- Dial-in: Audio-only conference# 8600
- People with Mozilla phones or softphones please dial x4000 Conf# 8600
- US/Toll-free: +1 800 707 2533, (pin 4000) Conf# 8600
- US/California/Mountain View: +1 650 903 0800, x4000 Conf# 8600
- US/California/San Francisco: +1 415 762 5700, x4000 Conf# 8600
- US/Oregon/Portland: +1 971 544 8000, x4000 Conf# 8600
- CA/British Columbia/Vancouver: +1 778 785 1540, x4000 Conf# 8600
- CA/Ontario/Toronto: +1 416 848 3114, x4000 Conf# 8600
- UK/London: +44 (0)207 855 3000, x4000 Conf# 8600
- FR/Paris: +33 1 84 88 37 37, x4000 Conf# 8600
- Gmail Chat (requires Flash and the Google Talk plugin): paste +1 650 903 0800 into the Gmail Chat box that doesn't look like it accepts phone numbers
- SkypeOut is free if you use the 800 number
- 1 All-hands Status Meeting Agenda
- 1.1 Friends of Mozilla
- 1.2 Upcoming Events
- 1.3 Project Status Updates (voice updates)
- 1.3.1 Firefox Desktop
- 1.3.2 Firefox Mobile
- 1.3.3 Firefox OS
- 1.3.4 Webmaker
- 1.3.5 Open Badges
- 1.3.6 Mozilla Science Lab
- 1.3.7 OpenNews
- 1.3.8 Mozilla Reps
- 1.3.9 Firefox Student Ambassadors
- 1.3.10 Grow Mozilla
- 1.3.11 Identity
- 1.3.12 Services
- 1.3.13 Firefox Marketplace
- 1.3.14 IT
- 1.3.15 Web Compatibility
- 1.4 Speakers
- 2 Roundtable
- 3 Welcome!
- 4 <meta>
- 4.1 Status Updates By Team (*non-voice* updates)
All-hands Status Meeting Agenda
Items in this section will be shared during the live all-hand status meeting.
- Webmaker community nominates Kim Wilkens, an active Webmaker contributor and the founder of Tech Girls for her valuable feedback on the Webmaker team's 2014 plans.
- The AMO community nominates MaDonna, a theme contributor who has designed over 10,000 themes--an amazing feat! Her most popular one, "Sunset Over Water", has 137,659 users. See all her fabulous designs here: https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/user/MaDonna/
- Props to the Mozilla Hispano Localization team for working over the weekend to help localize the 1st Spanish-language issue of "Firefox Apps & Hacks" - our monthly developer-facing newsletter. Thank you Hanna, Alma, Pablo B, & Daniel! (email@example.com)
Monday, 27 January
Are you #crafty? Mozilla Crafty, a collection of Mozillians who make all manner of crafty items in the name of Mozilla, would like to invite you to join us and make stuff after our regular project meeting.
This week, we're metal stamping! Tag a keychain or other metal item with your initials, favorite bug number, or whathaveyou on it, along the lines of this: https://blog.mozilla.org/community/2014/01/03/1531/. All tools and materials provided. Also, feel free to bring your lunch.
It's 12:15-1:15pm PST today in
- San Francisco: Community Building Room
- Mountain View: Warp Core
with a simulcast vidyo in the CBT room (we wish we could send all our remoties stamping supplies, but bear with us as we try this out for the first time)
Want to join us as we take over the world? Check us out at https://wiki.mozilla.org/Crafty or on IRC at #crafty
Tuesday, 28 January
- 07:00 PST : Security Champions
- see curtisk in #security if you want details otherwise on vidyo 624
- Tuesday, the 28th of January, at 12pm Pacific, the Strategy and Insights team will present the FirefoxOS 2014 Strategy on Air Mozilla, live from Ten Forward. We will go through what our priorities for the year are for achieving volume and differentiation. You will learn the current plan of record and the direction we are taking to further investigate and focus our actions. See you there (also recorded on AirMozilla).
- International Privacy Day
- Tuesday, January 28th, 21:00 UTC (1:00pm PST): 'User Data & You: What should privacy mean for programmers?' presented by Firefox Engineer, Allison Naaktgeboren in SFO Commons & Air Mozilla. See Air Mozilla for more info: https://air.mozilla.org/privacy-training-starting-the-conversation/
Wednesday, 29 January
Join the Mobile World Congress 2014 Core team for a presentation on what we are doing at the show this year. Learn more about our event activities, see the Mozilla stand designs and learn how you can get involved.
- January 29, 2014
- 10.00 (PST)/18:00 (UTC)
- Live from SF First Floor Commons/10FWD
- Broadcasted and Recorded on AirMozilla
Thursday, 30 January
- Flicks Retrospective Brownbag, Thursday, January 30, 2014 11 AM PST Live in SFO Commons, Streaming in MTV Ten Forward, Toronto Commons and Air Mozilla. We will also be in #airmozilla on IRC.
