It's helpful for Mozilla's engineers to be able to measure how Firefox behaves in the real world. The Telemetry feature provides this capability by sending performance and usage info to Mozilla. As you use Firefox, Telemetry measures and collects non-personal information, such as performance, hardware, usage and customizations. It then sends this information to Mozilla on a daily basis and we use it to improve Firefox.
Telemetry is a joint project between Engineering and Metrics with Engineering owning the in product Telemetry client and Metrics owning the Telemetry server side.
Accessing Telemetry Data
Aggregate Telemetry data from all submissions can be viewed on the Telemetry dashboard at telemetry.mozilla.org.
Instance Telemetry data (collected in your browser) can be viewed by typing about:telemetry into the Firefox URL bar.
- Mozilla Support: Send performance data to Mozilla to help improve Firefox
- Mozilla Support: How can I help by submitting mobile performance data?
- Telemetry and User Control: FAQ
Telemetry client (in product) bugs should be filed in Toolkit::Telemetry.
Telemetry dashboard bugs should be filed in Mozilla Metrics::Frontend Reports
Telemetry data related bugs should be filed in Mozilla Metrics::Data/Backend Reports
|Announcements||dev-platform and dev-planning lists||all|
|General discussion||dev-platform list||devs|
|Metrics meetings|| Alternate Thursdays, 1pm PT
||Perf and Metrics reps|
|Meeting summaries||this wiki||all|
- Nov 25, 2012 Vladan Djeric: New about:telemetry page in Firefox 19
- Jul 25, 2012 Taras Glek: Telemetry and What It Is Good for: Part 2: Telemetry Achievements
- Jul 25, 2012 Taras Glek: Telemetry and What It Is Good for: Part 1: Nuts and Bolts
- May 20, 2012 Theo Chevalier: Telemetry enabled by default on Firefox Nightly and Aurora
- May 16, 2012 Lawrence Mandel: Sign in to Telemetry with Persona
- Apr 12, 2012 Lawrence Mandel: Telemetry Data Issues – Status and Summary
- Jan 24, 2012 Pedro Alves: Firefox Telemetry - From adhoc R analysis to CDE Dashboards
- Dec 13, 2011 Saptarshi Guha: Comparing the Bias in Telemetry Data vs The Typical Firefox User
- Sep 27, 2011 Sid Stamm: Building Privacy Into Telemetry
- Sep 27, 2011 Hacks: Firefox 7: Telemetry
- Sep 20, 2011 Taras Glek: Firefox 7: Telemetry
- Jul 6, 2011 Asa Dotzler: Telemetry in Firefox
- Jul 1, 2011 Taras Glek: Telemetry Status
- Jun 27, 2011 Taras Glek: Telemetry is on in Nightly Firefox builds
- Jun 22, 2011 Taras Glek: Developers: How To Submit Telemetry Data
- May 13, 2011 Taras Glek: Firefox Telemetry
Minutes and Progress Reports
|Program Management||Lawrence Mandel, Annie Elliott|
|Client Engineering||Taras Glek, Nathan Froyd, Vladan Djeric|
|Server Engineering||Daniel Einspanjer|
|Incoming Bug Triage||Taras Glek, Lawrence Mandel|