Meeting: Mobile Web Compatibility Weekly Agenda: https://etherpad.mozilla.org/webcompat Chair: Karl Scribe: Mike Regrets:
- 1 Topic: next meeting
- 2 Topic: Web Compatibility Work Week (lawrence)
- 3 Topic: Chinese Web sites (hallvord)
- 4 Topic: xml as text for wap (karl)
- 5 Topic: Weekly project meeting updates (mike)
- 6 Topic: Work in progress bugs contactready vs sitewait
- 7 Topic: Broken Voices of the Web
- 8 Topic: Things which have been discussed
- 9 Topic: Web Compatibility Progress
- 10 Tracked Actions
Topic: next meeting
Next meeting: The next meetings will be on January 20, 2014
- mike: Next Monday is a holiday in USA, so I won't be attending, we'll need someone to volunteer as scribe.
- adam: I'll do it.
Topic: Web Compatibility Work Week (lawrence)
There will be a Web Compatibility work week from Feb 3 to Feb 7 included in Mountain View, California, USA at Mozilla office. Are volunteers for Work week will be invited? yes! Everyone has booked? yes Agenda for the week (someone take the responsibility)? Meeting Google? Others?
- karl: Should we create an agenda?
- lawrence: Absolutely. I prefer at least a tentative agenda for work weeks. We should spend a day of webcompat.com, but I'm interested in what others topics we should work on. One thing that's useful is to ask what we think we should get out of it beforehand so we can evaluate if we've met our goals. I'll create an etherpad or wiki page where we can dump ideas. Do we want to try to meet with Google, etc?
- mike: I can ask my friend Angus for twitter meeting too for mobile issues on firefox android/firefox os.
- lawrence: I know someone as well at Twitter I can reach out to. Perhaps Pinterest? It might be good to spend an afternoon to build relationships. Let's go ahead and dump ideas here in this etherpad and create an agenda section.
Fill the work week agenda on Etherpad (bottom of the page)
Topic: Chinese Web sites (hallvord)
Hallvord has worked on many chinese Web sites. Additional findings since the raw stats. Things we should learn for the next survey of this type?
- karl: There has been a surge of work related to Chinese web sites thanks to Hallvord. Any findings or things you would like to share?
- hallvord: I've been playing around with efficient ways to use the information we get from automated testing. I'm still figuring out the process, using marionette, compatipede, and another script using phantomjs to take screenshots. Right now I'm comparing screenshots and if it appears there are issues I dig into the errors reported in our compatipede database. So we have lots of analyzed bugs just waiting for a Chinese volunteer to help with contacting, or some Chinese Mozilla staff.
- lawrence: Did you test with the Chinese fork of Fennec w/ WebKit support?
- hallvord: no
- lawrence: It's something to keep in mind, as it may complicate verifiying things.
- karl: Are you creating bugs by hand? Or do you have a button to push?
- hallvord: I'm doing it by hand now. I'm waiting on web interface that seif is working on.
- mike: I was also curious about an interface that we could push URLs to or create reports.
- hallvord: It's coming but there are some security concerns with pushing arbitrary URLs, etc. It should be fine for everyone on the team, or at least people with ssh access. It also shouldn't be too hard to add the ability to automatically upload side by side comparisons of screenshots to Bugzilla.
- karl: I was also wondering if there was a difference between mainland China and Tawainese sites.
- hallvord: I don't know. This list seems of mixed quality, I'm unsure if there are Taiwanese sites in it.
Topic: xml as text for wap (karl)
Error message and or results not very helpful for users. Should we open a bug to encourage something friendlier?
- karl: The kinds of error messages users get when pages are sent with the WAP mimetype aren't very useful (similar for XML parsing errors). Should we open a bug on this?
- miketaylr: It seems it is just a question of changing the string.
- hallvord: It seems the standard behavior on Android is to download the file. Is there an actual error message? Should we push for an actual error message in the browser itself, rather than a download?
- lawrence: I think it's worth raising a question, perhaps on dev-b2g mailing list it's interesting.
Topic: Weekly project meeting updates (mike)
We'll (try to) given an update during the weekly project meeting about important things related to web compat that happened during the week.
- mike: some other projects give status update. So I did it today on Weekly Updates. It's a very short 60 second updates.
- lawrence: we did in the past for broader topics.
- mike: let me share the minutes Web Compatibility Status update
- lawrence: I like this idea. Might be a good way to ask for contacts to specific companies.
- mike: after talking about the m3u8 bug brought on the meeting, more people participated.
- lawrence: The stuff listed there is good and handy.
- adam: We could have a top ten list of sites it might be worth to advertise the list.
- lawrence: calling out some major sites might be useful.
- mike: We don't need to have much process around that. Send it to me. I will take the responsibility of doing it every week (when not on holidays).
- lawrence: On the topic of the project meeting, when we're in M(oun)T(ain)V(iew) I'd like to introduce us all as a group.
Topic: Work in progress bugs contactready vs sitewait
- adam: I do have one question. If we have a bug that's related to something that's WIP, e.g., M3U8 playlist for FxOS, if there's a bug that's contactready, should it not be contactready?
- hallvord: If there's a bug that's only broken because we lack M3U8 support, we should hold off on contacting them.
- adam: should I change the whiteboard tag?
- hallvord: I've been using [notcontactready], as a sort of a joke. You could also just remove the contactready and add a dependency.
- mike: We should document [notdocumentready] and use that. Sounds good.
- karl: I'll document it.
