Personal tools

Platform/2013-10-01

From MozillaWiki

Jump to: navigation, search


« previous week | index | next week »

Engineering Meeting Details

  • Tuesday 2013-10-01 - 11:00 am Pacific
  • Dial-in: conference# 98411
    • US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x92 Conf# 98411
    • CA/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x92 Conf# 98411
    • UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x92 Conf# 98411
    • FR/Paris: +33 1 44 79 34 80, x92 Conf# 98411
    • US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 369) Conf# 98411
  • Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Widmer
  • join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel

Contents

Actions

Hot Bugs

(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)

Orange Factor
Stability
  • bug 921171 - crash in js::NukeCrossCompartmentWrappers - this is #3 and concerning on Aurora and needs investigation
    • Johnny to find someone to look into this
Other

The Need To Know

(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)

Notices/Schedule (akeybl/lsblakk/bajaj)

Next Merge: April 28, 2014 Next Release: April 29, 2014
Trains
Central: 31 Aurora: 30 Beta: 29 Release: 28
34 bugs (36 bugs last week)
44 bugs (52 bugs last week)
Unresolved Aurora 30 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta) Unresolved Beta 29 Trackers (non-security)

Build Changes (gps)

(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)

Upcoming Outages/Upgrades

(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)

Key Issues

(Non team specific issues that impact engineering.)

Team Stand-ups

(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)

Accessibility (dbolter)

<Read Only>

Add-on SDK (dtownsend)

No update

App Tools (dtownsend)

No update

B2G Services (dougt)

Developer Tools (robcee)

  • Closure Inspection in the Debugger's Variables View bug 810966
  • Color unit dropdown for the Inspector bug 775135. Available in the Options Panel.
  • Now opening the Browser Console instead of Error Console with -jsconsole flag on command line bug 860672

DOM (jst/dougt)

Firefox Desktop (gavin/dolske)

Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)

  • Still targeting a Fx27 release; working through a long list of blocker bugs.
  • Biggest area of work is still panning/zooming/gfx.
    • Implemented "axis locking" for AsyncPanZoomController; may be useful for B2G too: bug 892684

Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)

  • Fix for landed for Nightly Fx27 (by way of backing out bug 875731), bug 921944 Regression: Unable to initiate a download
  • All UI changes have been uplifted to Aurora Fx26 bug 917394
  • Other fun stuff:

Firefox OS Browser (blassey)

  • UA Override follow ups
    • bug 916205 - Create and enable dynamic UA override list in B2G
    • bug 917965 - UA overrides are disabled if update is invalid

Firefox OS Communications (scravag)

<Read Only>

  • 1.3
    • some user stories have been flagged as committed (mostly for Messaging)
    • DSDS support is a commitment but we still don't have an agreement for the scope we must cover.
  • koi? : 31 to be triaged.
  • koi+ : 25

Firefox OS Devices/Porting/Bluetooth (mchen)

<Read Only>

  • Device Porting
    • Flatfish
      • JB MR1 (4.2.2) Porting on Nexus 4.
      • bug 920921 - Analysis the low graphic performance on allwinner platform.
      • bug 919252 Fix bugs.
  • Sensor
    • bug 908058 - add orientation keyword 'default' to express normal orientation
  • FOTA
  • Bluetooth
    • Bluedroid: Working on BluetoothSocket and A2DP/AVRCP
    • Try to let A2DP/AVRCP profile pass PTS.
    • Stabilize BT on V1.2 branch.

Firefox OS Haida (scravag)

<Read Only>

Check the wiki FirefoxOS/Haida for charts and roadmap

meta bug for tracking: bug 918790

  • prototype replaceable homescreen has landed bug 898330
  • New Windows manager is under active should be ready by October 25th
  • Datastore API should be delivered October 11th
  • Edge gstures implementation has started (in advance) some tests have been made for making the difference between edge gestures and app gestures. It is working very well.
  • UX input for Browser is awaited by the end of this week

Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)

<Read Only>

  • Last Week
    • Continue working on Blocking bugs for 1.2
    • Adding capability to create ring tones from songs - we would like to get this into 1.2 release
    • Adding music controls on lockscreen (1.3)
  • This Week
    • Continue to work on blocking bugs for 1.2
    • Planning 1.3 release contents for media team. Our primary focus is on camera and gallery features (also including feedback from recent User Research Studies on Camera features: flash, auto-focus, digital zoom).

Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)

<Read Only>

  • WebRTC
    • bug 918523 - getUserMedia audio streams will be released after a period of time while running in a background app
    • bug 853356 [B2G getUserMedia] Display front/back camera list on permission prompt
  • MediaRecord
    • bug 891704 - [MediaEncoder] Implement MP4Writer
    • bug 911046 - WebRTC OmxCodec coding path support
    • {{Bug|916135} - Investigate webaudio mochitest timeouts on B2G
  • Gfx
    • bug 919410 - [LockScreen] Fix the glitches among the sliders when user is pulling the handle

Firefox OS Performance (mlee)

Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)

<Read Only>

No new news this week. Continuing work on blocking bugs for v1.2 and POP3 implementation for v1.3.

https://www.pivotaltracker.com/s/projects/867311

Firefox OS Radio/GPS (kenhkchang)

<Read Only>

  • Last week
    • Fix koi+ issues.
    • RTSP Client, to support rtsp streaming framework.
    • NFC -
      • To implement reading NDEF message for NFCD.
      • To discuss NFC communication protocol with DT.
    • EAP-SIM, to study if we can implement EAP-SIM function without modify wpa-supplicant.
    • Multi-SIM, to enable emulator functions for Multi-SIM.
    • WPA-EAP, to implement key manager function.
    • WIFI-Direct, to do the WIFI-Direct porting on Nexus 4.
    • Power metering, to move the power metering function from Gecko to Gaia.
  • This week
    • Fix koi+ issues.
    • RTSP Client, to add the test cases for RTSP
    • NFC -
      • To refine the NFCD code and prepare for landing code.
      • To add NFC communication protocol in nfcd.
    • EAP-SIM, try to read the authentication data from SIM card, testing in Nexus 4.
    • Multi-SIM, to implement webapi for DSDS.
    • WPA-EAP, to import PKCS#12 CA by wifimanager.
    • WIFI-Direct, to support start/stop DHCP server in Network Manager.
    • Power metering, to discuss the WebAPI.

Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)

Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)

<Read Only>

https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gaia/Team/Taipei/Meetings/2013-10-01

Will switch to v1.3 list next next week. See https://wiki.mozilla.org/Gaia/Team/Taipei/v1.3

  • Tablet: Swipe to home landed, minor tweak to wrapper toolbar, orientation: default landed
  • 3rd-party keyboard framework: OOP is still pending; working on some koi+ bugs
  • Simplified Chinese IME: no update
  • Gaia build script: Fx extension is landed, asking help for build script work
  • Window management upgrade: no update

GFX (milan)

  • Unifying the graphics team, now including most people working on the graphics
    • Unified agenda, mobile and desktop
  • Work week Oct 21-25

Identity (jedp)

<Read Only>

  • people in transit/PTO pre Summit
  • persona on desktop (ozten)
  • persona on fxos ftu (jedp)

JS (naveed)

NOTE: JavaScript GGC team meeting in Mountain View November 18th.

  • Last Week
    • Compiler (JIT)
      • bug 918405: Enable OSR-ing into Ion in functions with needsArgumentObject
      • Profiled dromaeo DOM Traversal (Prototype) benchmark for slowdowns. Identified disabled ion-compilation of '$' function because it contains a JSOP_SETARG and it uses magic arguments.
    • Garbage Collection
    • Front End and Other
      • Start-up Cache work to improve load times
      • bug 913260: Added "distinguished amounts" to the memory reporter manager. This reduces implicit dependencies between the memory reporters and consumers such as about:memory and telemetry.
  • Blockers
    • None

Layout (jet/dbaron)

<Read Only>

  • Work week Oct 21-25
  • Some Layout updates missed in earlier meetings:
    • bug 298619 - Use EXIF image orientation in top-level image document
    • bug 910506 - update harfbuzz to upstream release 0.9.21
    • bug 906521 - SVG-in-OpenType text implementation
    • bug 913438 - Speed up Background Image layout
    • bug 875250 - implement CSS parsing of text-orientation, text-combine-horizontal properties

Media (jesup)

<Read Only>

  • Daala - coding party is happening now today, tomorrow and Thursday (Oct 3) in the MV office. The goal is to move the new video codec forward. No DSP knowledge required. Any time you can give the project is appreciated. If interested, please contact Maire (mreavy@mozilla.com). More details are here.
  • If you have any trouble getting a WebRTC call to connect successfully, please file a bug and copy Maire (mreavy@mozilla.com)
  • getUserMedia audio for B2G will be supported in v1.2. The rest of WebRTC (gUM video, PeerConnction, DataChannels) for B2G is targeted for v1.3.

