Firefox Product Delivery Meeting Details
- Wednesdays - Firefox 3 - 11:00am Pacific, 2:00pm Eastern, 18:00 UTC
- Mozilla Building S
- 650-903-0800 or 650-215-1282 x91 Conf# 8605 (US/INTL)
- 1-800-707-2533 (pin 369) Conf# 8605 (US)
- irc.mozilla.org #shiretoko for backchannel
NOTE: See Platform#Meeting_Notes for development meeting notes
Firefox 2.0.0.x / 3.0.x
18.104.22.168 / 3.0.2 / 3.0.3:
- Shipped 22.214.171.124 & 3.0.2 last Tuesday
- A bug was found after shipping that affected the password manager
- Determined we needed to firedrill for the aforementioned bug
- Shipped 3.0.3 on Friday
126.96.36.199 / 3.0.4:
- Currently doing triage
- Target release date is November 12 (See Releases)
- Also tracking a couple bugs on both branches to see if we need to move the release up by a couple weeks; should know more by the end of the week.
- common issues
- New this week:
- Possible new malware attack, doubled pages is the most common symptom
- Slowness in downloading/rendering pages may be LinkedIn extension, may need some QA
- Norton Firewall blocking EVERYTHING after Firefox update
- Preliminary data from KB metrics is up now
- Stats on the 3.0.2 password manager bug: at least 500 people found the KB page on this topic so thanks to everyone in the RRRT for helping us get it up so fast.
- code freeze last night
- still tracking several regressions:
- still need to land:
- once done with Beta 1, we'll keep the tree frozen for sdwilsh
- continuing to evaluate content for revised schedule, should have decisions by end of this week
- string freeze is Thursday, October 30th at 11:59pm
- code freeze is Tuesday, November 4th at 11:59pm
- list of changes so far
- Please keep using user-doc-needed or add stuff to that page so we can start writing/updating articles.
- 35 lanuages for Firefox 3.1 Beta 1
- Release specific dashboard is available.
- Sign-off thread on google groups with given stamps worked well, no green locales missing opt-in.
- Dropping tinderboxens due to long cycle time make collecting tinderstatus impossible, ignore that info on the dashboard.
- Shipped Fx3.0.3 to beta and release channels last friday
- Drafting up the Beta 1 Testplan. No ETA yet.
- More progress on testcase and testplan development for:
- CSS Transform tests have a patch in
- CSS Border Radius
- XSS-XHR test review done
- SVG as image and Media Queries
- Video Seeking feature for use in Video tests
- Search text widget work (mostly mochitests)
- Private Browsing
- CSS Multiple backgrounds
- Nightly bug verifications and nominating beta1 blockers
- slower then usual security release, en-US available before l10n
- 188.8.131.52 / 3.0.4
- another FF2->FF3.0 major update?
- plans/discussions on branching FF3.1, so mozilla-central becomes FF3.next?
- when is post mortum on 184.108.40.206/3.0.2/3.0.3?
- Documentation is well underway, but lots to do still. Please make sure that your developer-facing changes are listed on the Firefox 3.1 for developers page; if it's not there, there is no plan to write about it!
- Add-ons for Firefox 3.1 - who can help with documenting that? Mark is on mobile, kind of hard. Another person via Mike?
- 3.0.2 regression - rey is on it.
- when will we do next major update offer?
- joduinn needs to know for scheduling and Firefox 2 EOL planning
- beltzner wants to make sure we respect the decision of people who said "Never" and only ask those people again when we're sure that the context to upgrade has changed (compatibility updates, Firefox 2 EOL, etc)
- ss and dveditz believe that moving people to the newer version is virtuous because Firefox 3 is a better & more secure product, and it allows us to EOL with confidence
- dveditz observes that we only did two offers from 1.5 -> 2 because of the lateness of getting the major update code in the 1.5 line
- ss observes that major updates usually convert > 50% of people on the older version
- joduinn observes that because of the major update mechanism, the recent minor update to 220.127.116.11 effectively neutered the existing major update offer:
- users on < 18.104.22.168 will immediately get minor updates to that version and not see the major update offer
- no major update offer exists on the 22.214.171.124 update channel
- no way to offer major update only to people who didn't say "Never" (this turns out to be untrue, see options below)
- question becomes: how frequently can we offer the updates such that we're respecting the user's choice
- never: full respect to user's choice at the cost of leaving more users with a legacy browser
- only at EOL: primary respect to user's choice at the cost of only getting one chance to move people off before EOL
- <1 time before EOL: less respect to user's choice in order to get more users onto Firefox 3 and off what will become the legacy browser
- other options:
- put a Major Update offer on the 126.96.36.199 channel and throttle it to 100% such that only users who "Check for update..." see the upgrade offer again
- put a Major Update offer on the 188.8.131.52 channel with a target update version of 3.0.1 but actually point it to the MARs for 3.0.3; this way users who said "never" to 3.0.1 won't see the offer, but users who have yet to see that first offer will still be asked to upgrade to Firefox 3, and users who "Check for Updates" will also be given the full upgrade