- 1 Telemetry
- 1.1 Accessing the Data
- 1.2 Documentation
- 1.3 Filing Bugs
- 1.4 Tracking Bugs
- 1.5 Communication
It's helpful for Mozilla's engineers and decision-makers to be able to measure how Firefox behaves in the real world. The Telemetry feature provides this capability by sending performance and usage info to Mozilla. As you use Firefox, Telemetry measures and collects non-personal information, such as performance, hardware, usage and customizations. It then sends this information to Mozilla on a daily basis and we use it to improve Firefox.
Accessing the Data
- Instance Telemetry data (collected in your browser) can be viewed by typing about:telemetry into the Firefox URL bar.
- Aggregate Telemetry data from all submissions can be viewed on the Telemetry dashboard at telemetry.mozilla.org.
- Arbitrary custom analyses can be done via analysis.telemetry.mozilla.org.
- Different datasets are available for SQL queries in our re:dash instance.
For Firefox Devs
- MDN: Adding a new Telemetry probe
- Telemetry ping format (in-tree documentation)
- Adding a new Telemetry ping type
- Known Telemetry ping types: Telemetry/PingTypes
- Telemetry Experiments
- Data Pipeline Documentation : CloudServices/DataPipeline
- Choosing a Dataset
- Writing custom analyses:
- Telemetry Errata: outages & known issues with collected Telemetry data
- Telemetry Twitter account
- Heka dashboard showing Telemetry health, in particular the page showing submission rates & sizes
For Firefox Users
- Mozilla Support: Send performance data to Mozilla to help improve Firefox
- Mozilla Support: How can I help by submitting mobile performance data?
- Telemetry and User Control: FAQ
Telemetry client (in product) bugs should be filed in Toolkit::Telemetry.
Data Pipeline related bugs should be filed in Metrics::Pipeline
Telemetry dashboard bugs should be filed in Webtools::Telemetry Dashboard
Open Telemetry bugs are usually organized as a blocker for one of the following tracking bugs:
- Desired Telemetry measurements / probes
- Telemetry data quality issues
- Tracking for desired Telemetry dashboards
- Telemetry cleanup work
- Telemetry ping size issues
- Tracking about:telemetry work and improvements
|Asking questions||#telemetry on irc.mozilla.org||devs|
|General discussion||dev-platform and fhr-dev list||devs|
|Announcements||dev-platform, dev-planning lists||all|