- 1 NPAPI Documentation
- 2 NPAPI SDK
- 3 NPAPI Specification Efforts
- 4 Plugin Compatibility Notes
The NPAPI SDK includes recommended NPAPI header files plus sample plugins and utility code. The header files are used to develop NPAPI plugins and browsers. Browser vendors typically have a copy of these headers in their source tree and we are working on standardizing them (the major differences are source-compatibility issues).
Click here to get the SDK.
NPAPI Specification Efforts
The plugin-futures Mailing List
The plugin-futures mailing list is where we discuss the evolution of NPAPI. This mailing list is for discussing the evolution of the API itself, primarily by plugin and browser developers. It is not a plugin developer tech-support list or a place for bug reports or complaints about specific plugins.
You can subscribe here, all subscriptions require approval which can take minutes to days. As of March 2010, the list archives are available to the public. The plugin-futures mailing list uses this wiki for specifications.
Making an NPAPI Extension Proposal
If you would like to submit an NPAPI proposal please document it in a page on this wiki and place a link below in the "NPAPI Specifications Under Consideration" section. Use the same formatting as other proposals. Then email the plugin-futures mailing list about your proposal, including a link to the wiki page.
If you would like to modify an accepted proposal, please document the change as a new proposal and email plugin-futures (see above). Once the change is agreed upon, the proposal can be removed and the changes made to the accepted proposal. This does not apply to minor text updates and clarifications, but certainly to any functional changes.
Accepted NPAPI Specifications
Most recently accepted specifications at the top.
- Audio Control
- Asynchronous Drawing Models (Bitmap and Windows Accelerated)
- Mac OS X Contents Scale Factor
- Document Origin Access
- Core Animation Compositing Indicator
- DOM cursor support
- Cocoa Composition Clarification
- Clear Site Data (NPAPI version 27)
- HTTP Redirect Handling (NPAPI version 26)
- Invalidating Core Animation Drawing Model
- Core Animation Drawing Model
- Nokia Maemo Image Surface Expose (Maemo only)
- ATK Native Accessibility Support
- Advanced Key Handling (NPAPI version 25)
- Cancel Source Stream (NPAPI version 24)
- Cocoa Event Model (NPAPI version 23)
- Private Mode Support (NPAPI version 22)
- Core Graphics Drawing Model
- Negotiating Event and Drawing Models
NPAPI Specifications Under Consideration
- Generic Async Values for URLs
- HttpOnly Cookies
- Error Reporting
- GET Request Headers
- New NPVariant datatypes: NPArray, NPDictionary, and NPByteArray
- HTTP Strict Transport Security
Past NPAPI Specification Proposals
These are specifications which are not currently being considered for inclusion in NPAPI. They can be re-considered if they are re-proposed via the above process.
- Support for Disabling Plugin Hang Monitor
- Plugin Bug Reporting
- Support for plugins in sandboxed iframes
- Custom Script Type Support
- Richer exception reporting in NPAPI
- Guid Attribute
- Extended X Event Model
- Draw Image Drawing Model
- Generic HTTP Support
- NPAPI Visibility Notifications
- Plugin runtime Opt Out
Plugin Compatibility Notes
This page contains compatibility notes for released versions of plugins.