Welcome! First things first, you should meet the Ateam.
This will look like a lot, but the good news is that you don't need to understand or even use all this to be effective. So, "Don't Panic".
Just bookmark this page and refer back to it as needed. I've structured it like a task list, so when you see someone say something like "Flag that patch on the orange for review" you can come here and figure out what people are talking about (or just ask them).
The best way to get in touch with people, or to get a better idea of the projects is to talk to us over on the #ateam channel in IRC!
- We use irc.mozilla.org. We are in the #ateam channel
- There are many irc channels at Mozilla
- Never used IRC? Here's some getting started tips.
- Join our weekly (every Monday) status conference call.
- Be sure to say hello so we know you're there
- We track everything in bugzilla. We also do some work around bugzilla.
- Create yourself an account: http://bugzilla.mozilla.org
- Learn to use it: Bugzilla For Humans How-To video
- Use Quicksearch to search bugzilla
- Ask for a review of your work.
- What may I change in Bugzilla?
- The automated testing overview
- What is an "orange" test? It's a test that fails intermittently. They are called "oranges" because they turn our status reporting orange. View current list of "oranges".
E-Mail & Mailing Lists
- Watch our newsgroup mozilla.tools for things related to automation and tools at Mozilla.
- Watch m.d.quality for information on testing
- Watch m.d.Planning for project wide notices and meeting announcements
- Watch m.d.Platform for technical discussions regarding the Gecko Platform
- To keep abreast of the latest status on the entire project, Planet Mozilla is useful, but is a TON of data.
- To watch the automated messages coming out of the automation, see mozilla.dev.tree-management
- Watch m.d.a.Firefox for Firefox front end design, questions and status
MXR & Pastebin
- To look up source in Mozilla-Central (trunk): http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/
- To look up a specific file in our tree use this url for a base: http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/find?text=&string= and add the file name to it.
- Pro tip: make it into a bookmark keyword in Firefox. Then you can type "mxrf <filename>" in the URL bar.
- To "pastebin" something, paste it here and hand the link you're given after clicking "submit" to people on IRC.
Building & Build/Test Status Reporting
The Brief Guide to Coding
- Source for mozilla-central
- How to use Mercurial Queues
- Developing and using Python 101
- Add "ac_add_option --enable-tests" (no quotes) to your mozconfig to enable tests
- Get a MPL license block for a new file
- General Coding Style
- General Rule -- follow the style of the file you're editing, but no tabs. Ever.