As the first concrete-step towards agility, 3.1 will be a short-cycle release (~4 months) based on 1.9.2. The intents of this release are primarily:
- Update to a version of Gecko further from end-of-life than 1.9.1
- Provide a softer landing pad for Thunderbird 2 users so that we can do a prompted major update for them
Secondarily, we're also somewhat interested in:
- Land almost-finished work that got cut from 3.0
- Opportunistically take high-value changes that leverage the platform work we've done in Tb3
Note that the above specifically excludes taking large, disruptive changes during the 3.1 cycle.
Product & Driving
As per the above there is going to be very little product/feature driving in this release. Developers are encouraged to take this opportunity to land changes that respond to support issues, sand off rough edges, and land small bits of work that we had hoped to see in the 3.0 cycle, but didn't make it.
Note further that string and features freezes for this release are targeted at the end of beta 2. If anyone expects to land a feature with > 20 or so strings, please contact [sipaq & dmose] ASAP so that we can coordinate with localization teams sooner rather than later.
- String/code freeze date: 2010-01-12 (Tuesday)
- Branch Gecko, cut hackbranch, land async changes: 2010-01-13 (Wednesday)
- l10n-mozilla-1.9.2 freeze date: 2010-01-18 (Monday)
- Build/relbranch date: 2010-01-19 (Tuesday)
- Ship date: 2010-02-03 (Wednesday)
String/code freeze date: 2010-02-23 (Tuesday)
- l10n-mozilla-1.9.2 freeze date: 2010-03-01 (Monday)
- Build/relbranch date: 2010-03-02 (Tuesday)
- Ship date: 2010-03-09 (Tuesday)
String/code freeze date: Tuesday 20th April <-- 3.1 string/feature freeze!
- l10n-mozilla-1.9.2 freeze date: Thursday 29th April
- Switch to comm-1.9.2 branch: Friday 29th April
- Build/relbranch date: Friday 29th April
- Ship date: Wednesday 5th May. (may slip if we can't get compact headers and folder pane counts updated to work with 3.1 b2 in time)
- Code freeze date: Tuesday, May 18th 23:59 PDT
- l10n-mozilla-1.9.2 freeze date: Tuesday, May 18th 23:59 PDT
- Build/relbranch date: Wednesday, May 19th
- QA start date: Thursday, May 20th
- Ship date: Thursday, May 27th
- Code freeze & l10n completion: Monday, June 7th 23:59 PDT
- Build/relbranch date: Tuesday, June 8th
- QA start date: June 8th
- Ship date: June 9th
Thunderbird:Thunderbird 3.1 Final
- With luck, we feel good about relabeling 3.1RC2 as final and ship it around mid-June.