Meeting: Mobile Web Compatibility Weekly Agenda: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/webcompat Chair: Karl Scribe: Mike Regrets:
- 1 Topic: previous meeting, next meeting
- 2 Topic: Rotating scribes (karl)
- 3 Topic: Web Compatibility Issues in China (karl)
- 4 Topic: Web Compatibility Issues in Brazil (mike)
- 5 Topic: Additional Firefox OS launch locales (lmandel)
- 6 Topic: Survey Desktop Bugs (karl)
- 7 Topic: webcompat.com (mike)
- 8 Topic: Broken Voices of the Web
- 9 Topic: Things which have been discussed
- 10 Topic: Web Compatibility Progress
- 11 Tracked Actions
Topic: previous meeting, next meeting
Next meeting: The next meeting will be on November 4, 2013. Karl will be in Toronto!
Topic: Rotating scribes (karl)
Mike is scribing almost everytime. Should we rotate the scribe? With the number we are, it means a scribing once every 4 or 5 weeks.
- karl: Do we want to share the burden of scribing? Do we want to rotate.
- mike: I'm happy to keep doing it, if people can jump in while I'm talking.
- karl: Please chime in if you'd like a break.
Topic: Web Compatibility Issues in China (karl)
We started the discussion. We need to get a better understanding on how we can work together for solving the issues and not doing double work. We have a couple of bugs already in Bugzilla. 1. Chinese language bugs (Mainland, HK, Taiwan) 2. Mainland China list of 900 bugs. Where can we find it? (Wasn't that 900 sites, 300 serious bugs and 150 less serious ones?)
- karl: I don't know if you've seen the discussions on the MLs. It seems there's been some testing on Chinese websites, around 900 sites. Apparently 300 sites were really broken. The person who was on this project seems to have been moved. It would be good if we could access their list of broken sites and any notes they have. Perhaps to put in Bugzilla. I would for us to share a process and understanding around compat issues in China as well--so we don't double the work.
- brad: We're trying to coordinate better with Mozilla China. I'm thinking about going to Beijing to discuss topics like these in person.
- karl: I'm wondering if the bugs are just for mainland China or if they tested things for Taiwan or Hong Kong.
- brad: Given the locale that was shipped, I suspect it's not Taiwan.
Topic: Web Compatibility Issues in Brazil (mike)
We're having our first call tonight to discuss plans. Can we start publishing external vidyo URLs for this team meeting in the future (unsure if people are able to join due to work, but would be nice) and including in our Compat list announcments?.
- mike: We have leo and fabricio, and daniel. Last week, there was a big conference in Rio do Janeiro. I will discuss with them about the first step. Is video possible?
- lmandel: I added the room link to https://wiki.mozilla.org/Compatibility/Mobile#Communication
- mike: We will do to go through a list of top 100 Brazilian sites and help with them. I can maybe meet with them once a week in their TZ.
- lmandel: It makes sense to help them to get off, and then after a while they can be autonomous.
- karl: We should try to take notes and build on your experiences to be a possible guide for future locales/groups and put it on the wiki (learn from mistakes, things that were successful etc).
Topic: Additional Firefox OS launch locales (lmandel)
Launches in Brazil, Germany
- lmandel: updates about launches.
- mike: a bit of embarassment about one TV show in Brazil with Firefox OS, but people are mostly positive and excited.
- lmandel: We should look to upcoming market launches and think about organizing locale-based groups to help with compat work similar to what we're trying to do in Brazil and Greece.
Topic: Survey Desktop Bugs (karl)
To assess what's the story of Web compatibility bugs in Desktop, we should make a bit of stats. When created, lifetime, Are they closed? Illustrating also the recent efforts where we filter out the one mike, hallvord, karl closed.
- karl: Last week we had some discussion around Desktop compat bugs. There was a question regarding disable Java and bank sites and who would do the testing. The answer that came back was "this sounds like a job for compat." Maybe we should assess the health of the Desktop Tech Evangelism product/component in Bugzilla, is it useful today? Is this a purely volunteer driven effort for Desktop?
- lmandel: As general background, the assumption was that our compat team would be working on the Java blacklisting issues. But we're focused on mobile. We have nobody focused on desktop issues. We had a big compat effort 10+ years ago, that naturally died down due to market share changes. The landscape is different again today. Desktop is important, but we can't slow down our efforts on Mobile by diverting our own resources. I'd like to have a discussion to get resources to work specifically on Desktop. We need someone to be more proactive and deal with the fallout that we're seeing. Large sites. I think we need a Karl for desktop. We can potentially build out from there. I think it's interesting to look at the bugs that we have. Are there new ones coming in? Is it a huge stale backlog? Are there people closing out bugs that aren't Mike, Karl, and Hallvord.
- mike: I keep looking at them when I have 5 minutes free. It's fun to look at the really old bugs. I close the 25 old Italian bugs, only 1 was valid.
- lawrence: The Dev Engagement team technically owns the Tech Evangelism prodcuts. I've proposed that we collapse all the different components into Mobile, B2G, Desktop. Any suggestions for how to deal with that are welcome.
- brad: It might be useful to have a language keyword. We can also get a multiselect flag in there. That will allow us to have a custom flag (by language, etc.) which will be easier than searching by whiteboard tags.
