From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Topic: previous meeting, next meeting

Next meeting: The next meeting will be on August 19, 2013

Topic: Raising Web community participation [Karl]

So far these have been the suggestion for participating

First attempt with the Spain community. Karl will give a brief update of the efforts and their success.

  • kdubost: I need your help to know what I should focus on.
  • lmandel: Focus on mozilla contribute efforts. They are very well engaged with FirefoxOS.

Topic: Mozilla Web Compatibility testing tool [Hallvord]

Hallvord made progress on the Web Compatibility Add-on. Hallvord will give a status on the feature of the tool. Should the source code be hosted on a public repository?

  • hallvord: I'm working on 3 tools at the same time.
    • something to detect the prefixes such as webkit. Reading the console is interesting but need to focus on what is really interesting for detecting issues. Mostly intended for us and volunteers who want to help analyze
    • Playing with an extension for the general public that would a feedback with questions to reply sometimes depending on the sites
    • URI stats check for Web compatibility check. (Hallvord showing the UI on the screen). The tools will compare the status of the bug and the real state of the Web site. We will be able to try to detect a lot of stuff.
  • Hallvord: Next step, I need that lawrence review my work on
  • lmandel : We might want to get an official hosting place. I don't want to be a bottleneck.
  • hallvord: If we had a little DB that would be a lot easier.
  • kdubost/lmandel: If you need hardware/software, ask it a request.
  • lmandel: If we have something that would need a better dataviz we can ask someone from creative department.
  • hallvord: Right now a bit too much manual work. DB backend will help a lot.
  • lmandel: I would encourage you to talk with Aaron Train. The previous version was dependent on CouchDB.

Topic: August 19 report about Web Compatibility [Lawrence]

We need to produce a 3 minutes report for the rest of the Mozilla Community. Karl will handle the heavy lifting about the progress on the work and Lawrence Mandel will introduce the topic to the rest of the community. The attempted agenda will be:

  1. quick refresh of the problem
  2. problem scope - depends on me getting the stats together before then
  3. recent success stories - all the work that you have been doing
  4. community involvement and standard letters
  5. Bugzilla form - if we can pull this off in time

If you have anything to add please chime in during the meeting.

  • brad lassey: do we have a tool to report broken sites in the nightly for Firefox Android.
  • jsmith: We do not have an addon system in Firefox OS, what could we do there?
  • lmandel: I would say that we could do a webapp
  • brad lassey: fill a bug for it.

Tracked Actions


  • TODO-20130715-01: kdubost have a panorama of tools used by Web developers for testing. Write a post about it.
  • TODO-20130729-01: kdubost To draft ideas around a tool for doing the Ébauche in Web Compatibility testing. Think about kind of YSlow report for Web Compat. Enter the URI, and get a simple report of potential issues. Could be useful for helping with bug reporting.
  • TODO-20130805-01: kdubost to prepare materials for August 14 on giving a Web compat update during the Monday project meeting (Aug 19) length: 3 minutes.
  • TODO-20130805-02: hallvord to test in bulk if Web sites are still working with a device information into the UA string Firefox OS. (Bug 901039)


  • TODO-20130730-03: kdubost to check Bug 679025 - presents null error on initial load [DONE 2013-08-06 Analyzed and contacted Google]
  • TODO-20130716-01: kdubost To create my optimum Bugzilla Dashboard and propose it to bugzilla. [DONE 2013-08-12 dropping this. low priority, no time for now]
  • TODO-20130729-02: kdubost To make a list of Web sites to contact and/or discover the contact information on Spanish-speaking Web sites already analyzed and send it to rep mailing-list. [DONE 2013-08-07]
  • TODO-20130729-03: kdubost to update the intranet page about Web site contacts. Though I had sent an email for asking for issues with privacy. [DONE 2013-08-12 dropping this because of the more general discussions around the addon tooling and contacts.]


  • TODO-20130806-01: kdubost to create a script to automatically compile stats from Tech Evangelism - Mobile. See email.
  • TODO-20130812-01 kdubost to analyze Web sites from Venezuela
  • TODO-20130812-02 kdubost to analyze Web sites from Columbia
  • TODO-20130812-03 jsmith to create a bug on making an app for firefox OS for reporting broken sites.
  • TODO-20130812-04 lmandel to update mobile site stats based on jjensen's scripts

Site Testing, Evangelism & Communication Status

This section will be updated a bit more automatically in the future.



  • All Spain Web sites analyzed
  • All(?) polish Web sites analyzed

New bugs

Gecko Specific Issues

  • Progress on dynamic UA override mechanism (Bug 897221)

Other Issues (tools, general, …)

  • Compatibility Vidyo room created
  • compatibility list archive should be fixed, need to find out about back processing
  • lmandel in Mountain View next week
  • FYI Responsive Design best practices infographic from