Welcome to the developer home of Firefox Sync. For end-user (non-technical) information, please see the official Sync web site.
Firefox Sync is a set of software components and specifications that synchronize data between multiple Mozilla product instances. The software is open source and the specifications are all public. This means that others are free to implement components or run the software on their own.
Products and Services
The Sync family consists of the following products and services:
- Firefox Sync
- Client integrated in the Firefox and Firefox Mobile (Fennec) browsers
- Server component used for cross-client communication
- Firefox Home
- An iOS application (iPhone, iPad) that allows you to view Sync data from these devices
- Server Instance
- A Sync server operated by Mozilla available for use by anybody in the world, free of charge. This is where Firefox sends data by default, unless you specify a different server.
The Specifications of Sync cover:
- HTTP API
- Implemented by the Sync Server. Used by clients to exchange data
- Cryptography Model
- How encryption is used to securely store data in the Sync Server (the Sync Server can't even read important data)
- Data Storage Formats
- How existing clients (like Firefox) format synchronized data
- Client APIs
Product Status and Future
The Services team publicly maintains various roadmaps for product direction. Details on new features and fixes coming to all things Sync are available there.
Monthly Sync Check In Meeting
Monthly meeting to review the current sequence and inbox. Everyone welcome who wants something new in Sync.
- Time: 3rd Wednesday of the month at 2:00PM PDT
- Place: Mozilla HQ, North Bridge (4th Floor)
- Phone (US/Intl): 650 903 0800 x92 Conf: 8616#
- Phone (Toronto): 416 848 3114 x92 Conf: 8616#
- Phone (US): 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf: 8616#
See Services/Sync/Meetings for notes from old meetings.
Shout out in the #sync channel on Mozilla's IRC server (irc.mozilla.org).
Most team members are geographically located in North America. If you don't hear a response, try asking again in a few hours.
See services-dev for email contact info.
Sync bugs should be reported in the Mozilla Services Component of Bugzilla.
Source Code and Development
Source code for all products and services is available and open source. Public contributions and feedback for product direction is encouraged and very welcome.
General development information is available at Getting Started. Production-specific information can be found at the linked product page from the list of products above. There is also a trove of documentation at http://docs.services.mozilla.com/.
If you are coming from Xmarks, see our Xmarks quick reference.