Kuma launched August 3, 2012. This page is now an archive of the pre-launch process
"Kuma" is a project to redevelop the MDN website. We will leverage the Kitsune codebase that the new SUMO is built on and plan to customize it to fit our needs. The Kitsune knowledge base (KB) will replace the current Deki wiki, and we will be integrating the Kitsune support forums and discussion forums as needed. Kuma will also benefit from Kitsune l10n, administration, and social interaction features.
- Improve the MDN experience for developers, demo authors, and documentation contributors.
- Make it easier for planning, writing, and maintaining docs
- Make it discoverable to help developers find what they need
- Make it faster and more stable for visitors and contributors
- Make it extensible to allow rapid development of new features
- Create a more robust system for l10n contributors
- Better tracking and diffs so they know when en-US authors create new docs, update existing docs, or do anything for en-US
- Dashboard for l10n progress and monitoring so locales can better manage their work
We plan to develop the initial functionality and test internally through a series of MDN 1.x releases, and will launch Kuma officially as MDN 2.0 in July 2012.
Roadmap & Milestones
8-30 June - testing (formal and informal) 7-8 July - bug hunt with Mozilla QA 10 July - deki shut off for updates (browse only) - final content migration, link to kuma "beta" for browsing 10-15 July - writing/editing on kuma, continue testing, verify bug fixes 16 July - cutover
See the MDN Milestones page for a detailed roadmap and release schedule.
We are ramping up testing as we approach the launch of Kuma!
- Informal test weekend: Friday, May 11 through Sunday, May 13
- 8 June - 10 June: Informal test weekend
- 14 June - 30 June: Test Adding and Editing Content (usual site activities)
- 7 July - 8 July: bug hunting with Mozilla QA
- 9-13 July - bug and template fixes, editing content on kuma platform
- Address: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=Kuma&list_id=334028
- Purpose: Assign tasks and track resolutions.
- Please use this Bug template.
- UserVoice: Feedback on the current MDN website.
- Localization: We need to review and see what is possible based on the requests of localizers around the world.
- Kuma related requirements/notes
- Other stuff
- MDN programs and projects - home for everything related to the Mozilla Developer Network
- MDN requirements - initial set of features and functionality we need for a good developer and documentation experience on MDN (more stuff will be added over time and a final PRD will be drafted soon)
- Kitsune roadmap and requirements - home for everything related to the next version of SUMO
- Overlap doc - early draft of the features that are shared between SUMO and MDN (more details will be added and unique features/tweaks for each application will be noted)
New MDN IA
MDN 1.0 PRD
A draft of the MDN 1.0 PRD lists most of the features that are needed to start the migration away from Deki. The document includes a list of features and their priorities.
Kitsune and overlap with SUMO
The documents below outline requirement overlap in SUMO and the MDN. We will collaborate with the SUMO development team to understand what is available in the Kitsune codebase and work through our requirements to build a solid foundation for the MDN website based on the Django framework.
The team decided that it would be easiest to manage Scrum user stories with Bugzilla, and has written a guide for doing so.
Comprehensive Feature Request List
A comprehensive list of features that have been requested on MDN is provided below. Each feature has its own Wiki page that provides more detail and, in some cases, specific tasks that must be completed.
This list is a compilation and formalization of existing feature lists (including the feature EtherPad, the MDN 1.0 PRD, and the MDN / SUMO Shared Components PRD), and as such is fairly comprehensive.
|Wiki||Editorial tools||P3||July 2012||some features|
|Wiki||Code embedding||P3||July 2012|
|Wiki||File attachments||P2||July 2012|
|Wiki||Print and export||P4||TBD|
|Search||External search results||P5||TBD|
|Search||Improved search relevancy||P3||TBD||some features available in July|
|Localization||Change tracking for en-US||July 2012|
|Localization||Localization request queue||July 2012||some features pushed to post-launch|
|Localization||Metrics by language||P3||TBD|
|Localization||Localized tags and categories||P3||TBD|
|Localization||Phrase translation service||P4||TBD|
|Localization||Maintain association between localizations||P1||July 2012|
|Content Management||Delete and restore||July 2012||Restore function post-launch|
|Content Management||Compare two versions of a page||P2||July 2012|
|Content Management||Mark pages, subtrees, etc. as read-only||P3||TBD|
|Content Management||Metrics for doc activity||P1||July 2012|
|Content Management||Queries and batch processing of docs||P2||TBD||some features in July 2012|
|Content Management||Endorse or bump articles||P4||TBD|
|Engagement||"Tweet this" button||P4||TBD|
|Engagement||Article promotion widgets||P3||TBD|
|Site Admin||Tag management||P2||TBD||some features in July|
|Site Admin||No tags for talk or user pages||P3||TBD|
|Site Admin||RSS feeds||P2||July 2012||only for edits in first release|
|Site Admin||User management||P1||July 2012|
|Site Admin||Site-wide announcements||P2||July 2012|
|Site Admin||Easily customize CSS||P2||TBD|
|Site Admin||Logs in the admin panel||P2||July 2012|
|Site Admin||HTTP browsing||P3||TBD|
|Users||User authentication||P1||July 2012|
|Demos||Demo JSFiddle integration||TBD|
|Migration||Content cleanup||July 2012|
|Migration||URL namespaces||July 2012|
|API||Allow apps to access docs||TBD|
|API||Mark selection as definition||TBD|