Engineering Meeting Details
- Tuesday 2014-02-04 - 11:00 am Pacific Standard Time
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 98411
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 98411
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 98411
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 98411
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 98411
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 98411
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 98411
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- Engineering Vidyo Room / Air Mozilla / MTV Warp Core / TOR Finch / SFO Warfield / PDX Hair of the Dog
- join irc.mozilla.org #planning for back channel
- 1 Actions
- 2 Hot Bugs
- 3 The Need To Know
- 4 Team Stand-ups
- 4.1 Accessibility (dbolter)
- 4.2 Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- 4.3 App Tools (prouget)
- 4.4 B2G Services (dougt)
- 4.5 Developer Tools (robcee)
- 4.6 DOM (jst/overholt)
- 4.7 Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- 4.8 Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- 4.9 Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- 4.10 Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
- 4.11 Firefox OS Devices/Porting (mchen)
- 4.12 Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- 4.13 Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
- 4.14 Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 4.15 Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
- 4.16 Firefox OS Radio/Bluetooth/GPS (kenhkchang)
- 4.17 Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
- 4.18 Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- 4.19 GFX (milan)
- 4.20 Identity (jedp)
- 4.21 JS (naveed)
- 4.22 Layout (jet/dbaron)
- 4.23 Media (mreavy)
- 4.24 Necko (dougt/jduell)
- 4.25 Performance (vladan)
- 4.26 Seceng (mmc)
- 4.27 Shumway (mbx)
- 4.28 WebAPI (overholt)
- 5 Quality Programs
- 6 Roundtable
- 7 <Read only beyond this point>
(Important bugs for which we need to find owners or additional help. If known, please include suggested team or knowledge needed to advance the bug.)
- Orange Factor
The Need To Know
(Release and system issues that may impact engineering this week.)
- Firefox Desktop & Mobile 27.0 released
- ESR 24.0.3 released
- FF28.0b1 is with QA
- Aurora updates are throttled until FF29 sign off
- As gecko 28 moves upto beta, b2g branched off to mozilla-b2g28_v1_3 for v1.3
- For v1.4 we have Gecko 30 on mozilla-central with gaia-master
|Next Merge: December 14, 2020||Next Release: December 15, 2020|
|Central: 85||Aurora: 54||Beta: 84||Release:|
|Unresolved Aurora 54 Trackers (non-security, not tracked for Beta)||Unresolved Beta 84 Trackers (non-security)|
Build Changes (gps)
(Build changes of which engineers should be aware.)
(Repo, test, and other information for engineers from the release engineering team.)
- Still having some issues with network (mostly related to AWS) bug 957502
- Have moved some FTP traffic out of VPN tunnel last week
- Looking at moving HG traffic out of VPN tunnel
(System outages/upgrades and tree closures that impact engineering.)
(In <2 mins, what did your team accomplish last week, on what is your team working on this week, and on what, if anything, is your team blocked? No questions during the stand-ups. All questions should be asked during the roundtable.)
No update. (work week! see DOM blog post below)
Add-on SDK (dtownsend)
- Content scripts are debuggable in the developer tools!
App Tools (prouget)
B2G Services (dougt)
Developer Tools (robcee)
Late landings shipped in 29.
- A Bunch of Theme Stuff
- Performance Statistics in Network Panel bug 966755
- Copy as Data URI on images in Net panel and Inspector
- Autocompletion of CSS values and properties in the Source Editor bug 717369
- work week in SF last week: http://overholt.ca/wp/?p=445
Firefox Desktop (gavin)
- Firefox Accounts-based Sync and Australis were both uplifted to Aurora 29 yesterday. Test the new Sync if you're adventurous: https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2014/02/01/test-the-new-firefox-sync-on-nightly-release-channel/
Firefox Metro (bbondy/jmathies/mbrubeck)
- Rollout with 28 still on track
- Rather significant changes to how we update from within metro landed late last week bug 950241, we now launch a background desktop process to do the update to avoid odd splash screen behavior. Patches will be uplifed to beta after some bake time on mc/aurora.
- Looking for some help in tracking down cause of gfx top crasher bug 960692 mozilla::layers::CompositorD3D11::BeginFrame crash.
Firefox Mobile (mfinkle/blassey)
- Fx Accounts authenticated Sync for Fx29 is now in Aurora. Please give it a spin.
- We have several reports about extremely slow startup that have been tied back to Adblock Plus. Profiling shows the problem to be creating regexes of a very large list of ad URL patterns. Adblock Plus is being removed from the Featured Add-ons.
