From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search
Meeting: Mobile Web Compatibility Weekly
Chair: Mike Taylor
Scribe: Hallvord
Regrets: Karl (maybe)

Topic: previous meeting, next meeting

Next meeting: The next meeting will be on October 28, 2013.

Topic: MozCompatibility tools in one place (lmandel)

Lawrence said "start collecting the various tools that you're all putting together in one place." Karl has this for his own tools, but it might be good to create a versioned repo where we put everything. A wiki page might be nice.

Related question (maybe?), how do we request hosting for #it has suggested going through "Community IT", which is for community orgs.

Topic: Community involvement in Brazil (Mike)

Leo Balter has accepted (enthusiastically) the invitation to be a community webcompat ambassador for Brazil. Planning on having a video chat with him early this week to talk about first steps, goals, etc.

  • mike: They have been active in the community. I would like them to start with 200 sites if possible. I would like also to invite them on the call is it possible.
  • lmandel: Yes it is possible.
  • mike: There are two hours ahead of us.
  • lmandel: we should see if they want to join the meeting. The letter was very good and enthusiastic. This is the type of way I would like to position volunteer involvement. It is exactly what we could do, letting the volunteers lead the efforts. The blog post is insightful.

Topic: WPTouch

  • mike: I will try to get in touch with WPTouch again. It seems widely deployed and it might be a real issue. The blog post (below) should help.
  • karl: I have started contacted sites with it.

Topic: Broken Voices of the Web

Topic: Things which have been discussed

These are a list of topics, we need to explore further and take action items. It usually needs an owner and a set of actions. Putting them here for not forgetting about them. (this could become the start of a newsletter about the project by month)

  • (lmandel) Zimbra bug resolved
  • Mike drafted a nice letter for recruiting volunteers.
  • Mike opened a bug for the for a sticker & tshirt design <-- How can we get some attention for this from UX/designers people?

Topic: An official statement on Mozilla UA detection support (lmandel)

I would like to make an official statement about Mozilla's commitment to fixing issues due to UA detection. As we have previously discussed, my thought is to state that Mozilla will do our best effort to ensure that sites/frameworks recognize the two generic Firefox OS UAs (with and without a device id). This statement will also state explicitly that issues due to the specific choice of device id are the responsibility of the device manufacturer to resolve. Thoughts?

Topic: Listing supported UA dection frameworks (lmandel)

I would like to have a reference of UA detection frameworks that we know work with Firefox OS so that we can show this to the Firefox OS team and point sites to the list. What about putting a page together like the WebRTC page Idea is to show a number of mobile browsers and visually represent which are supported/recognized by UA detection libs/frameworks. Current list. Have a filter or checkboxes to allow you to drill down the information in more a reasonable way (as the list would be much larger).

Topic: Mozilla China's use of WebKit prefixes in their Android app distribution (lmandel)

Let's discuss this issue and what it means for Mozilla. (mike) Has anyone built this yet? Would be interesting to have an .apk for testing.

  • Related:
  • lmandel: It is suitable for people to release a product which is customized in terms of UI, but if it goes the way of customizing the Web platform. It will work against our effort of Web compatibility.
  • Tony: I think we should discuss with people developping in China to explain the larger issues of Web compatibility. They can be our eyes and hears in that part of the world. Everything is done by images, the more pictures. Typing links is not working.
  • Karl: I know Jack Guo in China. Do they have meetups?
  • Tony: Jack would be a good contact to start. Many things are forked adjusted to the local market in China. There are a lot of opportunities to reach out there.
  • lmandel: We should we could work with them more so we can customize the core so the modifications in China are less wild.

Topic: Video compat project (lmandel)

  • hallvord: was waiting for list of video sites
  • lmandel: list was apparently just planned, never compiled
  • hallvord: should be easy enough to do one. TODO for hallvord put together a list of, say, 100 sites where people view videos, and start testing them (hallvord)

Topic: Web Compatibility Progress



Tracked Actions


(move the DONE action items below and add the string DONE and possibly link to the record)

  • TODO-20130715-01: kdubost have a panorama of tools used by Web developers for testing. Write a post about it.
  • TODO-20130805-02: hallvord to test in bulk if Web sites are still working with a device information into the UA string Firefox OS. (Bug 901039)
  • TODO-20130806-01: kdubost to create a script to automatically compile stats from Tech Evangelism - Mobile. See email.
  • TODO-20130819-01 kdubost to create a first workflow for Web Badges for the community with Carla Cassili
  • TODO-20130819-03: lmandel to follow up with Gerv about posting UA device/model recommendations on MDN.
  • TODO-20130826-01: kdubost to create an intro guide to be ready to participate to Web Compatibility effort.
  • TODO-20130826-02: kdubost to create 101 on Web compatibility issues so Mozilla employes have handy materials to discuss with partners.
  • TODO-20131021-01: hallvord to put together a list of, say, 100 sites where people view videos, and start testing them


  • TODO-20131013-01: kdubost to post the contacts that we develop through our efforts.