From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« previous mtg | QA Staff Home | next mtg »

QA Staff Meeting Notes February 1, 2012

Meeting Details

 # Every other Weds @ 1:30p Pacific Time - Mozilla HQ, Warp Core 
 # Vidyo:
 # Phone:  +1 650 903 0800 or 650-215-1282 x92 Conf# 95312 (US/INTL)
 #         +1 800 707 2533 (pin 369) Conf# 95312 (US Toll Free)
 #         +1 416 848 3114 x92 Conf# 95312 (Canada)
 # IRC:    irc://

QA Org Items

  • New Hires & Interviews
    • three new community members currently onboarding to work with B2G on Emulator (hopefully test automation):
      • Vlad Maniak (irc vmaniac, email:
      • Leandra Largo
      • Rafael Tso
  • Upcoming Events
    • item
  • PTOs
    • marcia taking some time off during week of February 27
    • mbrandt taking birthday pto on February 6th

Discussion Items

  • Several items from the last meeting were not discussed: See
  • Mozilla Privacy Lead role needs to be filled: - any volunteers?
  • No more All Hands meetings?
  • How does QA get more connected to and represented at some of the work weeks that are going on?
    • Snappy
    • Firefox
  • (DavidB) Check out powerball and try a simple addon to earn points for bugs you file and comment on.

QA Team Updates

Desktop Firefox (Juan)

  • Fx.Next
    • Firefox 11 (ashughes)
      • moving to Beta Wedneday
    • Firefox 12 (juanb)
      • moving to Aurora Wednesday
      • includes Silent Update UAC Service (suppression of UAC dialog on update)
    • Firefox 13 (ashughes)
      • moving to Nightly Tuesday
  • Stability/Crash Investigation
    • RRRT page created for Firefox 10 release
    • Stability Report for this week
    • Will most likely do a CrashKill Brown Bag in the next few weeks.
    • CrashKill team working on an idea for a crash newsletter
  • Maintenance and Security (ashughes)
    • Firefox 3.6.*
      • Released 3.6.26 with unadvertised major update to 10.0, decision to advertise will come after unthrottling 10.0
    • Firefox 10 ESR
      • Released 10.0 (first ESR), 10.1 timeline TBD
    • Sign up for the new Security Triage team if you want to help verify security fixes in the Beta releases
  • Apps - Desktop (jsmith)
    • Mobile World Congress desktop/mobile testing - can the apps run?
      • Test Plan established in line with demo
      • Demo date: February 23rd, 2012
    • Initiated Apps Dashboard plan construction (KPIs, Goals, Data Sources)

Browser Technologies (Tony)

  • (Please fix this section of the template!)
    • Anyone can edit, feel free!
    • Yay! where is the template?

WebQA (Stephen)

  • Affiliates
  • AMO
    • AMO 6.4.0 is going live 02/03.
    • Paypal test is merged
    • MPL2 License is merged
    • Marlena helped with apps testing for MWC most of this week.
  • Engagement Projects
    • Careers is on hold from one bug, release TBD
  • Input
    • Hand-off meeting, Zac Campbell is the new QA Lead on the project
    • Project is still in maintenance mode
    • Test automation still seeing trouble due to staging hardware, bug 664318
    • TellUsMore project is taking precedence over Input at the moment
    • shipped Firefox 10 website updates
  • Mozillians
    • The team is working through hardware/env issues with IT to get a stable dev environment.
  • MDN
    • shipped 2.2 this week
  • Socorro
  • SUMO
    • 1/31 release went out - users are at 25% for Elastic search
    • 2/7 release in process

Community (Marcia)

  • Events
    • FOSDEM?
    • MozCamp Latin America
      • Community Invite list has been created and will be sent out on 2/10 by Katherine. Katherine forwarded the list and it will need edits by 2/6.
      • Katherine will send out a request for Participation on the 10th to all paid staff
        • The deadline for employees to complete this Google form is February 24th
        • By March 1st, all employees will be notified if they have been chosen to attend/give a talk/help with on-site logistics
    • Marcia giving a tech talk at Brown University on 2/22
    • Dare2bDigital?
  • Upcoming Testdays/BugDays/Meetups
    • Thursday, February 2nd: SUMO Questions Day (rbillings)
    • Friday, February 3rd: Firefox 11b1 (ashughes)
    • Friday, February 10th: OPEN, who wants to take it? contact ashughes
    • Friday, February 17th: Test day for Open Web Apps Mobile World Congress Preparation - Open to take?
  • Video Work
  • (retornam):
    • Work to replace the video on the front page of QMO?

QA Automation Service (Henrik, David)

  • General
  • Mozmill
    • Mozmill 1.5.8 has been released
    • Mozmill 1.5.9 is waiting for a released

Project updates

  • Henrik has found a big bug in JSBridge in Mozmill and bisected Python for a fix. Bug now with A*Team
On-Demand system for release Builds (Geo)
  • Proof of Concept system staged in MV
  • Modifications in progress for administrative scripts to allow easier differentiation between x32/x64 machines and other selections.
Case Conductor
  • Slipping a little on release of 0.8 version of CC.
    • Expect release 2/10
    • Still will release 1.0 this quarter. May pare down features a bit to make it happen.
  • Working with IT to get setup for the new build on
    • since it's pure Django now, it's a different (though simpler) setup.
  • Talked with Ubuntu and am working on how Case Conductor can address their testing needs
  • Talked with BITE team from uTest (former Google guys) about their tools and how we can share ideas on Case Conductor.
  • Added support for OWA

Notes, Takeaways and Action Items


  • Add new community members to QA org section as we onboard them
    • Make sure they join the Mozillians phonebook as well
  • Install and give feedback on the Powerball extension that David Burns talked about
  • Are we following up after Test Day to see how things went?
    • Trimming the checklist?

