- Wednesdays - 9:30am Pacific, 12:30pm Eastern, 16:30 UTC
- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 99998
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 99998
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 99998
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 99998
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 99998
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 99998
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 99998
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 99998
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- irc.mozilla.org #mobile for backchannel
- Mobile Vidyo Room
- Firefox 30 has shipped
- Next merge: 2014-07-21
Topics for This Week
- Fx32 Post-Merge
- We decided to disable two uses of ButtonToast in Fx32 on Aurora: Disable undo close tab toast (bug 1023406) and Disable switch-to-new-tab button toast (bug 1023407)
- Video Casting and Roku
- We made a quiet push for Nightly testing of the video casting feature. We are working toward adding more device support in Fx33 and will prepare a louder push for that timeframe.
- Firefox Search
- We are moving forward on multiple fronts: UX is focusing on an MVP on which we can build. Dev is iterating with UX on the designs. Dev is working to get the code in mozilla-central. We added a bugzilla category and bugs are being filed. Project page is here.
Friends of the Mobile Team
Give a shoutout/thanks to people for helping fix and test bugs. Make sure friends also get awarded a badge. New contributors are highlighted in bold.
- Shout-out to all our awesome localizers! Maybe we should make a new badge for them :)
- Special thanks to Pascal Chevrel for organizing localization efforts for our goal.com and Home Feeds add-ons!
- What did you do last week?
- What are working on this week?
- Anything blocking you?
Please keep your update to under 2 minutes!
James W. (snorp)
Alan K. (ack)
- PTO Friday
<Read Only> Attending pre-school graduation.
- Last Week: Got Linux WebRTC standalone compiling and functioning. Started developing standalone player and browser tab streaming add-on.
- This Week: Continue work on player and add-on
- Gonzales (https://wiki.mozilla.org/Mobile/Gonzales)
- Landed caching (in-memory and Redis) (on develop branch)
- Evaluated logging solutions (no decision yet)
- Async request handling
- More caching work (standard-conformance, better Redis integration)
- Look into Flash -> Shumway preprocessing
- Look into using promises instead of callbacks + synchronize
- Merged image compression into Gonzales
- Tracked a bug (still in progress)
- Add a test framework to Gonzales
- Find the bug
Continuing work on native Java MediaCodec and MediaExtractor use for video playback on Android.
- Landed bug 1020440 (rAc interfaces and stubs)
- WIP bug 1011712 - Reader mode contextual hint
- Filed/working on rAc bugs: bug 1020618, bug 1020616, bug 1020607, bug 1020602
- Bug 1018468 - Provide fullscreen button for video. r+. landing today
- Bug 1018160 - [Tablet] Some entries are missing from the Context Menu when performing an image search on google.
- Bug 1004495 - Tapping on a download notification doesn't do anything (if Firefox is in the background). Revamp of Notification.jsm API (but holding backwards compat to the old api for now. Waiting for reviews
- Bug 1001309 - Provide a way to clear history when Fennec's put into the background. Waiting fore reviews.
- Bug 1006158 - Build against Android v7 support library and Google Play Services. r+. hopefully landing (disabled) today.
- 997765 - Define initial list of suggested sites to ship with Fennec
- 912512 - Firefox logo is not vertically centered in about:home thumbnail
- Finishing "Remove Suggested Sites" (bug 1010266)
- Fallout from Reading list cleanup (bug 1022238)
- More various telemetry (bug 1018433)
- Next: contextual hints, first run?
- Working on button toast follow-ups - bug 1019318, bug 1019735
- Ready to land patch for close all tabs - bug 817716
- Dusting off patch for recent tabs panel - bug 1004850
- More search activity discussion
- Going to be in Toronto next Tue-Thur (for fun, but working in the office)
- 1017045 - Wrong tabs are restored via the undo ability after closing multiple tabs at once; the last tab closed is used as the undo for all closed tabs
- 1017912 - Restore tab in correct position when undoing close tab
- 1018661 - Closing zombified tab results in "closed about:blank" toast
- 1018337 - page title for neterror pages is used for the undo close tab super toast
- 1021123 - Improve colors in remote tabs pull-to-refresh
- 1020730 - URL of closed tab is cut off and shows only "http:/..."
- 1021163 - Animate tab close upwards in horizontal tabs tray
Starting to add Firefox Search to MC.
- Some (many?) things will get rewritten
- Review help from mleibovich
- Build help from nalexander
Working on Robocop related Android 2.3 test failures (via bug 979921).
- bug 1019595 - Lack of contrast on editing mode's 'X' button when using a lightweight theme
- bug 932208 - BrowserToolbar and HomeFragment context menu 'Share' option should be disabled for these protocols: about:// chrome:// file://
- bug 1002303 - Provide a description on private tabs page if there are no private tabs
- bug 998000 - Create BrowserApp.cancelEditingMode for consistency with BrowserApp.enter/commitEditingMode
- bug 1022668 - crash in java.lang.NullPointerException: at org.mozilla.gecko.toolbar.BrowserToolbar.startEditing(BrowserToolbar.java)
- bug 1007442 - Tune visual for not-signed-in remote tabs tray
- [meta] bug 979921 - Android 2.3 test failures
- Too busy with other things:
- bug 983437 - Delay FHR pruning until the screen is off
- bug 989441 - Centralized documentation for writing tests
- bug 1021751 - Homepage contextual hint
- Reviewing the megaupgrade hotfix.
- Working on peripheral locale bugs.
- BrowserDB stuff now leaves telemetry traces.
- Ripped out non-synthetic webapp code.
- Annoyance with fonts in locale picker: bug 1023451
- Working through distro-distro dependencies -- don't load distros for webapps, etc.
- Miscellaneous reviews et al
- Removing beautiful switch-to-new-tab ButtonToast on Aurora bug 1023407
- Integrating Search Activity into m-c bug 1021864
- Possibly helping integrate MozStumbler into m-c (bug needed!)
- Not thrilled with the plan outlined in https://wiki.mozilla.org/MozStumbler-Firefox-Mobile. I propose that we integrate MozStumbler in a manner similar to Search Activity, as (essentially) it's own sub-project.
- bug 1016747 - add android protocol handler to proxy input streams to Gecko
- bug 1019836 - Support narrow char strings in android bridge
- worked on
- bug 1014712 - use msapplication-TileImage and msapplication-TileColor to create home page tiles
- bug 1013588 - Gecko-based Android launcher
- Q3 goal planning with other Android team leads
- Looking into UI Telemetry and FHR data
- Small patches
- Made some short videos showing off some Firefox features.
- Q3 Planning
- Interviewing designers
- Defining MVP for Firefox Search, also we'll be doing an in-person hack week in about a month
- Contemplating Whimsy
- Followed up with Deb on prioritizing tablet work
- Synced up tab design with desktop UX: http://cl.ly/413Y1Y421t3S
- Interviewed mobile design candidates
- Sync up tablet design with Anthony
- Onboarding design strategy. Would like to share initial ideas with UX, Product, and Chenxia
- UI/UX touch-ups around "toolbar"/browser chrome with Lucasr
- keeping Tablets in mind
- (on going) Search UX work
- (in progress) Visual polishes on lots of bugs (snippets, empty trays, video controls, etc)
- (in progress) bug 1014848 - Improve interactions for "toolbar" (activating/deactivating awesome bar)
- (in progress) bug 1019318 - Polish button toast appearance
- (in progress) bug 1014335 - Make "Pull to Refresh" in Synced Tabs and Home Panels feel excellent.
MozStumbler github, splitting code for a reusable Fennec component. Hope to have first iteration of this done this week, and have something I can test reliably in my Fennec build.
Summary of Fennec work: https://wiki.mozilla.org/MozStumbler-Firefox-Mobile Always looking for input on the integration project, particularly the 'outstanding items'. None of those items are blockers ATM.
Blocked on quickie integration of Stumbler code into Fennec, I want to be building Fennec+Stumbler and MozStumbler simultaneously
- rnewman removed old runtime implementation in bug 1021342 - MOZ_ANDROID_SYNTHAPKS is extinct
- platform bug 1008126 regressed XHR in workers and thus APK downloads; fix landed in bug 1022607 and needs uplift to Aurora
- puzzled by app perf problem bug 1023571
- bug 995803 - crash in java.lang.IllegalStateException - uplifted
- bug 1019054 - Uninstalling webapps doesn't seem to work properly - inbound; candidate for uplift?
- bug 957067 - Pass back error when incorrect data passed through in install APK - fixed
- bug 1013428 - mozilla-apk-cli App Updates side-loaded don't appear - fixed
- bug 1013433 - uninstalling, resideloading, and relaunching app causes it to stall at white screen - fixed
- bug 960584 - notify user of download progress indication when fetching APK - needs feedback ibarlow
- bug 1003962 - Line Runner hangs on launch with white screen - under investigation
Firefox 30 (Released!)- Release: Jun 10, 2014
- [ON TRACK] Quickshare on the context menu, Epic/Meta bug 1014021
- [ON TRACK] Evaluate pngquant for PNG size reduction bug 959833
- [ON TRACK] Firefox Hub v1 (RSS feed support + 2 add-ons), Epic/Meta bug 1014025
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Argentine Spanish (es-AR), bug 979250
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Mexican Spanish (es-MX), 979251 bug 979251
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Malay (ms), bug 979257
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Latvian (lv), bug 958021
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Indonesian (id), bug 960060
- [ON TRACK] Added locale: Belarusian (be), bug 521981
Firefox 31 (Beta) - Release: Jul 22, 2014
- [ON TRACK] Ability to re-order existing panels in about:home, not via drag and drop (see My List: Manage current lists in settings), bug 959917
- [ON TRACK] Firefox Hub v2 (currently planned feature complete), Epic/Meta bug 1014030
- [ON TRACK] Quickshare Contexts, Epic/Meta bug 1014035
- [ON TRACK] Quickshare: Settable default service for quickshare buttons, Epic/Meta bug 1014037
- [ON TRACK] Quickshare: Collect aggregate usage data, Epic/Meta bug 1014038
- [ON TRACK] UX Telemetry, Epic/Meta bug 1014044
- [ON TRACK] Added locale(s): Hindi(hi), Gujarati (gu), Bengali (bn), Punjabi (pn), Maithili (mai), Marathi (mr), Malayalam (ml), Assamese (as), Oriya (or), Tamil (ta), Telugu (te), Kannada (kn)
- [ON TRACK] EOL official Android 2.2 Support bug 1017242
Firefox 32 (Aurora) - Release: Sep 2, 2014
- [PROPOSED] Videocasting (Roku), Epic/Meta bug 921924
- [PROPOSED] Firefox Hub v3 (bugfixes & polish + more add-ons), Epic/Meta bug 1014032
- [PROPOSED] Suggested sites v1, Epic/Meta bug 988366
- [PROPOSED] Contextual tips for users
- [ON TRACK] UI lang switching
- [PROPOSED] Synced tabs page as entry point into Firefox Accounts & Sync (bug 958889)
- [PROPOSED] API: Push notifications
- [PROPOSED] Add a Clear History control to the history panel bug 998009
- [ON TRACK] Android Gamepad backend bug 852935
- [ON TRACK] Support weighed snippets bug 1002567
Firefox 33 (Nightly) - Release: Oct 14, 2014
- [PROPOSED] Form auto-fill improvements
- [PROPOSED] Tab mirroring (Roku)
- [PROPOSED] Firefox Hub: Add new My Panel from Promotional Banner
- Forgot to add "bug 1001309 - Provide a way to clear history when Fennec's put into the background" to the list of potential things to hold from Aurora. The feature works fine, but the alternative favicon/thumbnails don't look good. There is work underway to fix this (where possible) on 33. Do we want to pull this? Is the security benefit worth the uglyness?