From MozillaWiki
Jump to: navigation, search

« previous week | index | next week »

Thunderbird Meeting Details :

Remember to use headphones and mute yourself when not talking

Feel free to ask questions in the meeting either by speaking up or by asking them in #maildev on IRC.

Other ways to get in touch with us can be found on our communications page


  • Who's taking minutes? --> mconley
  • Minute taking Schedule. Talk to Standard8 for schedule changes/additions.
  • Note: this meeting is for interactive discussion. Feel free to ask questions!

Action Items

Friends of the Tree

  • No nominations this week.

Thanks to our Friend of the Tree. When adding someone to this section, please get their T-Shirt size, phone number (needed for shipping!) and send it to that she can send them a shirt!

Thunderbird Development

Feature Work

Test Pilot
Filelink (Big Files)
  • patch was reviewed last week (see bug 767327)
    • A new patch just went up, which mconley'll be reviewing soon - hopefully by the end of the week.
  • Still no activity from SpiderOak.
Instant Messaging

Google Summer of Code Projects

App Tabs for Thunderbird

Done: make App Tabs not scrollable. Todo: close button for App Tabs, refactor.

Improving GMail Integration
Get ISPDB into Production
'No reply' reminder for Thunderbird

Schedule and Progress

  • Next merge date: 27 August
  • For information about channels, point people here -
  • If you have changes that you need to land in beta, your hard deadline is August 20th. Sooner is way better.
Support for Mac OS X 10.5
  • Support for Mac OS X 10.5 is being dropped in Thunderbird/Firefox 17, see this thread for more info.
Beta Version
  • Another beta being built starting today, picking up lots of chat improvements.

Extension of the week

QA Updates

Marketing Updates

  • A new What's New page for Thunderbird 15 is being worked on
  • We're working on a program for integrating Open Badges into our contributor program
    • rkent has some mixed feeling about the badge program - do experienced developers really *want / need* these things?
      • Anne-Marie mentions that we also want to recognize younger developers, people who are trying to make a name for themselves
      • rkent is often surprised at what motivates people.
      • Jb thinks we need to do what we can to retain our important community members, but we also need to diversify and broaden the community - beyond engineering, and into marketing and business development as well.
      • sancus thinks that Open Badges are super awesome and that they'd motivate him a lot
  • And we're working on MozCamp too.

Build / Release Update

  • rail is doing this week's beta, releng is having their off-site in SFO

Web Update



Lightning Updates

Status Updates

See the Mozilla Status Board for status updates specific to developers.

Roundtable Highlights

  • There is a sense in the community that Mozilla we'll be committed to Thunderbird for the next ESR, but after that, they're on their own.
  • Jb responds: we're quite confident that the ESR program will be renewed beyond TB 24.
    • Both Firefox ESR and B2G will be carrying on with the ESR, so it's likely that TB ESR will also be perpetuated.
    • There's no reason at this point why Mozilla should stop the Thunderbird support commitment.
    • There is a high chance that we will be supporting TB for many years, but there are still a few things up in the air before we can say that with absolute certainty.
    • "For the foreseeable future" might be the right phrase for this. There's a bit of a perception problem, because people think we're EOLing TB.
    • rkent says: TB is more important for enterprises and offices…so we can't be tied to FF's position on the Enterprise
      • Jb: The TB team isn't in a position where we can really influence this beyond expressing a need.
  • What is the status of MailDir?
    • David Bienvenu was working on it. Last we heard, some of the tests were still failing (XPCShell when applied to maildir). He wanted to finish it off, but he needs more time. He hasn't committed to finishing it, but he's like to finish it if possible.
  • What is the obstacle to Lightning integration with the product?
    • This has been an ongoing discussion. Shipping it means that we endorse the product, and take on the responsibility of managing and maintaining it, which is kind of outside of the scope of TB. It's a significant piece of code to maintain and take ownership of. We're exploring better ways of packaging Lightning with Thunderbird (beSpoke, for example).
    • rkent asks: Doesn't this mean that Lightning === Thunderbird in terms of support commitment?
      • Jb: No, not at all. We're committed to supporting users using Thunderbird. We don't make any such commitment with Lightning.
  • In Jb's original email - there's 2 releases, there's the ESR release, and some other release (based off of the ESR codebase). How are we not going to get totally busted when switching to the NEXT ESR? We're having a hard enough time fixing m-c breakage each 6 weeks
    • Jb / Standard8: We'll maintain comm-central along-side the ESR releases. There's still a lot of fuzziness around Aurora and Beta, and what we're going to do there.
      • But we WILL be keeping comm-central working. We're committed to keeping TB up to date with Gecko.
  • What is the sense of the user community in terms of the responsiveness of the TB development team?
    • Nobody is getting ignored on GetSatisfaction or Bugzilla… but we're understaffed, overworked, there are 24 hours in the day, and stuff falls off the radar sometimes. :/
    • Hopefully the paper cuts initiative will help deal with some of these.