- P1 = Must be implemented before launch
- P2 = Should be implemented before launch, or top priority after launch
- P3 = Significant benefit for users/contributors, but not needed for launch
- P4 = Nice to have, but not a significant benefit
Individual Question View
P1 Needs to have for launch:
- Rich text replies (WikiMedia markup)
- Replies shown chronologically.
- The whole forum needs to be easily expandable for many languages in the future (localizable strings, tracking (and storing) the language of posts)
- Metrics we need to store per user account:
- Real name (Display name)
- E-mail address
- Email notification system (see separate section in this PRD) so you can be notified whenever there's activity in threads you're in or threads you've me-too'd (with different, localizeable text templates for all types of responses)
- Simple post form: not a guided form.
- James: It's simpler and more performant to have this on its own page, instead of inline as it is now.
- The compose box should have ability to add links, formatting, lists etc to solutions and if it needs markup to have a toolbar for it.
- Use the same markup language as the future wiki for consistency
- Auto-linkification of URLs in all posts
- Ability to edit and delete your own posts.
- Moderator controls -- delete (move to a Spam forum?), edit other people's posts as well as editing thread titles and details
- Some way to report a post as needing moderation
- Moderators should be able to search for (or list) reported posts. (Ideally, their forum "dashboard" would have a section for posts in need of moderation, but this is not a requirement for launch).
- HTTPS support for views that require logging in as well as form submission
- We should be able to have multiple discussion forums on the same DB instance (to handle things like mobile-only forums etc).
- We should be able to set different permissions/moderator groups for different forums. (So we can have the moderators for the mobile/German forum be different from the moderators for the main Contributor forum)
- You need to be registered to post. Some forums may require you to be in a certain user group to post.
P2: We should have these in the initial launch but they can slip to "top priorities after launch" if resources are limiting.
- Ability to upload (and view and moderate) attachments
- Rich text formatted notification emails
- Anchors on individual posts so they can be directly linked to
- Avatars for contributors (will help make the whole thing feel more personal and friendly)
- Thread statuses like LOCKED and STICKY
- Feeds per thread
P3: Future but important
- Track which threads you've seen before/since your last visit and indicate new stuff.
Thread List View -- Contributor perspective
- Shown to logged in contributors or people explicitly trying to help others.
- Listing of threads that show:
- First line (or few words) of the content (or a summary field)
- Date of last activity (and person who did this)
- Icons to indicate locked/sticky status
- Number of replies
- Ability to moderate threads from this view (delete, bulk move to different forum)
- Feeds per forum
- Sign up for email notifications per forum.
- Indicate if threads are new or have new activity since your last visit