Planning Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - 11:00am PT, 18:00 UTC
- Mountain View Offices: Warp Core Conference Room
- Toronto Offices: Finch Conference Room
- irc.mozilla.org #planning for backchannel
- (the developer meeting takes place on Tuesdays)
Video/Teleconference Details - NEW
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 99696 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 99696 (US)
- Vidyo Room: ProductCoordination
- Vidyo Guest URL
- 1 Actions from Last Week
- 2 Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- 3 Feedback Summary
- 4 UX & User Research
- 5 Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team
- 6 Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- 7 Questions, Comments, FYI
- 8 Actions this week
Actions from Last Week
Schedule & Progress on Upcoming Releases
- Reminder that the schedule is pushed out 2 weeks see: https://wiki.mozilla.org/RapidRelease/Calendar for 2014 release dates
Firefox Desktop & Platform
- EOL for ESR 17 next week. Updates will be provided to ESR 24.2.0.
- Firefox 26 RC with QA - shipping on Tuesday
- FF26 is in good shape, no known issues
- FF27 ready for Beta, no known issues
- Merge day is on Monday Dec 9th, we'll be putting holly branch to Aurora, not mozilla-central because of Australis (which is staying on Nightly).
- Team working on Iteration #20 until Friday December 06.
- Final development iteration before uplifting to Aurora 28 next week.
- To date, 43 out of 75 points completed.
- Expecting 25 points of work to carry over into Aurora.
34 Total; 0 Open (0%); 20 Resolved (58.82%); 14 Verified (41.18%);
- We're good to go
- QA sign-off for the latest beta: https://wiki.mozilla.org/QA/Fennec/26/Beta/8
- Reviews are still a solid 4.4, though there are some comments about topsites we should probably dig into
- [ON TRACK] AMO discoverability
- [ON TRACK] Addition of search engines - Yahoo and Bing for en-US, FR, DE, es-ES and en-GB
- [ON TRACK] About:home redesign
- [ON TRACK] search provider management in settings menu
- [ON TRACK] Add-ons can add content to the "promotional banner" tile
- [ON TRACK] WebRTC platform support, continued
- [ON TRACK] Overhaul of the favicon system bug 914296
- [ON TRACK] Marketplace discoverability - simple UI polish
- [ON TRACK] WebRTC platform support, continued
- [ON TRACK] Remove overscroll and show highlight instead bug 705246 and bug 791475
- [ON TRACK] Developer improvements: IDE support bug 924961
- [ON TRACK] Memory usage improvements: bug 931843
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: South African English (za-EN)
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Thai (th)
- [AT RISK] Added locale: Lithuanian (lt)
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Slovenian (sl)
- There has been some nightly bustage, sorry everyone! Multi-locale builds ended up being empty that got fixed last night and actual updates were fixed this morning...
- Fixed, bug 943742 - Swiping closed non-selected tabs from tray leaves TabCounter incorrect in current screen
- Landed bug 936756 - Switch locales via pref, not via system locale setting which is part of bug 935025 which is is pretty darn awesome
- [AT RISK] bug 768667 - Use the action bar for text selection on ICS+, bug 943513, bug 942680 <== top issues, UI and regression google search and search suggestions hidden behind URL bar
- [ON TRACK] bug 852608 - Add support for OpenSearch. Firefox Mobile supports <link rel="search">
- [ON TRACK] Dynamic snippets support preffed off
- [ON TRACK] bug 932865 - Hang detection
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Estonian (et)
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Belarusian (be)
- planning Aurora Hacks Post for Dec 17th
- releasing Add-on SDK 1.15
- target date is Thursday Dec 12th
- also planning Add-on Builder EOL notice for the same day, will ping communications@ with a blog draft this week.
UX & User Research
- So many bugs. So awesome. Keep em coming!
- Assembling a test plan for the Australis Update UX
- Continuing work on final polish mockups with OS X version [WIP]: https://people.mozilla.org/~shorlander/mockups-interactive/australis-interactive-mockups/osx.html
- Other Platforms: Windows 8 — https://people.mozilla.org/~shorlander/mockups-interactive/australis-interactive-mockups/windows8.html
- Exploring opportunities to improve perceived performance of the browser
- Assembling a backlog of "state of good repair" refinements
- Drafting a "Firefox as a Hub for Online Life" -- a project that is kicking off on Android already but has great value on desktop as well.
- Officially renaming to "Firefox for Windows 8 Touch"!
- Working through first run UX designs
- Spinning up some "Hub" related enhancements to the Firefox Home screen: adding 3rd part services and feeds. Follow along here https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Projects/Third-party_service_integration_MVP
- Progress on performance tooling -- in progress mockup http://cl.ly/image/2E3R0z1f0n1G
Market Insights from the Market Strategy Team
Desktop / Platform
- IDC forecasts worldwide PC shipments to fall by 10.1% In 2013; volumes expected to stabilize above 300 million units per year, but with no significant recovery. Enterprise sales are down 5% and consumer sales are down 15%.  Worldwide tablet shipments are expected to reach 221.3 million units in 2013, 53.5% above 2012 levels. Shipment growth is forecast to slow to 22.2% year over year in 2014, and down to single digits by 2017.  Phablets appear to cannibalize the smaller tablet form factors and usage scenarios. 
- Spider.io demonstrates how easy it is to use malware with less than 100 lines of code to impersonate real website visitors and visit webpages of the botnet's choosing. This generates traffic from residential IP addresses with real user cookies and with real mouse traces and click events.  Some publishers are supposedly optimizing their sites for bot-generated traffic.  While the top 500 retailers have increased paid search spend 25% , adtech fraud costs advertisers an estimated $7m per month and make Facebook more attractive. 
- Internet browser reviews often use older versions  of all browsers and reflect areas for improvement in startup time and navigation time. WebRTC implementation comparisons show comparison's between Firefox and Chrome with ratings neck-and-neck without significant differentiation in quality.  Rendering engine comparisons are also using older version and rank Gecko with competitors . The list used as the top website creation software packages are expensive. 
Marketing, Press & Public Reaction
- How to keep gifts bought online secret
- How to Safely Shop Online
- TECH NOW: How to dodge shopping scams
- Brazil Desktop Campaign: We'll be launching this by the end of the week. Get ready, Brazil. [Kristin, Laura & NoBox]
- Indonesia Desktop Campaign: Now live in Indonesia. Goal is to help increase usage levels within Indonesia within Q4. Get your Kumi paper toy here or use this Indonesian Theme here. [Gen, Viking]
- Australis Marketing Launch: The Engagement team "wave" is currently reviewing channel launch plans. The final launch plan will be presented to core Firefox product team early Jan [Laura]
- Van's Social API Sidebar: This social API implementation is helping to support our overall Van's Triple Crown sponsorship and makes Firefox the best browser to keep up with contests. It's now live here.
- Firefox for Windows 8 Touch: Now has an official name - Firefox for Windows 8 Touch. Thanks to Pete and Karen for helping us reach a decision. Contact Karen or myself if you have naming or usage questions. [Laura]