Last Meeting

  • Action Items


QA _ meeting : 02 03 2012

Mobile work week : jmaher + dburns was talking about how to try to get more community involvement
jmaher = addon
dburns = l10n

need a system to have a tasking system : images / system
powerball :
- dburns : proof of concept in powerbolt 
Collect points to help compete against each other
stack overflow + microsoft w/ visual studio do a similar thing
try it and see if it's worth it : viop viop viop.

in the next 2 weeks would be great to have feedback

We got through releasing 10... looks like a pretty darn good release.  no chemspill.  Kudos to firefox team

Highlights, desktop all in the wiki
- see any problems, file bugs.
- Mobile : wiki stuff.  beta
- Sync server side catching on backlog deployment <voip voip>
- focus on l10n next release
- student helping out.

- iOS tablet beta version coming out this quarter
- rest on wiki

- marrionette for test automation
- onboarding 2 community members
	- nice notes on how to get up with B2G
- Fort Lewis College students

- Jason: getting ready for MWC
- demo scripts, and coverage
- cover testcases for this area ; cell phones
- trying to get manual coverage right now; automation to come
: Case Conductor?  -> apps testing -> case conductor in sufficient shape?  Not today.  Maybe next friday
slipped about a week
- manual tests should be put in litmus.  put them out in community and track it
- most of them are prototypes; flow is not necessarily right for litmus/maybe etherpad
- date and when it was run.
- Apps automation, doing great job.  Services.

- shout outs
- stuff on wiki
- no bugs on AMO

- Henrik : just arrived at FOSDEM
- MozCamp Latin America 
- Tech Talk @ Brown
- Ashughes : Mic doesn't work
- can review comments
- trying to hook up community in QA
- trying to put names for onboarding
- have them join mozillians phonebook (for rewards and stuff)

Automation Services:
0.1 : gc/cc addon
- mozmill release
- Henrik bisected python (read wiki on DTC)

- Case conduxtor?
	- cam working with IT; migrating data
	- talk to ubuntu for their needs
	- complex system
	- talked to utest that is working on Byte Project : records what you do and place into case conductor
	- google web apps support
	- next friday: looking to sign off

Geo : On-Demand system for release Builds (Geo) 

Round Table:
-    Add new community members to QA org section as we onboard them
-        Make sure they join the Mozillians phonebook as well 
-    Install and give feedback on the Powerball extension that David Burns talked about 

Used to be really badly silo'ed.
don't get flavor of it if people don't talk about it.
see value in talking about it... at least highlights
"ah crap, I need help"; "This is cool!" should be covered in the meetings
as long as we keep it efficient
top 3 things... don't have to have 3... say the Zinger; don't worry about eh stuff.

Mailing list 
- we do an auto reply and then we jump on it if they reply.
- we haven't had anyone reply to auto reply.
- did the page get redesigned?  No.
- what do we do with it?
- we would like to personally reply or make it more personal; any proposal would be great
- we haven't moved to that system
- we started there and it wasn't rewarding
- but maybe we didn't try enough things to make it friendly?
- ideas are welcome; start a thread in QMO or by mail?
- send an email about that
- Valerie is workign with Juan.  Friendliness is important
- need to talk to legal about that.
- Juan to send out email with history etc. and some ideas.
- maybe by wednesday (community meeting)

Test Day 1/20
- reflections
	- reflected on what happened from 1/20.
	- was a bit of a hassle
	- test day was about test api / writing automation
	- past test day w/ automation : if we are doing test automation test days, we need to reapproach
	- setup time + different systems make it hard for it.
	- more complicated than running basic tests and verifications becomes harder
	- maybe we should do automation test days in parallel rather than bite into basic tests/verifications
	- much harder to get pure community to help out
	- Take away : make sure we address the right audience
	- documentation is out of date, should be better for more platforms, etc.
	- documentation needs to be cleaned up
	- do we have adequate feedback taht the doc needs update?
	- follow up test days?  Any process to review how things went?
	-> Tchung to put up a proposal
	- it takes a lot of prep work for automation test days
	- opportunities to reduce this?
	- we don't have it done frequently enough?  figuring out what emails to send, etc.
	- ashughes put a checklist together.  It is pretty long
	- Not too difficult; just individuals don't do it freq. it takes a while to do
	- other data points?
	- edge case/ "real" bugs?
	- can we automate the checklist?  we can try non automation?  trim down the check list
	- take it from both ends; we have an automation services team... might as well get some benefits from it
	- need to trim the "fat" from the checklist
	- we have limited success with socorro
	- before the test day, having dev buy in ... it helps out a lot
	- helps to off load the stress
- VM ?
	- Al was maintaining the isos.
	- Geo going to do the same; once every 6 months - getting installs in place for windows; reactivate based on different hardware
	- release or prerelease of a new browser : if it does trigger a hardware, etc.
	- QMO handoff done
	- quite a few threads: different visibility between QA, browser id team, discussion on mailing list
- Privacy lead role
	- what does it entail?
	- not sure: tabled that one
	- need clarifications
	- summary : if there's a privacy issue, conduit for legal?  part time role?
	- liason for the team
- no all hands meeting?
	- mentioned in hall way convo?  is that the case?  
	- how do we get more connected in the larger company sense?
	- brown bag w/ metrics, etc. as example
- will QA be involved?
	- yes.