Spec: http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/elements.html#dom-dataset
- Extended Information
- "Assertion failure: JSID_IS_STRING(id)" with dataset bug 658746 (Contains tests of error cases).
- a way to access HTML elements on forms
- short cut for get/set on an attribute
<element id="elem" data-big-fish="tuna"> k = document.getElementById("elem") k.dataset.bigFish; k.dataset.bigFish = 'goldfish'; <element id="elem" data-big-fish="goldfish"> nsDOMStringMap::AttrToDataProp nsDOMStringMap::DataPropToAttr
- Goal of Feature, what is trying to be achieved (problem solved, use cases, etc)
- proper way to embed data into html and easy JS interface to get at it.
- What solutions/approaches were considered other than the proposed solution?
- Why was this solution chosen?
- this is a subset of the HTML5 spec
- Any security threats already considered in the design and why?
- Uppercasing / lowercasing of high-expansion-factor characters such as ß --> SS or U+023A
- Per spec, case convsersion is only done for a-z <--> A-Z
- and attributes with A-Z are ignored
- Low-level string manipulation: nsDOMStringMap::DataPropToAttr and nsDOMStringMap::AttrToDataProp
- "const PRUnichar* next = cur + 1;", "next < end" scares me a little (integer overflow)
- Why is the member variable a raw pointer? (nsIDOMDOMStringMap* mDataset; // [Weak])
- Conflicts between "data-" attributes and special property names: __proto__, etc
- Should be the same as setProperty?
Conclusions / Action Items
- [dchan] Implementation review
- [wchen] additional tests for __proto__ as property name for dataset object.
- e.g. data-__proto__ -> dataset.__proto__ ? Would that shadow the prototype, or be hidden by it?