- ANR Dashboard live at http://telemetry.mozilla.org/hang/anr
- Fixed in Aurora, bug 961749 - (Nexus 7 2012) - The tabs button is wrongly displayed after open a link in new tab
- Landed in time for the merge on Fx29: bug 964510 - Add a browser-delayed-startup-finished notification
- Fx30 has lot's of happenings around Firefox Hub, we're working the ability to create and customize panels and lists in Firefox Home, see Margaret's blog post in 'Good Reads' section
Firefox OS Communications (scravag)
Firefox OS Devices/Porting (mchen)
Firefox OS Media Apps (hema)
- Fixed 1.3 Bugs
- [Camera] Update camera.js to reflect new .sensorAngle attribute https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=947956
- [Camera] Negative picture/video rotation values are incorrectly calculated https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=963142
- [fugu][hamachi]Music app will not show files in pick mode if device is shared using USB and then unplugged https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=943750
- Decouple max camera snapshot size from max gallery image size https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=960756
- [B2G][Music] The song does not stop playing when previewing the song for a ringtone so overlapping audio occurs https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=956811
- [fugu][buri] it took long time to resume music play after ending a phone call https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=961986
- [MMS] Unable to view specific small pictures from MMS attachment taken from camera https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=966320
- [AUDIO_COMPETING] Progress bar moves when music is not playing https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=946556
- Following 1.3 bugs are under investigation
- Gallery app high memory usage during 1st launch https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=963917
- [B2G][Camera] mozilla::DOMCameraPreview::Start() - crash when switching between the camera and gallery https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=957709
- Camera filmstrip preview shows partially loaded snapshot for half a second https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=942199
- 1.4 Release
- UX Draft spec review for Ringtones and Camera
- Planning 1.4 sprint to focus on bug fixes, camera, ringtones and nfc sharing
Firefox OS Media Recording (cjku)
Firefox OS Performance (mlee)
- 1.3 Blockers
- Memory, Scrolling FPS, and Perceived Cause & Progress issues.
- Memory tracking automation and footprint improvements.
- Devices distributed to FxOS Perf team this week.
- Tarako device added to automation setup but A*Team troubleshooting outstanding issues; see bug 964588.
- Performance test automation.
- Scrollgraph improvements.
- Continuing to improve Eideticker (Automated Camera Measurements for Perceived Performance).
- Completed production of last 34 FxOS Power harnesses & ammeters; delivered today.
- FxOS Power Tool updated to work with new ammeter.
- FxOS Power Tool Docs updated.
Firefox OS Productivity (doliver)
Firefox OS Radio/Bluetooth/GPS (kenhkchang)
Firefox OS Systems - Front End (gwagner)
Firefox OS Systems - Platform (timdream)
- The Taipei office is closed for Traditional Chinese New Year*.
(* Imply cultural affiliation instead of political, see Political status of Taiwan)
- Sync and Firefox Accounts are now in Aurora (ckarlof)
- Firefox Accounts on FirefoxOS (spenrose). In progress:
The ICU update to a recent version (52.1) landed, finally, so the Internationalization API (
window.Intl.Collator, etc.) should be riding the trains into release now. As part of updating,
intl/update-icu.sh is now a nearly perfectly replayable system -- every local ICU patch is recorded there. If you're writing a local patch to ICU, you must add it to this file -- otherwise we're very likely to lose it next time ICU gets updated!
- Compiler (JIT)
- Garbage Collection
- Front End and Other
- unprefixed box-sizing landed (bug 243412)
- WebRTC and Talkilla teams will both be in MV next week
- Added support for webcams that use Motion JPEG for higher resolutions (update to libjpeg-turbo that we got upstream to adopt)
- Update to libyuv (Haswell ASM support, etc) and moving it to media/libyuv for general availability -- bug 880419
- Fixed major DataChannel Orange-factor regression (bug 892630) from a B2G change (bug 952220)
- More stats and info being added to "about:webrtc" page (now shows which candidate is being used as well as RTP/RTCP stats)
- Fixed some leaks when not responding to a getUserMedia() request
- In WebRTC try to make sure we don't use TURN TCP when UDP works (bug 962371)
- We're planning to land the new HTTP cache (w/o index) on mozilla-central for a few days this week. Keep an eye out for bugs.
- don't freak out if your cache gets very large--the code we land doesn't do eviction yet. Your cache will be cleared when we toggle the pref back.
- HTTP/2 work going well--we're well ahead of Chrome (we've implemented v9, they're at v6). Firefox is the reference HTTP client for most server work at this point
- bug 902587: We now have all main-thread IO being reported to Telemetry
- Initial version of SlowSQL dashboard is ready. Code at , deployed at 
- Roberto Vitillo: Idle wakeups are evil
- Glandium's experiments with a shared complication cache and analysis of ccache efficiency:
- Nathan Froyd: Reducing Firefox footprint, part 1 and part 2
Also check out ask.mozilla.org. As Taras wrote:
A few people noticed that we do not have a nice, searchable knowledge base for Gecko tech. We have places to ask questions such as various newsgroups, irc and places to document things like the wikis. It is hard to search through all of that, so questions get repeated.
Lets give ask.mozilla.org a try. If you see someone asking questions on IRC or newsgroups, please ask them to write the question on ask.m.o and answer it there. If the answer is already documented elsewhere, provide a link in the answer or duplicate it, up to you.
