Notices / Schedule
- code freeze January 19th <-- boy, that's a while ago, isn't it?
- there are 15 blockers remaining for 18.104.22.168
- bz, ddahl, dholbert, jmathies, mrbkap (x9), roc, wtc (so, johnath?)
- there are 11 blockers remaining for 22.214.171.124
- joe, kaie (x2, so johnath?), mats, mrbkap (x3), rs, roc, surkov, wtc (so, johnath?)
- release scheduled for Feb 16th
- released last Thursday at 9:30am PST
- built off Gecko 1.9.2
Firefox for Maemo 1.0 RC3
- coming this week
- will be built off Gecko 126.96.36.199
- will be built off Gecko 188.8.131.52
- potentially skipping the version number of Firefox 3.6.1 in order to stay in sync with platform
- hoping for small, mid-February release, co-inciding with Firefox 3.0.18/3.5.8
- alpha hopefully coming in the next week or two
- 1.9.3 Triage: 200 nominations
- 1.9.3 alpha 1: 18 Open blockers
- features we want alpha testing on
- OOPP status?
- releasing Linux 64-bit builds for alpha 1?
Browser / Front End
Holy crap, we shipped 3.6 and it is awesome! Let's do new, awesome things!
Among the upcoming awesome stuff you may want to keep an eye on:
- New theme work spinning up in earnest. UX/Dev teams met today to parcel out work, bugs being filed.
- Tab matches in awesomebar (new, possibly final patch coming this week) bug 480350
- Extension Manager UI rewrite moving along swiftly, and fleshing out the new Extension Manager API in the process.
- UI for crashed, out-of-process plugins in near-final review bug 538910
- Marco added some much-needed features to Browser-chrome-mochitests, which he blogged about.
- The Places API and Toolbar API for Jetpack are in final review stages.
- Ryan is assisting the I/O-- project by making content pref lookups asynchronous.
For more, subscribe to planet firefox
- Pixman update landed on mozilla-central, and gave us a win on Tsvg, bu most importantly it gave us a whole lot of code churn, and therefore a new set of bugs. Please test!
- Cairo update work is ongoing. (This will allow us to use the cairo GL backend.)
- The Cairo side of the Direct2D patch has landed. Font, widget, etc work is still undergoing review.
- Core Animation patch (bug 497225) is undergoing review. It has some deficiencies that we hope are fixable, but might not be. There also seems to be no way to retrieve, and therefore test, its output (confirmed by an Apple employee).
- Plans laid for adaptive streaming at FOMS
- Landed syncbase timing for SVG animation
- CPOWs still awaiting review (bent, feel free to steal SR from bsmedberg). Exception support in a followup bug. Coordinated with cjones to support automatic run-to-completion semantics.
- More people on board with e10s necko work
- Starting to help out with triaging for trunk alpha.
- Complete wrapperization ready for review.
- Talos now fixed so its pageset works with HTML5 parser builds.
- Main HTML5 parser mochitest failure reason identified.
Platform-specific Support Update
- Read the latest weekly update. (none last week)
- View snapshot results for startup and all other tests.
|Estimated win||Bug #||Summary||Owner||Status||Notes|
|>10%||bug 512584||Super fast paths for Components.classes and Components.interfaces||Taras Glek||in progress||Taras is traveling, says he'll close it out when he returns.|
|>10%||bug 525013||Investigate a more static build configuration of Firefox||Joel Reymont||in progress||Joel has a patch up for review by Ted, and posted to dev.platform. PDF charts of results: Mac, Linux.|
|up to 25%||bug 514083||Per-file HFS+ compression on Mac OSX 10.6||Joel Reymont||in progress||Joel's starting to work on this.|
|TBD||bug 520309||Startup cache: replacement for fastload cache||Ben Hsieh||in progress||Multiple-references likely not needed, final patch for the original approach is in progress.|
|TBD||bug 503483||Turn on --enable-faststart for Firefox by default||Dietrich||in progress||Got a patch up that gets it working manually on Win7. Need changes to installer and updater before we can get it into nightly tester's hands. Need more measurements on overall cost.|
|TBD||bug 513149||Speed up CSS parsing by using a machine generated lexer||Zack Weinberg||Zack's blocked on other work||No update.Taras says about 6% of startup spent parsing CSS.|
- Last known blockers to on-by-default should land today, hopefully on-by-default for tomorrow's nightly (bsmedberg will blog today)
- small set of additional blockers for beta, plus actually doing the backport. The tree is now live and working
- async global history (Fred)
- networking (bsmedberg owes jduell a review)
- event handling (smaug)
- DWARF Linux support landed.
- DWARF CFI parser written, tests.
- Remaining work:
- Unit tests for DWARF-CFI-to-Breakpad-STACK-CFI adapter. This is a small component; tests should be done today.
- Various cleanups. No big stuff: Google C++ Style guide compliance points, etc.
- Getting Google to review the patches. (Some of them are big.)
Will evaluate results after a week or two.
- Started move of n810s to faraday cage. bug 538523
- a brief word on blocking flags (beltzner)
- alpha builds could be delayed due to 3.0.18 / 3.5.8 / 3.6.2 releases
- Firebug point release next week
- Firefox bug uploading with XHR with Firebug net panel and spy active, bug 542120
- See the dev.planning thread about post 3.6 CrashKill efforts. Don't be surprised if I (damons) tap you on the shoulder to chase down a crash. We'll be pushing fixes to crashes out as fast as we can.