Personal tools

Thunderbird/StatusMeetings/2008-10-14

From MozillaWiki

Jump to: navigation, search

last meeting | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details

Agenda

Calls For Help

  • davida would appreciate assistance on the autoconfiguration branch. (The awesome create-a-new-account screen where you just enter your e-mail address and it figures out most/all of the details for you.) One particular area that could use assistance is handling certificates in the connection detection logic.

Action Items

New

  • davida needs to identify the major work items for thunderbird 3 and break them down by the beta/release they will be in.

Open

  • gozer pinged mrz about separate messaging crash-stats server, davida will escalate
  • dmose partially did another round of updates on reviewers, will try and finish up

Closed

  • gozer filed bug re getting alpha bits signed (bug 459400)

Shredder Alpha 3

  • Shredder Alpha 3
  • Standard8 is the release driver
  • wsmwk is the QA lead of Beta 1
  • Standard8 is going to push announcements to the newsgroups
  • post-mortem is planned for Thursday.
    • davida might have an issue attending; will try and either be quick about his conflicting previous meeting or perhaps the meeting will be moved.
    • Standard8 will post on m.d.a.t about it
  • The release is up on the website! Hooray!
  • Standard8 especially thanks gozer and Wayne (wsmwk); couldn't have done it without them.

Thunderbird 3 Beta 1

  • bienvenu is release driver
  • Proposed String freeze date: 2008-11-13
  • Code Freeze date: 2008-11-18
  • davida will identify the must-absolutely-have items for beta 1 (part of the new action item planning what must happen by when)

Thunderbird 3

  • Draft Thunderbird:Thunderbird3:DevRoadmap identifies major work items on the plate for Tb3 -- much of it needs scheduling, owning, breakdown.
    • folks interested in helping with front-end stuff, some simple, should ask in #maildev

QA Updates

(both wsmwk and nth10sd not on the call)