- "The Privacy Engineer's Manifesto: Getting from Policy to Code to QA to Value" Guest speaker: Co-author and privacy expert, Michelle Dennedy, Thursday, January 30, 2014, 23:00 UTC (3:00pm PST) SFO Commons, MTV 10 Fwd, Air Mozilla. See Air Mozilla for more info: https://air.mozilla.org/the-privacy-engineers-manifesto/
Friday, 31 January
Saturday, 01 February
Sunday, 02 February
Project Status Updates (voice updates)
Speaker Location: toronto (johnath)
- m-c is still 29, remember?
- And what a 29:
- wow. so feature. very design. wow.
Speaker Location: (mfinkle) SF
- Meetup for Home page integration
- Meetup for FxAccounts
- Continued push on pageload, startup and memory usage improvements
- Native APKs for webapps landed
Speaker Location: Adam Rogers
- Asa's weekly summary of project activity
- Yahoo! now recognizes Firefox OS as a mobile browser. Great work by the Web Compat team and Yahoo!.
- Many workweeks/meetups every week for the next month.
- Development status: Teams are stabilizing 1.3 and starting to ramp up on 1.4 feature development.
Speaker Location: OpenMatt in Toronto
- How do you teach online privacy? As part of Mozilla's efforts around International Privacy Day tomorrow, Webmaker is collecting resources that help people teach online privacy.
- Maker Party success. 500 youth attended the Destination: Chicago Maker Party led by Hive Chicago last week. Photos here
- Mozilla Gigabit Community Funds. Launching next week in Chattanooga (Feb. 6) and Kansas City (Feb. 13). Goal: support local communities building education and workforce development opportunities on high-speed gigabit networks. Register and drop by in Chattanooga or Kansas City.
Speaker Location: non-verbal
- BadgeKit Progress: Launched a clickable BadgeKit prototype with some working code last week. Now testing with participants from Chicago & New York Hive. On target for beta launch in March 2014.
- Upcoming Conferences:
Speaker Location: non-verbal
- Opening registration for a number of bootcamps this week. Care to help? Get in touch!
- Triple header at new Moore/Sloan data science centers - U Washington, NYU, UC Berkeley (March 17-18)
- Women in Science and Engineering at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab (April 14-15)
- PyCon'14 in Montreal (our largest yet with over 200 expected) (April 14-15)
Speaker Location: non-verbal
- Fellows: Held orientation for the six 2014 OpenNews fellows last week in San Francisco
- Worked with members of the ProPublica apps team to build a news app from scratch.
- App and accompanying process write-ups on ProPublica and Source go live next week.
- Source + SRCCON: Prepping for the NICAR 2014 conference at the end of February by:
- Developing new features on Source
- Laying the groundwork for our first SRCCON, which we will be announcing at the conference.
Speaker Location: WilliamR in San Francisco
- South Asia Meetup - Just finished, the Mozilla South Asia Meetup is the annual assembly of the regional community leadership to discuss the past operations & future roadmap. This event also serves as a great platform for inter-community collaborations between the South Asian Mozilla communities.
- FOSDEM 2014 - FOSDEM (Free and Open Source Software Developers' European Meeting) is a free event offering open source communities a place to meet, share ideas and collaborate. It is renowned for being highly developer-oriented and brings together 5000+ geeks from all over the world. Mozilla has a Reps-led presence every year and a developer room to hold talks on Mozilla related topics.
- Program updates - what's coming soon
- Improving how we measure our activities with a new reporting system on the Reps Portal
- Streamlining our budget request progress with automated votes on the Reps Portal
- Read the Reps discussion forum for more updates
Firefox Student Ambassadors
Written Update: non-verbal
- Launched in May 2013 to engage college students with our mission and products, we now have over 9,600 Firefox Student Ambassadors in over 30 countries.
- Find out more information about what we're up to, but checking out the following resources:
- More information about how you can engage with Firefox Student Ambassadors coming soon!
Speaker Location: Mountain View (Larissa Shapiro)
Community Builder Panel now live in Air Mozilla! Thanks to Richard Milewski, we now have an Air Mozilla recording of the community building experts panel that was part of the Community Builders meetup in December. In this panel our guests from the American Red Cross, the Northern California Girl Scouts, AIESEC (a global youth led development non profit) and Zen Desk speak to our group about their strategies for volunteer community building. https://air.mozilla.org/community-building-panel/
San Francisco (Mark Jeffries for Shyam Mani):
Some people have periodically mentioned issues of an etherpad failing to load after much use. In order to avoid these problems, Mozilla IT recommends following these guidelines...
To explain a little further: - etherpad works best when you're doing short term team planning. - It is not efficient for long term tasks, or pad name re-use.