Necko (dougt/jduell)

<Read Only>

  • Finally landed off-main thread OnDataAvailable for image parser!
  • predictive API and disabling speculative connections are struggling with failures that only happen on try/inbound. But we're hopefully close.
  • Http cache: fixing bugs from intial testing. Decided to work on keeping cache index to handle eviction efficiently.
  • Resource timing getting close--will land single-process only for now.

Performance (vladan)

  • As of today, Telemetry data from non-release channels is being fed exclusively into the new Telemetry dash. New dash: http://telemetry-dash.mozilla.org/
  • We're starting to look into potential of launching plugins/plugin instances asynchronously
  • Perf team will be giving talks in Toronto and Brussels during the summit

Seceng (mmc)

  • Landed Bug 842828 and are now close to turning on Application Reputation by default in Nightly - two bugs remain.
  • Re-organized sandbox syscall whitelist for easier development on multiple platforms; you can now use the —enable-content-sandbox flag on 64 bit linux - Bug 914716

WebAPI (overholt)

Quality Programs

(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)

CritSmash (dbolter)

The bugs are too damn high!

Please check the bugs in your component

MemShrink (njn)

No update.

OrangeFactor (ryanvm)

  • Past week's OrangeFactor: 4.75 (Previous Week: 4.6).
  • 14 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.

Stability (kairo/bsmedberg)

  • Overall numbers look good - mobile beta and release are higher than usual, bugs are tracked.

Roundtable

(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)

<Read only beyond this point>

Friends of the Tree

There were lots of great changes by volunteers in Core and Toolkit during the past week. Thanks to all of these contributors for their passion and hard work! Here are some highlights:

  • Kailas added categories to SSL errors in the browser console (bug 898712).
  • Neil Rashbrook (NeilAway) reduced the uses of nsString.h (bug 920073).
  • Doug Crosher (dougc) fixed some IonMonkey and OdinMonkey problems (bug 920452, bug 921437, bug 921490).
  • [first patch!] Tareq Khandaker made mach build all dependencies for paths specified (bug 869613).
  • Glenn Randers-Pehrson upgraded libpng to 1.6.6 (bug 841734, bug 853190).
  • Andy Wingo (wingo) improved the API for self-hosted JS (bug 920433).
  • Frank Yan (fryn) unprefixed -moz-grab and -moz-grabbing (bug 880672).
  • [first patch!] Wesley Chalmers fixed numeric conversion edge cases for certain WebIDL types (bug 891537).
  • Robert Longson (longsonr) fixed an SVG BBox problem with css frames (bug 919900).
  • Jacek Caban fixed MinGW build errors (bug 919479, bug 919513).
  • Rick Eyre (reyre) fixed various WebVTT problems (bug 883173, bug 919265, bug 920088).
  • Geeksphone fixed a graphics issue while scrolling on certain mobile devices (bug 903374).
  • Dan Gohman (sunfish) fixed a SpiderMonkey assertion and did some cleanup (bug 900683, bug 918023, bug 920061).
  • Birunthan Mohanathas (poiru) cleaned up some win32 and layout code (bug 783333, bug 906852, bug 919729).
  • Martin Stránský did some more GTK2->GTK3 work (bug 884708).
  • [first patch!] erietta cleaned up some uneeded OS.File test code (bug 918354).
  • Mark Capella (capella) made TableExists work for temporary tables (bug 472963).
  • Abhishek Potnis (abhishekp) fixed an undefined reference in the addon manager code (bug 909159).
  • Ms2ger updated our suite of web platform tests (bug 919520, bug 920043, bug 920064).
  • Chris Jones (cjones) made a build step more verbose when it fails (bug 920703).
  • Cykesiopka contributed to the build system conversion (bug 914273).
  • Jan Beich fixed more BSD build errors (bug 920112, bug 921658).

