Meeting: Mobile Web Compatibility Weekly Agenda: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/webcompat Chair: Mike Taylor Scribe: Hallvord Regrets: Karl (maybe)
- 1 Topic: previous meeting, next meeting
- 2 Topic: MozCompatibility tools in one place (lmandel)
- 3 Topic: Community involvement in Brazil (Mike)
- 4 Topic: WPTouch
- 5 Topic: Broken Voices of the Web
- 6 Topic: Things which have been discussed
- 7 Topic: An official statement on Mozilla UA detection support (lmandel)
- 8 Topic: Listing supported UA dection frameworks (lmandel)
- 9 Topic: Mozilla China's use of WebKit prefixes in their Android app distribution (lmandel)
- 10 Topic: Video compat project (lmandel)
- 11 Topic: Web Compatibility Progress
- 12 Tracked Actions
Topic: previous meeting, next meeting
Next meeting: The next meeting will be on October 28, 2013.
Topic: MozCompatibility tools in one place (lmandel)
Lawrence said "start collecting the various tools that you're all putting together in one place." Karl has this for his own tools, but it might be good to create a versioned repo where we put everything. A wiki page might be nice.
- DONE (hallvord): find a spot on the wiki and email the list. —
- Mike: https://github.com/miketaylr/commitgrep (working as one off tool, WIP for continual monitoring with email support)
Related question (maybe?), how do we request hosting for webcompat.com? #it has suggested going through "Community IT", which is for community orgs.
Topic: Community involvement in Brazil (Mike)
Leo Balter has accepted (enthusiastically) the invitation to be a community webcompat ambassador for Brazil. Planning on having a video chat with him early this week to talk about first steps, goals, etc.
- mike: They have been active in the community. I would like them to start with 200 sites if possible. I would like also to invite them on the call is it possible.
- lmandel: Yes it is possible.
- mike: There are two hours ahead of us.
- lmandel: we should see if they want to join the meeting. The letter was very good and enthusiastic. This is the type of way I would like to position volunteer involvement. It is exactly what we could do, letting the volunteers lead the efforts. The blog post is insightful.
- mike: I will try to get in touch with WPTouch again. It seems widely deployed and it might be a real issue. The blog post (below) should help.
- karl: I have started contacted sites with it.
Topic: Broken Voices of the Web
Topic: Things which have been discussed
These are a list of topics, we need to explore further and take action items. It usually needs an owner and a set of actions. Putting them here for not forgetting about them. (this could become the start of a newsletter about the project by month)
- (lmandel) Zimbra bug resolved
- Mike drafted a nice letter for recruiting volunteers.
- Mike opened a bug for the for a sticker & tshirt design <-- How can we get some attention for this from UX/designers people?
Topic: An official statement on Mozilla UA detection support (lmandel)
I would like to make an official statement about Mozilla's commitment to fixing issues due to UA detection. As we have previously discussed, my thought is to state that Mozilla will do our best effort to ensure that sites/frameworks recognize the two generic Firefox OS UAs (with and without a device id). This statement will also state explicitly that issues due to the specific choice of device id are the responsibility of the device manufacturer to resolve. Thoughts?
Topic: Listing supported UA dection frameworks (lmandel)
I would like to have a reference of UA detection frameworks that we know work with Firefox OS so that we can show this to the Firefox OS team and point sites to the list. What about putting a page together like the WebRTC page Idea is to show a number of mobile browsers and visually represent which are supported/recognized by UA detection libs/frameworks. Current list. Have a filter or checkboxes to allow you to drill down the information in more a reasonable way (as the list would be much larger).
Topic: Mozilla China's use of WebKit prefixes in their Android app distribution (lmandel)
Let's discuss this issue and what it means for Mozilla. (mike) Has anyone built this yet? Would be interesting to have an .apk for testing.
- Related: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=739832
- lmandel: It is suitable for people to release a product which is customized in terms of UI, but if it goes the way of customizing the Web platform. It will work against our effort of Web compatibility.
- Tony: I think we should discuss with people developping in China to explain the larger issues of Web compatibility. They can be our eyes and hears in that part of the world. Everything is done by images, the more pictures. Typing links is not working.
- Karl: I know Jack Guo in China. Do they have meetups?
- Tony: Jack would be a good contact to start. Many things are forked adjusted to the local market in China. There are a lot of opportunities to reach out there.
- lmandel: We should we could work with them more so we can customize the core so the modifications in China are less wild.
Topic: Video compat project (lmandel)
- hallvord: was waiting for list of video sites
- lmandel: list was apparently just planned, never compiled
- hallvord: should be easy enough to do one. TODO for hallvord put together a list of, say, 100 sites where people view videos, and start testing them (hallvord)
Topic: Web Compatibility Progress
FIXED (no DUPLICATE)
- The content on the actions menu bar is overlapped at stumbleupon.com (2013-10-15)
- Headers on Mobile Huffington Post render poorly (2013-10-15)
- Google+ (Plus) Modal Dialogs Show White Text for Font on OK button (2013-10-17)
- Can't interact with overstock.com (2013-10-17)
- No support for LastPass in latest beta FF 14 from 05/22 & perf stinks (2013-10-17)
- Add sane fallback entries for Firefox Mobile to WURFL DB (2013-10-17)
- netflix zoom in = header bar missing (2013-10-17)
- Capitalone - https://m.capitalone.com/#_frmFAQUnauthBank - text displayed outside the box (2013-10-17)
- soso.com image carousel doesn't function on Fennec (2013-10-17)
- Ars Technica displays the desktop site instead of mobile site when activated from everything.me (2013-10-17)
- carsensor.net does not work properly in mobile firefox (2013-10-17)
- Soso.com is serving an overlay in webkit that is transparent on the map (2013-10-17)
- The google image preview opened from image search results is very small (2013-10-17)
- Scribd advertisements do not render on FF Android, render okay on Chrome for Android (2013-10-17)
- Yahoo mobile site header is transparent (2013-10-18)
- groups.google.com (mobile) - ""Show quoted text"" links on threads do not expand the hidden text (2013-09-14)
- el-nacional.com doesn't recognize B2G UA as mobile (2013-10-18)
- peruenvideos.com doesn't display correctly in Gaia browser (2013-10-14)
- linkedin site fails to load - grey screen (2013-10-14)
- newsit.gr doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS and Firefox for Android (2013-10-13)
- Stumbleupon gives desktop toolbar to Fennec (2013-10-15)
- Selecting any menu option on Google Plus mobile site on FxAndroid does nothing (2013-10-17)
- google.com menu links to Android apps on Firefox OS (2013-10-18)
(move the DONE action items below and add the string DONE and possibly link to the record)
- TODO-20130715-01: kdubost have a panorama of tools used by Web developers for testing. Write a post about it.
- TODO-20130805-02: hallvord to test in bulk if Web sites are still working with a device information into the UA string Firefox OS. (Bug 901039)
- TODO-20130806-01: kdubost to create a script to automatically compile stats from Tech Evangelism - Mobile. See email.
- TODO-20130819-01 kdubost to create a first workflow for Web Badges for the community with Carla Cassili
- TODO-20130819-03: lmandel to follow up with Gerv about posting UA device/model recommendations on MDN.
- TODO-20130826-01: kdubost to create an intro guide to be ready to participate to Web Compatibility effort.
- TODO-20130826-02: kdubost to create 101 on Web compatibility issues so Mozilla employes have handy materials to discuss with partners.
- TODO-20131021-01: hallvord to put together a list of, say, 100 sites where people view videos, and start testing them
- TODO-20131013-01: kdubost to post the contacts that we develop through our efforts.