See http://ask.mozilla.org/question/3/why-use-askmozillaorg/?answer=4#post-id-4 for more info :)
- bug 936340 navigator.sendBeacon (https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webperf/raw-file/tip/specs/Beacon/Overview.html) is in review (welcome, rbarnes!)
- Application reputation: bug 928536 for verifying signatures of windows binaries ready to land (mmc)
- CSP: bug 916054 respects paths in url directives for spec compliance (ckerschb)
- Clickjacking/copy-paste jacking: bug 624883 to ban view-source from iframes (welcome, bobowen!)
- work week in SF last week: http://overholt.ca/wp/?p=445
(An opportunity to hear about status with the various quality programs that do not have a formal team structure.)
- Nuwa has been re-landed and backed out twice in the past few days. Hopefully it's close to permanently landing.
- Ben Turner found and Kyle Huey fixed a bad leak involving Bluetooth.
- Past week's OrangeFactor: 8.02 (Previous Week: 11.76).
- Infra issues are significantly improved now and many underlying problems have been fixed in the last week. Thanks to everyone involved in that!
- B2G hangs/timeouts (bug 948395, bug 965677, bug 948895) make up 3 of the top 4 oranges being hit on trunk.
- This morning, desktop B2G mochitests and B2G debug emulator mochitsets were hidden on trunk. Unhiding them is tracked in bug 967588 and bug 967640, respectively.
- The dom-level* tests were disabled on remaining platforms due to ongoing instability. They were disabled on Android in August and OSX in October, with no activity in either of those bugs for fixing and re-enabling them. Fixing and re-enabling them across all platforms is tracked in bug 932350.
- Thanks to Joel Maher for fixing the frequent OSX and Windows talos hangs we had been hitting.
- 21 intermittent failures fixed in the last week - List - Thanks!.
- Overall numbers for outgoing releases/versions look fine, we're waiting on data for new ones, to come later this and early next week.
(Comments and questions that arise during the course of the meeting or otherwise do not have a section.)
Fuzzers Love Assertions (jruderman) Please encourage devs to add assertions for invariants that might lead to security problems.
<Read only beyond this point>
Friends of the Tree
Mailing List Threads
(Threads that are likely to be of interest to engineering from various mailing lists.)
(Links to blog posts, books, videos, etc. that you think will be of interest to others.)
- mleibovic - WIP: Home Page Customization in Firefox for Android
- overholt - DOM, WebAPI, Accessibility, Networking, JS, Security, Add-Ons, and Apps Work Week
- Test the New Firefox Sync on Nightly Release Channel
- ravitillo - Idle wakeups are evil
- glandium - Shared compilation cache experiment
- glandium - Shared compilation cache experiment, part 2
- glandium - Ccache efficiency on Mozilla builders
- froydnj - finding space savings
- froydnj - space saving miscellany
- jruderman - Fuzzers love assertions
irc #planning Log From This Meeting
13:59 KaiRo: lmandel: no stability voice update from me - bsmedberg, do you have anything? 13:59 lmandel: https://wiki.mozilla.org/Platform/2014-02-04 13:59 lmandel: gavin: Desktop update today? 13:59 lmandel: gavin: Haven't heard from desktop in a while 14:03 robcee: having a hard time connecting 14:05 jwalden: workers work, eh 14:05 robcee: heh heh heh 14:07 robcee: vidyo is acting strangely 14:07 robcee: have to disconnect 14:11 jwalden: I'll add those notes to the wiki now 14:12 KaiRo: yay on HTTP/2 14:14 jduell: overholt: you should try to arrange to get all DOM, etc videos put in the airmozilla "Engineering" channel 14:14 jwalden: and JS section updated for ICU/Intl note now 14:14 overholt: jduell, will do 14:14 jduell: I pinged them about Kyle's talk and they switched it over 14:15 overholt: jduell, who'd you ask? 14:15 jduell: overholt: they also filed a bug to make it more wiki-like (so we won't have to ask them to do the channel tag) 14:15 jduell: overholt: I think it was "Daniel"? 14:15 jduell: Let me check my IRC log... 14:16 lmandel: overholt: I think I can help you with that if you send me the links to the videos. 14:16 jduell: overholt: "Richard" (it was on #airmozilla, not sure where he hangs out usually) 14:16 overholt: lmandel, https://air.mozilla.org/how-workers-work/ and https://air.mozilla.org/gecko-cycle-collector-intro/ 14:17 lmandel: overholt: k. will check after this meeting is done 14:17 overholt: jduell, lmandel: thanks 14:17 jduell: lmandel: overholt: note that talks can have "Category: Engineering" yet not be in the "Engineering" channel 14:17 jduell: it's a different frob 14:17 jwalden: assert everything! 14:18 jduell: overholt: lmandel: see also https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=967133