Roundtable

Status Updates

davida
  • Was in Quebec giving a talk at the CLLAP -- slides will go up today.
    • A conference on open source in the public sector.
    • A lot of people there were interested in/already use thunderbird. There were also a number of server software that interacts with thunderbird there.
  • Planning trip to France next week & Spain for MozCamp EU
    • Will meet with the French military thunderbird users (milimail), plus French journalists, plus French localizers
    • Anyone going to Barcelona, "we should start planning our talks". davida volunteered to give a bunch of talks, but "we should coordinate", so other people can take over talks they are interested in.
  • recruiting volunteers for various things
  • Because of the upcoming travel and a few days off in there, this week is the best time to talk to davida if you need his input or feedback on things in the next several weeks.
  • davida is very happy about the calendar/lightning progress on trunk.
dmose
  • lots of Gloda review work
  • impromptu addressbook directional meeting
  • booked FSOSS trip & prepared for talk
  • driving work
  • discussion about gloda-as-ext-vs-module
  • gloda & calendar testing & bug reporting
  • various personal organization/project work
  • Thunderbird reviewer update work
nth10sd
  • 17 locales of Alpha 3 build 3 spot checked.
  • UNCO now below 2,200.
jcranmer
  • kill-rdf work, especially bug 457333
  • Started work on a JS version of nsMsgDBFolder ([1])
  • Released QAserver: [2]
    • Allows you to run the fakeserver from the console. This will allow QA to test specific failure cases, for example, having the QAserver imitate a known exchange server behaviour.
    • Standard8 notes that this will be useful for unit or bloat or other UI-level tests.
Standard8
  • Reviews & Driving
  • Wrote some pages to guide/aid future releases:
  • Created new page for MailNews:Automation With Gristmill and filed some bugs
  • Landed Growl integration patch bug 308552 and filed follow-up bugs.
  • Autocomplete
    • Dropped old xpfe based local autocomplete code.
    • LDAP transfer still to do, WIP patch for sorting out connections, but still quite a way to go on that.
  • Address Book
    • Fixed bug 459358 It is possible to attempt to create new cards/lists in read-only address books.
  • Misc
    • Did some debugging on IMAP fake server hangs bug 437193
    • Wrote some patches and test cases for bug 326809 Modernize nsIMsgHeaderParser - |string| and |wstring| vs AString and AUTF8String
asuth
  • initial calendar tab-unification with exptoolbar support landed bug 402365; dealt with some cleanup/fallout from that, one cleanup patch rotted, need to fix that.
  • extensive gloda refactoring/reimplementation in terms of:
    • attribute representation and storage throughout the system. Previously, attribute providers returned a list of attributes pre-chewed for the database. This made it hard/impossible for providers to override attributes provided by earlier providers. Additionally, a lot of potentially confusing and inefficient happened by the scenes to expose the attributes on the object. Attributes are now set directly on the object as their representation objects, allowing subsequent attribute providers to override their predecessors.
    • attribute loading. Previously, attributes were loaded on-demand in a synchronous fashion from the database. We now just store the attributes in a JSON BLOB on the message row. This avoids the need to issue additional queries to get information for the messages in a big way. The extra storage cost is somewhat (entirely?) offset by the elimination of two fully covering indices from the database.
    • attribute provider / indexing execution model. Additional abstraction has been added to let attribute providers and key indexing logic take advantage of the generator-based execution model. This allows their code to exist as a single function that uses "yield" whenever it has to involve a (potentially) asynchronous process, including other indexing logic.
    • database loading / synchronous db access avoidance. SQLite is great but we simply cannot have synchronous reads (that cannot fail) from the main thread given our use of the async thread. (At least with our use of the FTS3 full-text search functionality which precludes the use of a shared connection cache.) Accordingly, the collection logic is being updated to (efficiently) load all referenced objects from a main collection in sub-collections before returning the results of the main collection. For example, if you are loading a message, it will make sure that all the identities are loaded (and in turn, all of the contacts associated with the identities) before providing you with the message.
      • This is actually necessary for the attribute changes, too. Because the attributes are no longer magic, we can't load the identities/contacts on demand.
      • This also nicely ties up some loose ends in terms of caching. Namely, by associating the sub-collections of identities/contacts with the collection of messages, we are ensuring that all of those contacts/identities will be reliably available from the collection manager to ensure our desired invariant that a gloda object representation in memory exists only once in memory.
    • database query mechanism is being cleaned up/normalized; the constraints using dubious variants of the original 'universal APV' (attribute, parameter, value) tuple are being done away with for more straight-forward cases. The goal is also to support query performance optimization by creating temporary tables from pieces of queries that can be re-used. The idea is that as the user adds constraints we can perform the query, so that by the time they decide on the final constraint, the database has already done most of the work it needs to do. This probably won't be completed in this refactoring right now, for time reasons. But I'm planning for it.
    • message indexing is losing much of its special-casing where generic paths exist.
  • (note that all this gloda work is in progress, although I'm getting very close now)
  • have been ticking dmose's extensive review action items off the list; the major refactoring above should fix most of the major issues (and scary errors dmose sees)
bienvenu
  • Reviews and Driving
  • Gloda testing and landing strategy discussions
  • Cross-folder threading/grouping patch put up for review. I've also fixed some bugs with the patch and will put up a new patch once the initial review comments are in.
  • Continued work in de-rdf repo. Synced with trunk, and fixing the known issues one by one. I hope to start the review process by the end of the week though I will need help with SeaMonkey testing.
emre
gozer
  • Build
    • Thunderbird 3 Alpha 3: DONE
    • Sunbird comm-central buildbots: ALL GREEN
    • Lightning comm-central buildbots: ALL GREEN
    • Leak/Bloat builds
      • One OS X builder is successfully reporting numbers (in MozillaTest)
      • Still need to plug-in TB's special profile setup (right now, running a vanilla start/stop cycle)
      • Still need to bring up the other 2 platforms
    • Turns out we are most likely hit by (hg bug 1320)
      • we are trying a workaround for this issue bug 459396
  • L10N
    • Merged our changes back into l10n.mozilla.org
    • Figured out how to link into Simile (i.e. tb30 green locales)
    • Next steps is l10n builds for Lightning & Sunbird
  • Misc
    • Got my phone stolen, might get a new #
clarkbw
  • Out for the day, checking email
  • Booked trip for EU_MozCamp_2008
  • bugs I'm continuing to work on
  • thunderbird search
    • actively working on search results page
  • address book
    • pushed address book in tabs to the back of the queue bug 457270
    • worked on edit / view contact prototype (for post tb3)
    • need to work on listing display for AB and search results (for post tb3)
wsmwk
  • drove 3.0a3 QA, successfully completed
  • bug triage
    • focus on profile, shutdown, crash bugs
    • closed 80 TB, SM, FF bugs
  • drove bugday
beckley
penelope
KaiRo
  • bug 445141 build system cleanup: step 1 landed, more to do.
  • bug 459431 another batch of m-c -> c-c sync: created patch, up for review
  • bug 456373 build system target for source tarballs (can be used for any product): created patch, up for review
rkent
rebron
  • Continuing work with web site redesign. We're in the second round of creative review.
  • Good progress with SpreadThunderbird. Targeting a soft launch of the new marketing web site next Thursday. We're meeting every Thursday at 1pm PDT.
  • Continued work with market research and market segmentation.
mkmelin
  • menu item hookup and cleanup bugs
sipaq
  • the l10n dashboards (we have 2) disagree; both seem to be wrong in different aspects. So we shouldn't turn the non-MoCo one off until we get everything working.
  • has been watching localizers and providing feedback to them about mistakes/potential improvements
  • working on getting calendar into the community funding
    • davida says let him know if he can help on the funding
  • at MozEU, plans on giving an update to his localization talk from the summit

Attendees