- 1 Telemetry
- 1.1 Seeing the Collected Data
- 1.2 Documentation
- 1.3 Filing Bugs
- 1.4 Tracking Bugs
- 1.5 Communication
- 1.6 People
- 1.7 Reference
It's helpful for Mozilla's engineers and decision-makers to be able to measure how Firefox behaves in the real world. The Telemetry feature provides this capability by sending performance and usage info to Mozilla. As you use Firefox, Telemetry measures and collects non-personal information, such as performance, hardware, usage and customizations. It then sends this information to Mozilla on a daily basis and we use it to improve Firefox.
Seeing the Collected Data
- Instance Telemetry data (collected in your browser) can be viewed by typing about:telemetry into the Firefox URL bar.
- Aggregate Telemetry data from all submissions can be viewed on the Telemetry dashboard at telemetry.mozilla.org.
- Arbitrary custom analyses can be done via analysis.telemetry.mozilla.org.
- Different datasets are available for SQL queries in our re:dash instance.
For Firefox Devs
- MDN: Adding a new Telemetry probe
- Telemetry ping format (in-tree documentation)
- Custom payloads uploaded by Telemetry:
- Loop (aka Firefox Hello) "ICE Failures" payload (with payload.reason="loop")
- ...there are others
- Adding a new Telemetry ping type
- Telemetry Experiments
- Telemetry back-end design: CloudServices/DataPipeline#Pipeline_specs.2Fdocs
- Known Telemetry ping types: Telemetry/PingTypes
- Available Datasets and their Applications
- List of Telemetry tools (dashboards, custom analyses, and others)
- Telemetry analysis & dashboarding overview
- Writing custom analysis jobs:
- Working with the longitudinal dataset:
- Telemetry Errata: outages & known issues with collected Telemetry data
- Telemetry Twitter account
- Heka dashboard showing Telemetry health, in particular the page showing submission rates & sizes
New "unified" Telemetry that replaces FHR:
- Telemetry code in desktop Firefox
- Telemetry dashboard code
- AWS Telemetry backend code - soon to be superceded by the next generation backend
For Firefox Users
- Mozilla Support: Send performance data to Mozilla to help improve Firefox
- Mozilla Support: How can I help by submitting mobile performance data?
- Telemetry and User Control: FAQ
Telemetry client (in product) bugs should be filed in Toolkit::Telemetry.
Telemetry dashboard bugs should be filed in Webtools::Telemetry Dashboard
Telemetry data related bugs should be filed in Webtools::Telemetry Server
Open Telemetry bugs are usually organized as a blocker for one of the following tracking bugs:
- Desired Telemetry measurements / probes
- Telemetry data quality issues
- Tracking for desired Telemetry dashboards
- Telemetry cleanup work
- Telemetry ping size issues
- Tracking about:telemetry work and improvements
|Asking questions||#telemetry on irc.mozilla.org||devs|
|General discussion||dev-platform and fhr-dev list||devs|
|Announcements||dev-platform, dev-planning lists||all|
|Product||Benjamin Smedberg, Vladan Djeric|
|Client Engineering||Vladan Djeric, Georg Fritzsche, Alessio Placitelli|
|Server Engineering||Mark Reid|
|Data Analysis||Roberto Vitillo|
Out of date: