- 09:00 PDT
- 11:00 CDT
- 12:00 EDT
- 16:00 UTC
- 18:00 CET
Phone call details:
- California: 650-903-0800 then extension 92
- Toronto: 416-848-3114 then extension 92
- Toll-free: 800-707-2533 then password 369
- Skype (free): +18007072533 then password 369
Then, enter the conference number: 9435#
- Guest video link
- You will need to download and install the Vidyo desktop software.
irc.mozilla.org: #sumo <== Click the link to use web-based chat
Design & Development work
- Bug 768210 tracks SUMOdev work on the IA.
- Will explained how the sumodev work is being done incrementally and the site won't just change all at once two months from now. A lot of changes will be back-end stuff and may not be visible to end users but may affect things like search or document editing.
- Visual design is mainly done. Bram is working on tweaking the hi-rez mockups to include small changes since the process started. He'll also use these to create designs for all the other types of pages we'll need (forums, etc.) over the next two weeks. Here are the latest mockups:
- Gave localizers info about article title and summary changes. Title changes are listed in this spreadsheet since they aren't part of the article history. Summary changes will be made ready to localize over the next week along with Firefox 15 updates.
- Firefox 15 updates are due to go to localizers next Tuesday.
- Firefox preference changes are source of edit churn and surprise. It seems they are not tracked anywhere and it's a problem for more than just us (UX, L10n). Alex Keybl and Axel Hecht may have a solution.
- A URL for the Firefox OS product page is needed ASAP. Sometime next week at the latest.
- We should create a "in-product" link for this.
- We should make sure that Firefox for Android uses the right type of link and that Firefox on Firefox OS also uses one.
- Michelle and Ricky should connect to get this done.
We are now using 100% Unified Search. Please let us know if you see anything out of the ordinary in search results.
- It looks like it will be very difficult (maybe impossible) to have all desktop and mobile updates for Firefox 15 done by next Tuesday. There are many updates and we lost a week to work on them (SUMO work week).
- Rosana to make two blog posts - one about mobile updates and one about titles & summaries.
- Questions that came up this week:
- Accessibility - the new site will be coded to be accessible. It should be better than the current site.
- The Marketplace will have a different AAQ and has been thought of as separate from the rest of SUMO. Firefox OS won't have an AAQ but it's fine to be integrated with everything else. What does this mean for the requirements of a "product" and what does that do to the usability of the site?
- Can this be solved by the product picker in the AAQ? It seems so but I think Ibai and Michelle know more about why that may not work. We'll have to follow up with them to make sure we do the right thing.
- Currently we have this group called "contributors" but it never worked the way it was intended. Thousands of people just wanting help join it even though we try to explain that they don't need to join. With the new design this may result in many people seeing this giant for contributors block on the font page which would not be a good thing. Can we get rid of this group? Can we make the for contributors stuff show only for other groups (forum helpers, kb editors, etc.)?
- Kadir notes that this won't be a big issue as the vast majority of users just visit once but this can be done.
- There is another project with the metrics team to create a community activity dashboard. To define level 0, there is an idea to implement a check box when registering to join a "contributors" group. We can do this and then later use it to determine when to show the "for contributors" stuff. Rosana will file this bug and we'll ask Bram for input.
- Localized iA - Once we have an implementation of the iA for English we need to implement a solution for the localized versions. There might be different options depending on the size of the locales.
- One thing to consider is what will an "old-style" home page look like given the new site design? The new design didn't take that into account.
Actions for next week
- Think about where the content for Hot Topics and News should come from.
- Michael to follow up with Ibai and Michelle about the Product/AAQ issue (from roundtable section) and try to fully understand the issue.
- Kadir and Matt to come up with an initial proposal for IA options for locales.