Why, Obi-Wan, is this not so? - Etherpad stores EVERY update in the database (even single character changes if there's a small pause between them) - therefore gets clogged/slowed down after ~24 hours of use in a pad (may be faster or slower depending upon how much info is input into the pad).
A few general guidelines of how to make etherpad work better and more reliably for you:
- Don't reuse pads just to have the same pad name. (This is the biggest reason why pads crash. People delete the contents of a pad and re-use it to keep the same pad name. This is a bad idea. What's really happening is the old pad is still there, you're just writing over top of it, and making the pad that much larger in the database)
- If you've been working on a pad for more than 3-4 days of work (e.g. 4 Mondays in a row, or 4 days in a row, all the same), start a new pad.
- If you have a large copy/paste section, don't put it in the pad, pastebin it and put the pastebin link in the pad.
- If you've put a lot of text into a pad ( would equate to 5-10+ pages worth of a word document), start a new pad.
- If you plan on doing any of the above, use google docs instead.
Speaker Location: Austin (miketaylr)
- mobify.js fix for Firefox for Android affecting wired.com, thedailybanter.com (and more sites),
- Yahoo.com now recognises FxOS as a mobile browser.
- Pinterest search now works on FxOS
- redbus.in,weather.gr both send FxOS to the mobile sites now, thanks to community members Abdul and Thanos.
- All OLX sites now send FxOS to mobile site (fixed by Santiago, a Mozillian inside the company)
And a friendly reminder to dogfood and use the Mobile Web Compatibility Form to report any compat issues!
The limit is 3 minutes per speaker. It's like a lightning talk, but don't feel that you have to have slides in order to make a presentation. If you plan on showing a video, you need to contact the Air Mozilla team before the day of the meeting or you will be deferred to the next week.
|Who Are You?||What Do You Do?||What are you going to talk about?||Where are you presenting from? (Moz Space, your house, space)||Will you be sharing your screen? (yes/no, other info)||Links to slides or images you want displayed on screen||Link to where audience can find out more information|
|Andrea Wood||Online Organizing & Fundraising Lead||End-of-Year Fundraising Campaign Results||My house in Oakland, CA||Yes|||||
|Armen Zambrano||Senior Release Engineer||Announcing Release Engineering's twitter account||Toronto office||No||twitter profile||follow the squirrel at @MozRelEng|
|Lawrence Mandel||Program Manager||Horseplay The Movie||Toronto office||Video shared from Toronto||Watch on YouTube (link will be live in ~2 hours)||Follow on Twitter|
|Alex Fowler||Privacy and Public Policy Lead||Data Privacy Day is tomorrow - January 28th||San Francisco||No||Help us fight for privacy|
|Potch||Podium Pal||Project Meeting Feedback||Mountain View||Yes||Feedback Form|
Do you have a question about a Mozilla Project or initiative? Let us know by Friday- we'll do our best to get you an answer.
Please note that we may not always be able to get to every item on this list, but we will try!
|Who are you?||Area of question||Question|
|What's your name? What do you work on?||Is your question about policy, a product, a Foundation initiative, etc.||What would you like to know?|
Let's say hello to some new Mozillians! If you are not able to join the meeting live, you can add a link to a short video introducing yourself.
Introducing New Volunteers
|New Volunteer(s)||Introduced by||Speaker location||New Volunteer location||Will be working on|
|Who is the new volunteer(s)?||Who will be introducing that person?||Where is the introducer?||Where is the new person based?||What will the new person be doing?|
Introducing New Hires
|New Hire||Introduced by||Speaker location||New Hire location||Will be working on|
|Who is the new hire?||Who will be introducing that person?||Where is the introducer?||Where will the new person be working from?||What will the new person be working on?|
|Sylvestre Ledru||Lukas Blakk||San Francisco||Paris||Release Manager, Firefox Desktop & Mobile|
|Rina Jensen||Patrick Finch||San Francisco||London Office||Content Strategist|
|Eric Rahm||Dietrich Ayala||Portland||Portland office||Firefox OS performance|
|Jared Kerim||Andy McKay||Portland||Toronto office||Marketplace payments|
|Sean Rich||Sylvie Veilleux||San Francisco||San Francisco Office||Director of IT Applications and Services|
|Daniel Gohman||Michael Bebenita||Mountain View||Mountain View||Research Engineer|
|Richard Barnes||Sid Stamm||Mountain View||Washington DC area||Security Engineering & Standards|
|Bob Owen||Sid Stamm||Mountain View||Remote in UK||Security Engineering & Platform|
|David Palomino||Karen Ward||Mountain View (MTV)||MTV today, will work remote from Madrid||Operator Launch Integration (Telefonica & AMX)|
Introducing New Interns
|New Intern||Introduced by||Speaker location||New Hire location||Will be working on|
|Who is the new intern?||Who will be introducing that person?||Where is the introducer?||Where will the new person be working from?||What will the new person be working on?|
Notes and non-voice status updates that aren't part of the live meeting go here.