Services/Sync/EOL Sync Add On Phase 2
|EOL Sync Add On Phase 2|
|Status note||Initial Plan|
|Product manager||Jennifer Arguello|
|Directly Responsible Individual||Jennifer Arguello|
|Lead engineer||Philipp von Weitershausen|
|QA lead||Tracy Walker|
|Product marketing lead||`|
|Additional members||Ibai Garcia|
- Users will stop using Sync because they think the service has been disabled.
Stage 1: Definition
1. Feature overview
Firefox Sync has been integrated into the client since version 4 and the Firefox Sync Add-on will not longer be maintained. This is a plan to end of life the use of the Firefox Sync Add-on. Once FF 3.6.* is EOL, the Firefox Sync Add-on shall also be fully EOL'ed.
Phase 1, was a plan to migrate users as much as possible in a graceful manner. Phase 2 is to shut off the Add-on by wiping it from existence on the AMO site and from web search queries.
The benefit of moving users to the current version of Sync is that it is a supported version of the service, which is continuously being worked on.
2. Users & use cases
- A lingering 3.6.* Sync Add-on user goes to the add-on page link.
- The user does not find the page.
- A user does a search for Firefox Sync
- Search results do not contain AMO links
- A user does a search on the AMO page for Firefox Sync
- Search results are empty
- FF 3.6.* must be EOL'ed is a blocker to this plan
- Blog communicating that Sync Add-on has been EOL'ed. Owner: Jen. Status: Not Started
- SUMO support is alerted of Phase 2 schedule. Owner: Jen. Status: Not Started
- Product Planning and PMM are alerted of Phase 2 EOL schedule. Owner: Jen. Status: Not Started
- Add Sync information to the homepage of FF4+ after install. Owner: Web Dev (PMM?). Status: Not started
- PMM keeps touting Sync as part of the next few releases. (With rapid release, we are finding that some users do not notice when new features come online and so we should keep promoting them with subsequent releases). Owner: PMM. Status: Not started
- (More of a task than requirement) Disable the Firefox Sync Add-on AMO page
Stage 2: Design
5. Functional specification
6. User experience design
Stage 3: Planning
7. Implementation plan
Quality Assurance review
Stage 4: Development
Stage 5: Release
10. Landing criteria
Use of Sync Add-on users has gone down enough (Jen to define enough).
|Theme / Goal||`|
Team status notes
|Quality assurance||pass||I did mention to ally that the AddonFox addon has Sync in it's list. Not a big deal. That addon probably just skips any it can't find.|