Topic: webcompat.com (mike)
Following up on (lack of) progress here.
- mike: Trying to figure out hosting. It's difficult. I might give up and host it myself.
- hallvors: I used Paas thingy. It used a system called staccato. It works.
- mike: I'll pursue that.
- brad: There are two bugs. https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=930087 (site design) https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=930078 (get an icon)
- mike: I will keep pushing on that, hopefully we can get something up soon.
- lmandel: if you hit a wall, go through^W^W contact me.
- karl: That's it for today. If you look at the new bugs, don't be afraid. That's the awesome work by the Greek community. :) It's very nice to see this happening.
Topic: Broken Voices of the Web
- isMobileDevice and the death of innocence SPOILERS by mike
- Device in ID in UA Strings by karl
- Meta Refresh and HTTP by karl
Topic: Things which have been discussed
These are a list of topics, we need to explore further and take action items. It usually needs an owner and a set of actions. Putting them here for not forgetting about them. (this could become the start of a newsletter about the project by month)
- New UA override format and mozua.sh
- Chinese release of Firefox has been aliasing webkit css prefixes. We started a discussion to share our mutual knowledge about Web compatibility efforts and survey. A number which was put forward but it needs more data was 50% of mobile Chinese Web sites are broken in a fashion.
- Firefox OS and statcounter. It was not taken into account I have added them to their DB. For the future, there is a tool to add new User Agent
Topic: Web Compatibility Progress
FIXED (no DUPLICATE)
- m.photobucket.com image carousel does not work correctly in Gecko (Webkit CSS) 2013-10-22 FIXED
- Sign-up experience for Task Rabbit is bad in Fennec, requires back button to move between input fields 2013-10-23 WORKSFORME
- Medio Tiempo - Inferior site sent to fennec native with fixed width, not optimized site without fixed width 2013-10-23 WORKSFORME
- Zimbra login page doesn't preselect ""Mobile"" when called with Firefox OS 2013-10-21 FIXED
- icloud.com page unusable on Android 2013-10-23 WONTFIX
- bravestman.com 2013-10-24 WONTFIX
- Amante Pizza served desktop content over mobile - UA issue 2013-10-24 WORKSFORME
- Upon visiting stumbleupon.com, Chrome for Android gets an install my Android app advertisement, where as FF Android does not 2013-10-24 WORKSFORME
- reuters.com serves different ad layout to firefox for android vs. android stock browser 2013-10-24 WORKSFORME
- Scribd - Cannot view articles after selecting them on FF Android, works fine on Chrome for Android 2013-10-24 WORKSFORME
- 163.com image carousel doesn't scroll 2013-10-24 WORKSFORME
- google.ro - text overlaps on tablet version for Fennec UA 2013-10-24 WORKSFORME
- Pressly doesn't support Firefox on Tablets 2013-10-24 FIXED
- Grooveshark site does browser sniffing 2013-10-23 FIXED
- Instagram: ""following"" doesn't work, ""liking"" is weird 2013-10-24 WORKSFORME
- Facebook Photos rendered in news feed are being rendered in poor quality on a FF OS user agent, but in good quality on a Android user agent 2013-10-24 FIXED
- [Facebook - Facebook's menu does not currently stay open] 2013-10-22 WORKSFORME
- can't scroll to bottom of of page on sciencedirect.com articles 2013-10-23 WORKSFORME
Plenty of new bugs opened by Thanos Lefteris. Thanks!
- news247.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-10-28
- skai.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-10-28
- athensvoice.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-10-28
- capital.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS and Firefox for Android 2013-10-28
- vrisko.gr mobile site redirect is broken on Firefox for Android 2013-10-28
- real.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-10-28
- realmobile.gr doesn't render properly on Firefox for Android 2013-10-28
- pathfinder.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS and Firefox for Android 2013-10-28
- i.pathfinder.gr doesn't render properly on Firefox for Android 2013-10-28
- ricardo.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-10-28
- redplanet.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-10-28
- mobile.aegeanair.com viewport issue on Firefox for Android 2013-10-28
- aegeanair.com doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-10-28
- gavros.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-10-28
- sport24.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-10-28
- contra.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2013-10-28
- meta News247.gr js-utils script fails to recognize B2G UA as mobile 2013-10-28
(move the DONE action items below and add the string DONE and possibly link to the record)
- TODO-20130715-01: kdubost have a panorama of tools used by Web developers for testing. Write a post about it.
- TODO-20130805-02: hallvord to test in bulk if Web sites are still working with a device information into the UA string Firefox OS. (Bug 901039)
- TODO-20130806-01: kdubost to create a script to automatically compile stats from Tech Evangelism - Mobile. See email.
- TODO-20130819-01 kdubost to create a first workflow for Web Badges for the community with Carla Cassili
- TODO-20130819-03: lmandel to follow up with Gerv about posting UA device/model recommendations on MDN.
- TODO-20130826-01: kdubost to create an intro guide to be ready to participate to Web Compatibility effort.
- TODO-20130826-02: kdubost to create 101 on Web compatibility issues so Mozilla employes have handy materials to discuss with partners.
- TODO-20131021-01: hallvord to put together a list of, say, 100 sites where people view videos, and start testing them