Mailing List Threads

(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)

Good Reads

(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)

irc #planning Log From This Meeting

[2:00pm] lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2013-10-01
[2:00pm] milan joined the chat room.
[2:00pm] milan_ left the chat room. (Connection reset by peer)
[2:01pm] davidb left the chat room. (Quit: davidb)
[2:01pm] tantek left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:01pm] lmandel: RyanVM|sheriffduty: Thanks
[2:02pm] Waldo joined the chat room.
[2:03pm] vladan1 joined the chat room.
[2:03pm] joduinn is now known as joduinn-mtg.
[2:03pm] lmandel: jst, naveed: Thanks for jumping in on that.
[2:04pm] dholbert_ joined the chat room.
[2:04pm] naveed: lmandel : I changed JS to NOT READONLY just now - please refresh - i ahve one note to make
[2:04pm] lmandel: naveed: OK.
[2:05pm] dholbert_ left the chat room. (Connection reset by peer)
[2:06pm] dholbert_ joined the chat room.
[2:06pm] jet joined the chat room.
[2:06pm] dholbert_ left the chat room. (Client exited)
[2:06pm] catlee: joduinn-mtg, lmandel: I have one follow up item
[2:07pm] bmoss left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:08pm] pcwalton left the chat room. (Quit: pcwalton)
[2:09pm] grace left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:09pm] mfinkle: blassey doesn't give flowers
[2:09pm] blassey: I do give hugs though
[2:09pm] catlee: http://inbound-archive.pub.build.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/
[2:09pm] mfinkle: bear hugs
[2:10pm] joduinn-mtg: blassey: the trick is to remember the difference between "running tackle" and "hug"
[2:10pm] grace joined the chat room.
[2:10pm] pcwalton joined the chat room.
[2:10pm] blassey: there's a difference?
[2:10pm] joduinn-mtg: catlee: tell me when you've hit save, I'll re-add my edits-in-progress about the monitoring
[2:11pm] joduinn-mtg: blassey: 
[2:11pm] ozten joined the chat room.
[2:11pm] joduinn-mtg: akeybl: ++ to having the b2g milestones here, for context on gecko changes
[2:12pm] akeybl: thanks joduinn-mtg yeah #1 priority in B2G right now is proper focus and urgency
[2:13pm] catlee: joduinn-mtg: I hit save
[2:13pm] coop|mtg is now known as coop.
[2:13pm] jhopkins|mtg is now known as jhopkins.
[2:14pm] margaret: one gfx team to rule them all
[2:14pm] joduinn-mtg: hard to hear (milan?)
[2:14pm] milan: sorry about that - i guess i was facing the camera instead of the microphone
[2:14pm] lmandel: KaiRo: Stabiliity update?
[2:15pm] lmandel: bsmedberg: ^
[2:15pm] bmoss joined the chat room.
[2:15pm] KaiRo: lmandel: nothing from me
[2:15pm] sfink left the chat room. (Ping timeout)
[2:15pm] bmoss left the chat room. (Quit: bmoss)
[2:15pm] bsmedberg: no
[2:15pm] bmoss joined the chat room.
[2:15pm] joduinn-mtg: milan: no worries. i dont know where the mic is in that room
[2:15pm] milan: ceiling, I think
[2:16pm] joduinn-mtg: well, lmandel has clear voice, so whatever he is doing is great.
[2:16pm] rstrong joined the chat room.
[2:16pm] lmandel: joduinn-mtg: I just try to speak loudly
[2:17pm] • mbrubeck moves the camera in TOR away from pointing out the window
[2:17pm] breck joined the chat room.
[2:18pm] margaret: it's nice to see some former employees in the friends of the tree section
[2:19pm] • mbrubeck wonders if fryn will be at the summit
[2:19pm] teoli joined the chat room.
[2:19pm] mbrubeck: There is both a "Frank Yan" and a "Frankie Yan" in the Google Docs spreadsheet
[2:20pm] rail-lunch is now known as rail.
[2:20pm] margaret: heh, frankie works for us
[2:21pm] mbrubeck: wow
[2:21pm] mbrubeck: I see
[2:21pm] dbaron left the chat room. (Quit: 8403864 bytes have been tenured, next gc will be global.)
[2:21pm] mbrubeck: They're both going to brussels (unless fryn cancelled), so they can meet at last.