Connected Devices/Projects/Smart Kitchen
|06.08.16 (Initial Pitch)|
|No longer an approved project|
- 1 Project Status
- 2 Project overview
- 3 Lean Start Up Flow
- 4 Program Status
- 5 Sprint Demos
- 6 Communication
- 7 Project Management (Trello)
- 8 References
- 9 Team
Project SmartKitchen plans to explore what it would be like if you knew exactly what was in your fridge in real time, with little to no effort. Even better, we’d love to help you leverage this information and take your available ingredients to suggest new healthy recipes to try. Our vision is to help everyone with the question, “What’s for dinner?”, so you never have to come up blank again.
Project SmartKitchen attempts to help people answer the question "What's for dinner?" in such a way that optimizes ingredients on hand, reduces food wasteage, and offers recipes (eventually) tailored to the user's time, skill, dietary requirements, allergies, likes/dislikes, etc.
Lean Start Up Flow
SmartKitchen aims to answer the question "What's for dinner?"
- Use image recognition to identify the inventory of the kitchen
- Use barcode to identify and manage the inventory of the kitchen
- Use RFID to identify and manage the inventory of the kitchen (entire house, garbagecan)
- Use OCR to identify and manage the inventory of the kitchen
- Use the inventory of the kitchen to provide recipes
- Use an Open Source Cookbook to provide recipes from the community and socially engage/gamify the community in the food area
Leap of Faith Assumptions Being Tested
- We are assuming that we can use image recognition to accurately identify some percentage of the contents of the kitchen
- We assume that people want recipes that they can make with their existing kitchen inventory
- We believe that if we give a user an experiment device for identifying their inventory that we will be able to recognize 20% of items with our existing training to date.
- If run a Facebook Ad describing our product, we expect a 2% response rate
- If we create a video that shows our product vision and advertise it, we expect a 2% response rate.
Project SmartKitchen/ Experiment 1: Image Recognition Prototype
Project SmartKitchen/ Experiment 2: Video Survey
Project SmartKitchen/ Experiment 3: Facebook Ad
Project SmartKitchen/ Experiment 4: Facebook Ad Refactor
Project SmartKitchen/ Experiment 5: User Behavior Survey
Project SmartKitchen/ Experiment 6: Upstream Concierge
Project SmartKitchen/ Experiment 7: Second Image Provider
Project SmartKitchen/ Experiment 8: Optical Flow
|Passed Gate 0||06/08/2016||Done||Gate 0 Pitch|
|User Research Survey||06/10/2016||Done||user Research Doc|
|Kick off in London||06/13-17/2016||Done|
|Prototype Requirements Document||07/13/2016||Done||Prototype Requirements Document|
|Problem/Product Hypothesis Building||07/07/2016||Done||Problem/Product Hypothesis|
|Participatory Design||07/12/2016||On Hold||Participatory Design Template|
|Lean Start Up Training||07/13-14/2016||Done|
|Experiment #1: Prototype||07/15/2016 - 08/08/2016||Done|
|Experiment #2: Video||07/15/2016 - 08/12/2016||Done|
|Experiment #3: Facebook Ad||07/27/2016||Done|
|Experiment #4: Facebook Refactor||07/28-29/2016||Done|
|Hypothesis Validation Prototype||08/04/2016||Done||Smart Kitchen Prototype Requirements|
|Experiment #5: Investigating Current User Behavior Survey||08/05/2016||Done|
|Experiment #6: Upstream Concierge||08/08/2016-09/06/2016||On Target|
|Experiment #7: Second Image Provider||08/18/2016-09/06/2016||On Target|
|Experiment #8: Optical Flow||08/18/2016-09/06/2016||On Target|
|On Target||The project or deliverable is expected to meet its due date.|
|Challenged||The project or deliverable is facing an issue that might cause it to miss its due date, but a “get well” plan has been developed to get it back on track.|
|At Risk or Late||The project or deliverable is blocked or facing an issue that might cause it to miss its due date, and there’s no “get well” plan to get it back on track, or it is already late.|
|Done||The project or deliverable has been completed.|
|On Hold or Not Started||The project or deliverable has either not been started or has been placed on hold.|
|07/01/16||Sprint 2 Demo||Image recognition with IBM Bluemix and bar code recognition.|
|07/08/16||Sprint 3 Demo||MySQL Database, checking in the schema, connecting to the data, and identify items user flow.|
|07/15/16||Sprint 4 Demo|| Hardware: LED lights, enclosure and stand, button,
|07/22/16||Sprint 5 Demo||Inventory to Recipe flow, Google Analytics and metrics|
|07/29/16||Sprint 6 Demo||Summary of our findings for the Facebook ad experiment and status update on our video and prototype experiment|
Join the conversation on irc.mozilla.org, channel #SmartKitchen.
|"SmartKitchen" Vidyo Room|
Bi-Weekly Sync Ups
Project SmartKitchen has open bi-weekly sync ups every Tuesday and Thursday at 11:00AM PST in the SmartKitchen Vidyo room. Instructions for joining the video conference (vidyo) meeting room are above. Meeting notes can be found here.
Project Management (Trello)
- Project SmartKitchen is operating on one-week sprints. To follow our actions throughout the gating process, please follow our Project SmartKitchen Trello.
- We give weekly Demos in the Smart Kitchen vidyo room at 11am Pacific.
- Innovation Board pitch deck
- Smart Kitchen Trello
- SmartKitchen Prototype Design Requirements
- Our blog category at connected.mozilla.org