Topic: Broken Voices of the Web
Check the Planet Web Compatibility for the community news. Here a few posts lately published.
- 2014-01-10 - Thanks Google? by mike
- 2014-01-08 - User Agent Switcher XML file by mike
- 2014-01-06 - Old browsers, does it matter? by karl
Topic: Things which have been discussed
- karl (moved there) and hallvord (a couple of months) are in Japan. Things possible to do when we are in Japan with regards to Web compatibility in Japan and asian region.
- Content planning for webcompat.com
- -webkit- table equivalents
- What has been done in 2013 report
- Tee-shirt design
- M3u8 and firefox
- UA override management script
- CSS Problem finder
Topic: Web Compatibility Progress
FIXED (no DUPLICATE)
- Detectizr lib detects Firefox OS tablet UA device.model as ""null"" 2014-01-07 FIXED
- m.crunchyroll.com can’t play a video 2014-01-07 WONTFIX
- Poor experience with m.yahoo.com (general page) 2014-01-06 WORKSFORME
- wap.abchina.com sends WAP page 2014-01-07 INVALID
- 3g.shike.org.cn sends WAP page 2014-01-07 INVALID
- wap.jobcn.com sends WAP page 2014-01-07 INVALID
- wap.zcarw.com sends WAP page 2014-01-07 INVALID
- yetuba.com sends WAP page 2014-01-07 INVALID
- 9xiao.cn sends WAP page 2014-01-07 INVALID
- usopen.org sends desktop content to FirefoxOS 2014-01-06 FIXED
- maruccisports.com doesn't recognize B2G UA as mobile 2014-01-06 FIXED
- Selecting any menu option on Google Plus mobile site on FxAndroid does nothing 2014-01-05 FIXED
- thedailybanter.com does not work in Firefox for Android 2014-01-06
- Messy rendering on Yahoo Japan mobile site 2014-01-06
- mixi.jp sends the desktop version for Firefox on Mobile 2014-01-06
- handsetdetection.com does not recognize B2G as mobile device 2014-01-07
- sina.cn sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- news.3g.cn sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- wap.lexun.com sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- tx.com.cn sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- mp3.3g.cn sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- novel.iask.cn sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- kong.net sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- youyuan.com sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- wap.51.com sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- wap.ip138.com sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- 3g.pp.cn sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- lady.3g.net.cn sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- wap.3ggpw.cn sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- 3g.163.com sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- wap.ifeng.com sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- wenwen.wap.soso.com sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- wap.ireader.com sends WAP page 2014-01-07
- livedoor.com delivers desktop content to Firefox OS 2014-01-07
- vip.com sends Firefox OS to Desktop site 2014-01-07
- m.xxsy.net - webkit styling breaks layout 2014-01-07
- smart.mail.163.com - some odd rendering on login page 2014-01-07
- m.qzone.com login page - background to large, makes header messy 2014-01-08
- weather1.sina.cn sends simplified mobile page to Firefox OS 2014-01-08
- m.xiangha.com - broken rendering of navigation menu 2014-01-08
- m.guahao.com sends Firefox OS to desktop site 2014-01-08
- B2G Browser nydailynews.com serves desktop site to b2g (which can result in tab crashing) 2014-01-08
- m.qunar.com does not automatically redirect to touch.qunar.com 2014-01-08
- wap.elong.com does not automatically redirect to m.elong.com 2014-01-08
- tmall.com does not automatically redirect to m.tmall.com 2014-01-08
- m.lashou.com sends simplified site to Firefox OS 2014-01-08
- wap.2kk.mobi sends desktop site to Firefox OS 2014-01-08
- hotmail.com / mail.live.com sends desktop content to Firefox OS 2014-01-08
- book.easou.com sends simplified mobile page to Firefox OS and Firefox on Android 2014-01-08
- m.idnes.cz offers simple content for Firefox OS 2014-01-09
- m.hongshu.com navigation rendering broken due to -webkit- CSS for flexbox 2014-01-09
- m.cntv.cn links to M3U8 files to play video, doesn't work on Firefox OS 2014-01-09
- mt.hupu.com/nba redirects to simplified mobile site 2014-01-09
- m.taobao.com sends a different site for Firefox OS/Firefox Android than on Android stock browser. 2014-01-09
- goo.ne.jp sends desktop content to Firefox OS 2014-01-09
- broken rendering on rakuten mobile top page 2014-01-09
- ameba.jp shows blank page when browsing Firefox Android 2014-01-09
- abudhabiairport.ae doesn't redirect to mobile site on Firefox OS 2014-01-10
- tripit.com doesn't recognize B2G UA as mobile 2014-01-10
- tripit.com mobile landing page doesn't display gradients correctly 2014-01-10
- tripcase.com doesn't recognize B2G UA as mobile 2014-01-10
- tripcase.com mobile site doesn't display gradients correctly 2014-01-10
- Google News - Tablet experience in Chrome for Android superior to Firefox for Android 2014-01-10
- m.mlb.com - issues with video playback in Fennec and B2G 2014-01-10
- The page is not displayed properly, and clicking on tabs doesn't work 2014-01-12
- hexin.cn sends Firefox OS simplified page 2014-01-13
- m.sogou.com sends simplified site to Firefox OS 2014-01-13
- m.hao123.com 2014-01-13
(move the DONE action items below and add the string DONE and possibly link to the record)
- TODO-20130805-02: hallvord to test in bulk if Web sites are still working with a device information into the UA string Firefox OS. (Bug 901039)