- 1 Steward
- 2 Accessibility Contribute Group
- 3 Action Plan
- 4 Background Information
David Bolter and Ken Saunders
Accessibility Contribute Group
No regularly scheduled meetings
Determine where contributors are needed and prioritize.
(please add to the list)
Create new contribution opportunities where they don't currently exist or are not being covered. For example, end user support, marketing, contributor recruiting, all pertaining to Mozilla accessibility of course.
Make sure that there are opportunities for anyone to get involved and help out regardless of what skills they may or may not have. It could be as simple as someone helping out with awareness, and it could eventually lead someone deeper into contributing (that's my story -Ken).
Audit existing channels where potential contributors find information (or should be able to find information) about how to get involved and then optimize to make sure the channels are effective.
- https://wiki.mozilla.org/Accessibility ✓
Coding Specific Tools
- Register an account on Bugzilla.
- Find a mentored bug: Find a task to work on. Use this search to find a mentored bug to work on.
- Patch review: Once you have made a patch for a bug, attach it to the bug and request review for it. It's just a matter of setting 'review?' on it and selecting an appropriate reviewer.
- Make your own build of Firefox, from the source code of the development version (mozilla-central). This page explains how to do that.
- Create a clear and simple breakdown of contribution opportunities with the fewest amount of clicks as possible to get potential contributors started right away.
- Create on-ramp resources to guide new contributors into the areas that they're interested in. Include personal interactions to welcome them in and give them the opportunity to introduce themselves to the community.
Q: Can you identify all of the contributors on your team (both paid-staff and volunteer-staff)?
A: Many, but not all (yet).
Define Contribution Opportunities
Q: Can you point someone interested in contributing to your project to a list of available contribution opportunities?
A: Yes, right now we are scoped to engineering work, but I'd like to broaden the accessibility contribution space. In particular I think we need someone to help with our web presence. Accessibility/Contribute
Map Contribution Paths
Q: Are there clearly understood steps someone can follow to go from knowing nothing about your project to successfully contributing?
A: Accessibility/Contribute but that is engineering specific.
Establish Goals and Metrics
Q: Can you measure participation or contributors today? If so, what metrics can you track? What goal or metric would you like to achieve for Q1? Alternatively, what metrics would you like to get in place for Q1?
A: Bug and mercurial activity provide our simplest metrics. I'd like input from metrics into how we can get a better picture of contribution for Q1/Q2.